Steven Wilson - "Insurgentes"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your response Neil.

To clarify what I meant. If you look at the top of the Insurgentes discs #2 it says this:

1 - For DVD-Audio players only
Advanced Resolution 5.1 of Insurgentes (24/48 resolution)
Advanced Resolution stereo of Insurgentes (24/48 resolution)

2 - For DVD - Audio & DVD Video players
DTS 5.1 of Insurgentes
24 bit stereo LPCM

So I'm assuming they are referring to the Disc numbers when they say 1 and 2 right? But when I place Disc 1 into my Oppo DV-970HD, it immediately goes to CD and plays the disc as a normal CD, no menu nothing.

When I place Disc 2 in I get the menu which allows me to select Audio settings. In there if I choose Advanced Resolution 5.1 it will not start, freezes on the playlist screen.

When you say setting "compiled" to 4:3 do you mean switching the resolution in the Oppo's settings menu? If so I tried that and it did not do anything.

As a side note, when I load Disc 2 and the main menu fades in the fourth option is labelled as "Extras" and then switches to "Credits" when fully loaded. Is there Extras on this disc that these problems may be preventing me from seeing/ hearing?

I'm trying to narrow down whether this is an issue with my player of perhaps that I have a bad disc and need to exchange it.

Thanks for any suggestions....

Dennis

Hi Dennis.
I've not actually got the retail edition myself - all I have is the limited one & the test moulds I checked.

However - I am seriously confused about anything playing as a CD when it is actually a DVD-A/V disc.
This is what *should* happen:
Load disc, get intro sequence.
Go to main menu - you should see "PLAY" with a little up arrow next to it.
Hit that - disc will play the Advanced Resolution stream your player is set up for as both 5.1 & 2.0 streams are in Group 1.
There are so far 5 players identified that freeze up here:
Pioneer 578
Yamaha DVD S657
Oppo OPDV 971H
Onkyo DV-SP502E
Integra DTR - 6.5 (made by Onkyo)
There is a firmware update for the Pioneers, and I have the ISO image if anyone needs it (just send PM). Usual Caveats with this thing apply.

If you have a DVD-V player, it will not load the AUDIO_TS.IFO file, but only the VIDEO_TS.IFO file giving you the option of either LPCM stereo or 5.1 DTS. This should simply not autoplay at all.
I think that disc 1 is the CD-DA, and disc 2 is the DVD-A/V. The description is misleading, and it should say this:

For DVD-Audio players only

For DVD - Audio & DVD Video players
DTS 5.1 of Insurgentes
24 bit stereo LPCM
"Insurgentes" documentary extract*
"Insurgentes" documentary trailers*

(* = Where available, depending on edition owned)

The "EXTRAS" tag in the intro is a mistake - it didn't get picked up in QC (Sorry about that - my fault). It looks like you have the edition with no documentary extracts. I thought I had altered the intro, but apparently not. oops?

When I say "compiled to 4:3" that is exactly what I mean. The disc is formatted as 16:9 widescreen, with letterboxing for 4:3 screens. There is no Pan & Scan option, and as such what you have to do here (authoring) is create the following track screens:
Background Image
16:9 SPHL image
4:3 Letterbox SPHL image
Button image
These are all there.
However - the 5 players above refuse to play the MLP streams formatted as 16:9, and we found a workaround is to recompile the disc out of Sonic by setting the TV aspect ratio to 4:3 instead of 16:9. This has worked on all 3 of the people that have so far had this disc (I have shipped another 3 of these as well, and that is all we have had trouble with. 6 discs in total)

It's definitely a player fault, and not a bad disc.
I will add the Oppo 970D to the list, but so far Oppo will not even return my calls. Their attitude is that this player is obsolete, and no longer supported at all.
I can do a written disc for you if you will send me proof of purchase and a return address, as it seems that Oppo will not help you out.
It's not my fault - but it's not your fault either so it seems that it is down to me to provide a fix solution purely to keep everyone happy.

There will be no more 16:9 discs from me as a result of this fiasco.
Shame, as things look a hell of a lot better in 16:9. Ah well.

Figures they would! It might make Mike Mettler forget his recent vinyl fixation for just a little while.

If we had about 10-12 releases like this, the industry's surround amnesia might subside and value would present itself.

There's going to be 10 King Crimson DVDA this year, plus Bass Communion & others too. Who knows what may happen.....

