Steven Wilson Steven Wilson 2.0/5.1/Atmos mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both mixes of In Absentia, and while I like both, I prefer Wilson's overall. I never tracked down Scheiner's mix of Deadwing, contenting myself just with Wilson's. Maybe I should seek it out. :unsure: It would be really cool to hear the full, two-disc release of Signify in 5.1 ... oh well, I guess we can't have everything.
What are you on about, mate? Each of those albums has only received one surround mix, and in both cases, the mixer was Elliot Scheiner. In Absentia's stereo mix was also not by Steven Wilson, but rather Tim Palmer and Mark O'Donoughue (Deadwing's stereo was mixed by Wilson).

Mixes are really good, mastering can be improved, I think that's the consensus about these records
OK, yeah, it might be the mastering. I think I liked them when I first heard them back when they were released, but now they just sound loud and clumsy.

Ohhh boy, I got all of that badly wrong. :( Sorry, everyone. I had it in my brain that the two DTS Entertainment 5.1 releases did not contain the same mixes as their counterparts in the later WHD series of CD/DVD-A sets. (I picked up the second run of those - IEZP-54 through -58 - much earlier than a copy of the DTS Ent. DVD-A of In Absentia.) Thanks for pointing it out; I should probably get my head examined. 😖 There’s a silver lining though, I guess: no need for me to pine after a DTS Ent. copy of Deadwing, under that misguided apprehension. 😅 More moneys to spend with Michael Dutton instead.

I’m hoping that since Steven finds Atmos to be so much fun, that the rumored deluxe edition of Deadwing will have a SW 5.1 mix and Atmos mix.

It’ll be one more, and probably the tipping point, reason to upgrade the listening system.

I’m hoping that since Steven finds Atmos to be so much fun, that the rumored deluxe edition of Deadwing will have a SW 5.1 mix and Atmos mix.
It's not a rumor; it's confirmed. And I don't see that happening. It will most likely follow the exact same format as last year's In Absentia deluxe.

Opeth:
- Damnation cd 2.0 (mixed by SW & Opeth, 5.1 by SW, unreleased)

Maybe someone's already mentioned this (in which case I apologize), but Wilson's 5.1 of "Damnation" has most definitely been released, in a boxed set with "Deliverance." (the 5.1 of "Deliverance" wasn't done by Wilson, though, but by Bruce Soord).

Here you go:
Opeth - Deliverance & Damnation (2015, CD) | Discogs

But then, this list needs more updates than just that one :)

Maybe someone's already mentioned this (in which case I apologize), but Wilson's 5.1 of "Damnation" has most definitely been released, in a boxed set with "Deliverance." (the 5.1 of "Deliverance" wasn't done by Wilson, though, but by Bruce Soord).

Here you go:
Opeth - Deliverance & Damnation (2015, CD) | Discogs

But then, this list needs more updates than just that one :)
Thanks. Yes, the list needs updating but I lost sight of it. Also, there is a major topic started by @fredblue with surround mixing by all the major mixers which serves the puprose better, as it highlights much more than just SW.

Back