Steven Wilson Steven Wilson IAA Interview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
I have to admit I was pretty nervous going into this one - you'd think the man would be jaded from the seemingly-endless press he's been doing since the start of the pandemic - but he couldn't have been kinder and more generous with his answers. Still, I hope I didn't bore him! The focus on surround should set this apart from a lot of the other recent pieces out there, but I'll let you all be the judge.
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/202...-grammy-award-winning-immersive-mix-engineer/

I have to admit I was pretty nervous going into this one - you'd think the man would be jaded from the seemingly-endless press he's been doing since the start of the pandemic - but he couldn't have been kinder and more generous with his answers. Still, I hope I didn't bore him! The focus on surround should set this apart from a lot of the other recent pieces out there, but I'll let you all be the judge.
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/202...-grammy-award-winning-immersive-mix-engineer/
Absolutely fabulous! Much better morning-coffee reading than the daily news. The too much v. too little question--and the "Tipping Point" question--were especially interesting, not to mention his comments on mixing for headphones and his dishing on the Spatial Audio binaural algorithm. (On the other hand: "There’s plenty of things we should be angry at [Apple] for, but Atmos just exploded when they embraced it last year.")

Love the fact that he's advocating so hard for physical discs. And so glad you asked about Apple Venus, even if it's a heartbreaking answer. (Likewise English Settlement. Damn you, Top of the Pops!) On the plus side: "I’ll hear the squeaky pedal on Keith Moon’s bass drum and have to recreate all these details." And GG! And more TFF!! And good on you for planting that odds 'n' sods idea in his head!

Last edited:
And so glad you asked about Apple Venus, even if it's a heartbreaking answer. (Likewise English Settlement. Damn you, Top of the Pops!)
I'm bummed about the loss of the two Ultravox hits as well, but at least we're getting a partial 5.1 package for that one. I'm kicking myself for not asking him if a Three Piece Suite-style compilation of what's left of the remaining XTC '80s albums is something they're looking into.

I'm kicking myself for not asking him if a Three Piece Suite-style compilation of what's left of the remaining XTC '80s albums is something they're looking into.
Oh, that'd be good. (Better than nothing, anyway.) I'd also be curious to know what he thinks about the prospects for stem-extraction technology--and, for that matter, its current state-of-the-art.

great interview! thank you! 🥰

So frickin' good! So great I nearly hit the "Gift" button (if I knew what it did? ;))

I'm glad you brought up the differences between streaming quality to uncompressed physical releases; it certainly is a major pet peeve with me; so him being an advocate for more physical releases like SDE is encouraging.

It's great that you gave him the idea of putting together a surround collection of his non-LP tracks. I hope he follows through with the idea.
Same here, though I suspect I may be the only person on this board that wants to hear the 19-minute version of "Personal Shopper" in 5.1 & Atmos :ROFLMAO:

You could argue there's past precedent for that concept in the form of the 4 1/2 mini-album.

Yes thanks for doing that interview Jonathan and sharing it with us.
The explanation as to why some hit songs multitracks of bands disappeared makes sense now as explained in interview, sad that this happened.

That is exciting news about chance for more Tears for Fears albums to come out and very cool that SW involved with the next Who surround album coming out.

That is exciting news about chance for more Tears for Fears albums to come out and very cool that SW involved with the next Who surround album coming out.
It was indeed amazing to hear that either Big Chair or Seeds has already been mixed in Atmos! Whichever one it is, I wonder if it'll drop on Apple Music and/or Tidal with no forewarning?

Well done, Jonathan!!! You asked great questions that exemplify your deep knowledge of the subject material as well as Wilson's body of work. I hope you do more with other mixers, artists, engineers etc.
This is maybe the eighth or ninth one I've done to date, though there are certainly quite a few more surround-friendly people in the industry that I'd like to speak to! I'm still bummed I wasn't involved in the Elliot Scheiner one, it was done a month or two before I joined the IAA team.

This is maybe the eighth or ninth one I've done to date, though there are certainly quite a few more surround-friendly people in the industry that I'd like to speak to! I'm still bummed I wasn't involved in the Elliot Scheiner one, it was done a month or two before I joined the IAA team.
Eight or nine? Why wasn't I informed of this? ;) Seriously, do you have a list of the ones you've done? I would like to read them all. I saw you did a review of The Tipping Point.

Back