There's going to be 10 King Crimson DVDA this year, plus Bass Communion & others too. Who knows what may happen.....

So then it is "confirmed" that the KC ones are DVD-A then? I think we pretty much had guessed that, but it's nice to know for sure! ;)

I think the earlier confusion with the numbering lies with the labeling #1 dvd-audio, #2 dvd video on the dvd included in the set. It refers to the two options on the dvd and not to disc 1 (cd) and disc 2 (dvd). It didn't help that they labeled the two discs 1 and 2 which would lead some to think that one disc is for dvd video and the other dvd-audio. Too bad about the 16x9 problems. BTW, anyone else download the K-Scope free sampler? There's a sweet Harmony Korine Unplugged Mix on there. That would have been cool to hear in 5.1 mlp (future extra on a disc to come? :) ).

players identified that freeze up here:
Pioneer 578
Yamaha DVD S657
Oppo OPDV 971H
Onkyo DV-SP502E
Integra DTR - 6.5 (made by Onkyo)
There is a firmware update for the Pioneers,
As the Onkyo 502E is based on a Pioneer (most likely 575) there is a good chance it can be fixed with firmware too. I think you can use certain Pioneer firmware if the owner dares.
I remember I had to update my Onkyo DV-SP502E to play the HiRez on the latest No-man disc. There's link in some thread about that. (I use an Oppo 980 now).

As the Onkyo 502E is based on a Pioneer (most likely 575) there is a good chance it can be fixed with firmware too. I think you can use certain Pioneer firmware if the owner dares.
I remember I had to update my Onkyo DV-SP502E to play the HiRez on the latest No-man disc. There's link in some thread about that. (I use an Oppo 980 now).

Would that disc have been "Schoolyard Ghosts" by any chance?
If so, can you please send me a copy of the update?

Appreciate these details.....

Would that disc have been "Schoolyard Ghosts" by any chance?
If so, can you please send me a copy of the update?
Yes and yes?
I used the search function of this forum and found the thread about Schoolyard Ghosts
Following a couple of links starting from there I found the firmware that solved my problem with Schoolyard Ghosts (here). I used it on an Onkyo DV-SP502E.

All usual disclaimers when updating firmware :)
I even kept detailed instructions:
Code:
The .bin file included in NEW_ONKYO.zip must be written in a CD-R
 with these settings:
Default ISO 8+3 char.
Type 1
NO multisession
Finalize CD
NO JOLIET
cd title: PIONEER (it won't be recognised with other label!!)

To upgrade put the CD in the tray, and press Play button
when asked to, by the message on TV screen. If you
don't will to proceed press the eject button.
After Play button is pressed the player will read the firmware file
and do the upgrade. Display shows "Loading".
It is important not to do anything at this time period!
Normally the DVD logo should appear on TV afterwards BUT
in my case this never happened. I was so disappointed!
I waited about 10minutes and then started pressing buttons.
The player didn't respond in any command. I thought
it was dead.BUT I went through the known process of REBOOT.
I ve unplugged it and then put the power plug back on.
And here it was alive & kicking!! :D

Did you try renaming the file(B4GA2106.BIN) that is in onkyo.zip file?
This firmware is ready with the proper onkyo logo & screensaver, you don't need
the other files. This firmware is a "must have" to every onkyo player!

so
cd label is PIONEER
 and I find that each model have diferent prefix:
p470  B4FA2xx6.BIN
p575  B4BA2xx6.BIN
o502e B4GA2xx6.BIN  *
p578a B4EASxx6.BIN
 so try to find the correct one for you

by the way you can put all variations on same cd DVD will choose correct.
For DVD based on same chip (like European model) (Pioneer 575 clone)

Try this at your own risk! You may void warranty or destroy player with this process.

i apologize for the newbie question, and i've searched and will continue to do so but also wanted to ask... does anyone have a link they can share to the bonus 2nd disc / songs that was part of the limited edition release? i think this is OK to ask as they are now sold out (i believe)? any help appreciated.

