Steven Wilson Steven Wilson on Bob Lefsetz Podcast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was fascinating! Thanks for posting--so much to unpack there.

Around an hour in, Wilson mentions he's currently working on a surround mix of a "big American record from the '90s that sold a lot of copies" where some songs were recorded on four 24-track machines synced together. Does anyone have a guess as to what this might be?
Assuming 1 track for STMPE time stamp per machine to sync them together that is 4x23 = 92 tracks! That's a lot of tracks, so which American band would have used that many tracks in the 90s, and also sold a lot of copies? REM? and they have done some Atmos releases. What about Styx as lots of layers in their albums?

I listened to the whole interview and it was really great. A couple of wonderful takes that I didn't know:

"Aqualung's master tape machine was out of alignment and the stereo master was harmed from that." That is amazing and I might have to go seek out his remix and compare.

"Man of the People is supposed to be a collaboration of Marvin Gaye and Pink Floyd." Again, I hear the PF similarities and he even admitted he cannot sing anywhere close to Gaye, but I guess I hear some similarities of him.

I'm going to keep my hat in the ring for MJ's Dangerous. There is this little tidbit and makes me think that he could have 90+ tracks for some songs.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/classic-tracks-michael-jackson-black-or-white
"Thereafter, the sessions moved to Westlake, where Bruce Swedien utilised one room, Bottrell used another and, eventually, drummer/percussionist/synth player Bryan Loren worked in a third. Armed with a Neve console, Bottrell used a pair of 24-track Studer analogue tape machines to record initial tracks and then compiled things on Mitsubishi 32-track."

Is that three different people with at least one 24 track machine in each room? I have to think that having four 24-track tape machines is EXPENSIVE. Who in the early 90s could demand anything from a record company? MJ was a legend by then. Also, Black and White is the most expensive music video of all time, so money wouldn't be an issue for the actual music as well.

It's fun to speculate on what album he could be referring to...

DJ Shadow - Entroducin? Moby's "Play"? Beck's "Odelay" might be a good guess (as previously mentioned), The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie? Who knows

To quote Bill Price from this article:
For example, on “November Rain,” which was a bit of a baby of Axl’s, I had Mike Clink’s original 24-track master, which had just drums and maybe a bit of bass on it. I had a 24-track slave that had a load of vocal ideas on it and a 24-track slave that had a lot of guitar ideas on it and a Sony 48-track slave that had a hell of a lot of vocal and keyboard work that Axl had been doing in his studio. I had another 48-track slave that Slash had been recording on in his studio.
It's not Use Your Illusion then, too many tracks here.

Please no Pink Floyd, sick of Pink Floyd.

It won't be Floyd, for a variety of reasons:
- They're not American
- Their remixers of choice are James Guthrie (Waters-era albums) and Andy Jackson (Gilmour-era albums)
- Division Bell's 5.1 mix was just reissued in late 2019 as part of the Later Years mega set

That was a really good interview. I was amazed how much Steven talked about his surround mixing. Good to hear just how much Elliot Scheiner influenced him at the start and continues to present time (mainly in Stevens speaker choices)

Really curious what the "Big American album" is that he's working on

90's Best Selling American.

Could be ; Green Day , Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Matchbox 20, Nirvana ,Red Hot Chili Peppers ,Stone Temple Pilots , Creed , Live.....

Attachments

• 20210219_192131.jpg
    20210219_192131.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 71
I'm willing to wait and see what the "big American record" is. I'm more intrigued by the report that he's doing 7 to 8 albums per year. (And I'm hoping that one day, if he just keeps publicly begging long enough, Kate Bush will come around and make one of his dreams come true.)

I loved hearing how he painstakingly builds his stereo remixes, 5 seconds at a time (!), by comparing the multis against the original mix, reverse-engineering and reconstructing it from scratch. (Also appreciated the shout-out to @Steel Woole for his invitation to work on Chicago II--although it was dismaying to hear about the band's dismissive reaction, especially in light of the dog's breakfast that their chosen remixer subsequently made of CTA.)

Finally, it was great to hear him say this about Oranges & Lemons, which was recorded digitally at 48kHz/16 bits, but sounds fabulous: "People forget that a great producer and a great engineer is a lot more important than the resolution of the recording."

I'm willing to wait and see what the "big American record" is. I'm more intrigued by the report that he's doing 7 to 8 albums per year. (And I'm hoping that one day, if he just keeps publicly begging long enough, Kate Bush will come around and make one of his dreams come true.)
Who knows about SW and Kate Bush (also not American); but noticed @Stephen W Tayler has also mixed some Kate Bush... hmmm...

Back