Steven Wilson Steven Wilson on Bob Lefsetz Podcast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's Metallica. Their self-titled "black" album was released 30 years ago this year, and the band has put out major box sets for all of their albums so far. And I'm pretty sure that he is at least chummy with Rob Trujillo, and heard somewhere that Hetfield was a fan of The Raven That Refused to Sing. Jess Cope, who has directed several animated videos for SW going back to the Storm Corrosion record, also did a video for a song from Metallica's last album.

I think it's Metallica. Their self-titled "black" album was released 30 years ago this year, and the band has put out major box sets for all of their albums so far. And I'm pretty sure that he is at least chummy with Rob Trujillo, and heard somewhere that Hetfield was a fan of The Raven That Refused to Sing. Jess Cope, who has directed several animated videos for SW going back to the Storm Corrosion record, also did a video for a song from Metallica's last album.
The "black" album already has a DVD-A which I think is really good. :cool:

I just can't see there being enough layers in any of those songs (aside from maybe "Nothing Else Matters") to fill four 24-track machines, but who knows? Some interesting info on the recording/mixing process in this article:
https://www.mixonline.com/recording/classic-tracks-metallicas-enter-sandman-366232

I hope not. May have been their top seller but also represents the beginning of commercial Metallica and the death of the great, kickass Metallica. At least IMO.

I'm sensing a distinct lack of love here for Kenny G's Breathless. :p🎷 (C'mon: '90s, American, sold over 10 million, and would have a wealth of discrete tracks to draw from! Then again ..... Kenny G..... 😏)

My #1 hope would be Pearl Jam's Ten. Followed by the Pumpkins' Mellon... and RHCP's BSSM, as mentioned by several others above. I'd also quite like to hear August And Everything After. I really like the treatment it was given on AP's stereo SACD.

Please ... not Kid Rock. 🤞

Steven didn't answer about how much money he made with those 5.1 mixes. I am just curious about this. Is someone here have this info? I know that artists don't talk about this often but maybe there's a way to have an estimation.

As Steven hinted in the interview, it's very variable and depends on each project. "It's a labor of love."

Steven Wilson is interviewed for almost two hours on the latest Bob Lefsetz podcast. As well as talking about his career, he spends an enormous amount of time discussing how he got into mixing, and 5.1, and commentary on the state of the industry.

A must listen for anyone on this forum

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-the-bob-lefsetz-podcast-30806836/?keyid[0]=The Bob Lefsetz Podcast&keyid[1]=Jake Gold&sc=podcast_widget

‎The Bob Lefsetz Podcast on Apple Podcasts

Steven Wilson

The Bob Lefsetz Podcast on Stitcher

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/9ff4fb19-54d4-41ae-ae7a-8a6f8d3dafa8/The-Bob-Lefsetz-Podcast
Thanks for posting this! He just interviewed Steve Lilywhite and was looking forward to checking that out. This comes first though.

As Steven hinted in the interview, it's very variable and depends on each project. "It's a labor of love."

He made it sound like he's got a steady enough income from his back catalog that he doesn't need to insist on market rates, whatever those might be. Definitely well below the $100k he implied were lavished on a couple of those early 2000s mixes!

Any chance it could be an album by Prince?

That’s a good guess as well. Prince was on SW’s surround wishlist.

Still, if one were to pick an album by Prince to do in surround, wouldn’t one of his 80s albums be a better bet, rather than one of his 90s ones?

That’s a good guess as well. Prince was on SW’s surround wishlist.

Still, if one were to pick an album by Prince to do in surround, wouldn’t one of his 80s albums be a better bet, rather than one of his 90s ones?

Plus, the last I knew, Prince's estate was still a mess. Even more so now that the IRS is claiming it's way undervalued.

That was a great interview, thanks for posting it. I have always wanted to know more about how he got into surround, That he hated ES's original mix of In Absentia was a big surprise since the deluxe edition was released with the mix we all know. I laughed out loud when Wilson described Scheiner grudgingly agreed to redo it with Wilson sitting behind him. It was great to here his process and to speak about something other than The Future Bites, I would love another two hours about how he approaches his own material thses days.

I it’s from know 1989 (September) and not an album I've listened to, but what about Janet Jackson's Rhythem Nation 1814?

Last edited:
For sure, Metallica Black wouldn't be my first choice. I have the DVD-A already. That said, I would never turn down a SW mix of Metallica. I bet he could make that monster rock.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what he has in the can. Whoopee

Back