Steven Wilson - "Insurgentes"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe me this will be worth it.
It really doesn't matter if there is ever a separate CD/DVD release at a later date either (and AFAIK this is not going to happen, although things can & do change) as this set will be so well worthwhile.
The imagery is stunning & disturbing at the same time and the 120 page book is a very nice touch indeed. When you consider the production costs - not to mention how much cash you'd normally have to plonk down for a book of photographs like this on it's own - and think about what you're getting it is great VFM.
2 CD - the main album on one & additional tracks on another totalling almost 75 minutes of music.
the DVDA, with 24-bit stereo, DTS 5.1 & MLP 5.1/2.0 and an 18 minute extract from next years film "Insurgentes".

It's worth it just to see those iPods getting killed......

It seems like an excellent package. Right now though, with the way things are going, I can't/won't fork out that much for it. It's no fault of SW's.

Believe me this will be worth it.
It really doesn't matter if there is ever a separate CD/DVD release at a later date either (and AFAIK this is not going to happen, although things can & do change) as this set will be so well worthwhile.
You are probably right, we complain too much.
Still I don't like having to buy a book with work from Lasse Hoile (which I don't like much, the work I mean :eek:). It just makes a clumsy DVD-A case :(
(I don't even need the CD as I probably won't play it, but that's accepted)

Anyway, I'll bite the bullet and hope for the best.

In the end I cancelled the Genesis box set far to close to Christmas to really justify forking out that much on myself. Pragmatically looking at it just over £10 per disc is not that bad. The book apparently weighs in the region of 1.5KG (3lb for those in old money and across the pond:) ) so a pretty hefty tome.

Rather have new music done well, ill have to put genesis on my Xmas list or birthday list (Feb. is not so far away) (and given genesis previous efforts it can wait)

Last edited:
Ordered mine weeks & weeks ago......

Keeps getting delayed though :) - 13/10 is the latest. I'll wait for the first reviews before jumping in as it'll be more readily available than the SW set. I made the mistake of pre-ordering the Rory Gallagher SACD sound unheard - undeniably the worst sounding SACD I've ever heard ;)

Cheers

Martin

While I appreciate the time, money, and effort SW put into this project, there is no personally sane way I could justify $76 on a CD/DVD-A set when I know the packaging and photography, no matter how well done, would be of near zero interest to me. Especially without any way to preview the album or the book prior to purchase. Though I have great respect for SW's accomplishments and admire his labor of love, I'm definitely holding off on this one. . .I guess I'm not THAT much of a fan! If SW wanted to release the CD/DVD-A limited edition without the fancy packaging at a premium like $30 then I'd be sold.

To those that jump on board, I'm sure it will be a great ride. Enjoy! No doubt I'll stay tuned for reviews.
Josh :)

Posted at Burning Shed (and a couple other spots)

We'​re well aware​ of how expen​sive the speci​al editi​ons of Insur​gente​s
must appea​r and we'​re genui​nely sorry​ if peopl​e have taken​ offen​se.​

Howev​er,​ what peopl​e must bear in mind is that the posta​ge costs​ are
exces​sive due to the extre​me weigh​t (1.6 kilos​)​ of the packa​ge and
the fact that we need to buy speci​al prote​ctive​ packa​ging in order​ to
send it out prope​rly.​ As a compa​ny who has frequ​ent deali​ngs with the
Post Offic​e,​ we are sendi​ng this out as cheap​ly as we can. Obvio​usly,​
this is somet​hing we all looke​d into serio​usly befor​e the launc​h of
Insur​gente​s.​

As for the actua​l produ​ct price​,​ the elabo​rate hardb​ack bookl​et has
speci​ally commi​ssion​ed photo​graph​y/​ artwo​rk and is incre​dibly​
expen​sive to produ​ce.​ SW has paid for this himse​lf.​ The cost of
manuf​actur​ing alone​ ensur​es that Steve​n won'​t make a great​ profi​t on
this even if all the copie​s sell out.

This was defin​itely​ a labou​r of love rathe​r than a ticke​t to easy money​.​

Regar​ds,​

Burni​ng Shed

I, too, will have to miss out on this one. $76 for a boxset wouldn't be bad but I really don't need/want a picture book. If it comes out at a more reasonable price without the book I would be happy to buy it. I am really sad I won't be getting this but my wife had minor fit when I told her the Gabriel Genesis box was going to be over $170. Add that to the Dorren CD-4 demod and I am basically done for the year!!

Sorry Steven....

I bit the bullet and dropped the $76 for this set. I was totally unaware that this was even being released until I got the email from burning shed this morning, and certainly wasn't prepared for the sticker price, but when I thought about how much I spent for the NIN Ghosts deluxe edition ($300 + shipping), this seemed almost reasonable. I figured in a few months, that $76 would be spent here and there and I would be pissed that I missed out on a limited edition set from SW that will no doubt bring me much pleasure in the future. Its just a shame that it costs so much to send things like this across the pond. Can't wait to hear it in hi-rez!!!

If that were entirely true, I could understand the basic reluctance. There is at least one trailer that gives you a taste of what the music is like and by now we know what to expect for the visuals to some degree.

Watch this and try not to be affected by it; I failed not to be moved. :)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...&MyToken=a51e5e2d-6674-4944-b4b1-121b45990df6

I'm sorry, but for my $76 he's got to do better than a couple of teaser trailers. Music sounds pretty good, what you can hear of it, no doubt about that. I also admit, not everything SW/PT/N-M has put out has wowed me as much as it has so many on this forum, so I won't gamble on this.

That's just me, and I get that. Hopefully there will be a standard CD/DVD-A release at a later date. I'm betting there will be.

Regards,
Josh

All I can say is that I know the music is truly worthwhile - even at this price point - and nobody who buys this will be disappointed.
The versatility & range on this is even greater than any of the PT titles.

I'm sorry, but for my $76 he's got to do better than a couple of teaser trailers. Music sounds pretty good, what you can hear of it, no doubt about that. I also admit, not everything SW/PT/N-M has put out has wowed me as much as it has so many on this forum, so I won't gamble on this.

That's just me, and I get that. Hopefully there will be a standard CD/DVD-A release at a later date. I'm betting there will be.

Regards,
Josh

Well, this is now sold out according to the website. I did not order it as I had spent enough on other orders over past month as well as I still have a preorder for Genesis boxset outstanding.

I sure hope that Steve Wilson will still put out the DVDA(minus the book) in the New Year. Does anyone know if there are any plans to put out the DVDA?

peter

Thanks Neil, I hope Steven won't shut out the rest of us that didn't order the delux edition of his new solo release.

peter

Exactly.

I think there are many that would definitely buy a single dvd-a version but passed on the deluxe version.

I know I would and did.

Thanks Neil, I hope Steven won't shut out the rest of us that didn't order the delux edition of his new solo release.

peter

I think it would be foolish not to release the DVD-A as part of an inexpensive edition. So much work has already been done it would be a shame not to capitalize on it. That's why I'm cautiously optimistic we'll see another edition at a much more affordable cost.

Time will tell and patience is a virtue (or so I'm told! ;))
Josh

Anyone fancy 2 tix for sundays london show ? A family bereavement means I cant go , pm me if interested asap

Best

~M~

Back