Semi off-topic: PT dates suddenly announced for Sept 2009 in the states. ROABP members can order tickets NOW

The band is happy to announce its upcoming Autumn US tour in support of its new album. The following dates have been confirmed:

Tue 15 Sep SEATTLE, WA MOORE THEATER
Wed 16 Sep PORTLAND, OR ROSELAND
Fri 18 Sep SAN FRANCISCO WARFIELD
Sat 19 Sep LOS ANGELES CLUB NOKIA
Mon 21 Sep CLEVELAND, OH HOUSE OF BLUES
Tue 22 Sep CHICAGO, IL VIC THEATER
Thu 24 Sep NY, NY TERMINAL 5
Sat 26 Sep PHILLY ELECTRIC FACTORY
Sun 27 Sep BOSTON, MA HOUSE OF BLUES

These tickets are exclusively available to ROABP members from today. On sale dates for the general public are all on April 17, except Boston and Chicago, which are on sale April 18, and San Francisco, on sale April 19.

Tickets to Seattle, NYC, and LA will have to be mailed, so please make sure that your address is up to date.

I suspect another leg or two AFTER the album is released.

Semi off-topic: PT dates suddenly announced for Sept 2009 in the states. ROABP members can order tickets NOW

The band is happy to announce its upcoming Autumn US tour in support of its new album. The following dates have been confirmed:

Tue 15 Sep SEATTLE, WA MOORE THEATER
Wed 16 Sep PORTLAND, OR ROSELAND
Fri 18 Sep SAN FRANCISCO WARFIELD
Sat 19 Sep LOS ANGELES CLUB NOKIA
Mon 21 Sep CLEVELAND, OH HOUSE OF BLUES
Tue 22 Sep CHICAGO, IL VIC THEATER
Thu 24 Sep NY, NY TERMINAL 5
Sat 26 Sep PHILLY ELECTRIC FACTORY
Sun 27 Sep BOSTON, MA HOUSE OF BLUES

These tickets are exclusively available to ROABP members from today. On sale dates for the general public are all on April 17, except Boston and Chicago, which are on sale April 18, and San Francisco, on sale April 19.

Tickets to Seattle, NYC, and LA will have to be mailed, so please make sure that your address is up to date.

I suspect another leg or two AFTER the album is released.

Good news! Sounds like I have plans in September. Does this seem like it's really early to start selling tickets for an autumn show?

Good news! Sounds like I have plans in September. Does this seem like it's really early to start selling tickets for an autumn show?

I think the UK shows have been on sale for a little while already.

Another perhaps curious thing is the apparent gearing up of hype for the new album - aren't we supposed to be expecting the Blank Planet DVD before then...no mention of that lately?

Well, I guess this way the tickets will already be for sale and ready for purchase when the DVD and new CD are released. Plus, those of paying attention (thanks Tim!) can get ours before the masses take notice with the up coming releases. Maybe?

There's only so much time on the calendar, things come and go. The DVD release can be fit into any "lull" period (not that SW seems to have one).

We're still mid-cycle on the solo album Insurgentes, which has to run it's course. Can't say for sure how fast SW is completing the new album, but I suspect the Sept US leg and Oct European dates are in advance of it's release. My guess:

Spring - solo album
Summer - DVD?
Fall - prelim tour then album release
Winter - more touring

Yikes!

I had lamented missing King's X earlier and I just learned that they're now opening for Porcupine Tree in Cleveland on Sept 21st!!!

Must make plans.....

There's only so much time on the calendar, things come and go. The DVD release can be fit into any "lull" period (not that SW seems to have one).

We're still mid-cycle on the solo album Insurgentes, which has to run it's course. Can't say for sure how fast SW is completing the new album, but I suspect the Sept US leg and Oct European dates are in advance of it's release. My guess:

Spring - solo album
Summer - DVD?
Fall - prelim tour then album release
Winter - more touring

I would bet that since SW doesn't have the same commercial problems (read: red tape) that most people have because the entire recording/mixing/mastering process is all self-financed that the album will be released before they go on tour in September. It doesn't take that long to get things done when there aren't tons of label stuff to work out.

I would hope anyways. I needs me my new PT fix.

I just got my tickets for the SF show. I got the main floor general admission, so that was nice. But, $30 per ticket and $27.65 in fees for 2 tickets :eek: Ticketmaster should just change their name to TicketPirate. Fuckers. That's about the same price as the PT club. So, are there any service charges when you buy through ROABP? Next time I may do that or plan to be in SF to buy the tickets in person.

I hope that the new disc will be out soon, I like to know the music before seeing it live. PT is about the only band I would pay to see new music though, so either way I'm really looking forward to the show.

I just bought mine for the SF show as well and I agree about the extra charges Ticketmaster charges. I thought flying was bad.

Back