Steven Wilson interviews Alan Parsons

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was good to watch, thanks for the link!

I got the impression they didn't want to piss off any hardcore analog fans, so kept their conversation light. Which is probably wise. If I had the money, damn right I'd buy a Studer A800 & Neve 32 channel console. But I use a DAW for now.

I'd also gladly buy crazy expensive hifi speakers. But again, reality dictates we use what we can afford.

Nice to see those two chatting about things, they clearly respect each other. And justifiably so.

I would like to think that Atmos wasnt mentioned AT ALL, was due the fact that this took place in 2019, when SW hadn't (or maybe just TFB by then) mixed any album in the format.

It would have been more enjoyable if Steven didn’t constantly talk over Alan all the time.
This is the difference because of age ....Alan takes thoughtful time to think about and elucidate the answer, whilst Steven is like an excitable school boy that can’t stop blabbing !
YMMV

It would have been more enjoyable if Steven didn’t constantly talk over Alan all the time.
This is the difference because of age ....Alan takes thoughtful time to think about and elucidate the answer, whilst Steven is like an excitable school boy that can’t stop blabbing !
YMMV
I too was an excitable babbling school boy when I was 51! 🤣 Yeah, it's tough getting old.

I would like to think that Atmos wasnt mentioned AT ALL, was due the fact that this took place in 2019, when SW hadn't (or maybe just TFB by then) mixed any album in the format.

When Alan was asking Steven if he was doing a new record alone or with a band... I was thinking it was referring to the Porcupine Tree recent album, But.... a banner apeared talking about TFB album and I then realized it is an outdated interview.

When Alan was asking Steven if he was doing a new record alone or with a band... I was thinking it was referring to the Porcupine Tree recent album, But.... a banner apeared talking about TFB album and I then realized it is an outdated interview.
I think the interview was recorded for the super duper hifi fair they were talking about but because of covid it has been delayed for over two years, now the fair is taking place the interview promoting it has been released, that’s my take on it anyway. There is a little bit at the end saying the interview was recorded in 2019

Yes, even though it's a few years old, this is an excellent, enjoyable interview. AP seems to have a lot of respect for SW's work & technique in music mixing...
Saw this sometime back & wondered if anyone from our group had already posted it.

Last edited:
This video is worthwhile just to see peeks of SW’s music room. The discussion of analog vs digital recording from engineering giants of the last 55 years is very insightfu.

Amazing how fast things have changed.
That interview was recorded in Dec 2019 and I didn't hear Atmos
mentioned even once during the conversation of immersive music
recording, only 5.1. Now only 2 1/2 years later and everything is 7.1
or Atmos.
Personally Ive been pleased in the extreme over the road we've traveled.

Also although I knew their feelings, I was happy to hear them both slam
the use of heavy compression.. Having the two biggest names in modern
engineering take a public stand is an awesome thing.

Back