Steven Wilson - Limited Edition Of One (Book)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it in a second, what a bargain! I feel that it's my vengeance against the overpriced box set of PT
Thanks for posting that I grabbed one too.

I imported the deluxe edition but couldn't resist an electronic copy for an additional $2

I've been listening to it as part of my Audible subscription, so I got it as a er "freebie". IMHO I think $1.99 is about what it's worth.

Unfortunately it's not available to Australians at this price. Amazon forces you to the Aussie store where it's $24.99
What is the reasoning behind this, who's making all the cash?
Are there some crazy import duties involved, anyone know why the huge markups?

What is the reasoning behind this, who's making all the cash?
Are there some crazy import duties involved, anyone know why the huge markups?
There's no duty on electronic transactions as far as I'm aware. Just Amazon geoblocking in different markets.

Love him or hate him, he's an interesting guy. But I base that more on his song lyrics since other than his music I actually know little about him.
I have wondered if his observations on childhood are just that, or more from personal experience. Then you have lyrics , like having a heart attack in a rest stop, that have much more reach than all the teenage-angst stuff. Consider "The Creator Has a Master Tape" as @ummagumma referenced, which to me is just a fun kind of song. "My Ashes" is a chilling mix with references to an unhappy childhood yet with deeper connotations that make me appreciate his song writing ability all the more.
But what do I know....? I've speculated privately on song lyrics before only to find they were no deeper than scribbling on a napkin for 5 minutes while fighting boredom in a bar.
I find that Steven is a good storyteller. My wife says he's "whiny", but I think that's just a character he plays sometimes :ROFLMAO:. Hand. Cannot. Erase. is a good example of this; he is definitely coming from the perspective of someone else on that album and I find most of his albums are like this.

Sometimes though, it feels like it's something he actually feels strongly about. You can tell when he writes something, and then when his life changes he changes perspective. For example, in Blackfield V he very clearly makes the point that he thinks starting a family is a waste of time and it was either his career or start a family (aside from them lyrics on From 44 to 48, he did mention this in an interview). Then, bam, he met his wife and is now has two step-daughters and his position has clearly changed on that. There are other examples, mostly from his earlier work, or being anti iPod culture and "the children are not OK", as seen on Fear of a Blank Planet.

I find that Steven is a good storyteller. My wife says he's "whiny", but I think that's just a character he plays sometimes :ROFLMAO:. Hand. Cannot. Erase. is a good example of this; he is definitely coming from the perspective of someone else on that album and I find most of his albums are like this.

Sometimes though, it feels like it's something he actually feels strongly about. You can tell when he writes something, and then when his life changes he changes perspective. For example, in Blackfield V he very clearly makes the point that he thinks starting a family is a waste of time and it was either his career or start a family (aside from them lyrics on From 44 to 48, he did mention this in an interview). Then, bam, he met his wife and is now has two step-daughters and his position has clearly changed on that. There are other examples, mostly from his earlier work, or being anti iPod culture and "the children are not OK", as seen on Fear of a Blank Planet.
He did the same thing on "Fear Of A Blank Planet" singing

"He's in a band,.....The clothes are all black, the music is crap"

Next thing you know, he's wearing black clothes and releasing "The Incident"

Last edited:
Back