Steven Wilson Steven Wilson on Bob Lefsetz Podcast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, My Achy Breaky Heart ...... Oops......that's Miley's Pop, Billy Ray!
See the source image

"FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES" ........ IN ATMOS?

how low can you go Ralph? 100Hz? Beep 80Hz? Boop 60Hz? Bonk 40Hz? Boooom

This is such a great interview for so many reasons. Wilson's own music is not so much to my taste (though I own some Porcupine Tree releases), but I respect his mixing skills and am grateful for all that he does for surround. After listening to this, I am even more respectful and even more grateful. He talks with enthusiasm and modesty (but with no false modesty - he is deservedly proud of his achievements) and, having heard his story, I don't think it is an exaggeration to suggest that he single-handedly saved the surround sound market. (Basically, surround had record company backing in the early noughties, but they gave up by the 2010s. But his work in the 2010s led to renewed enthusiasm.) Also, it's incredibly generous of him to admit that he is not too bothered about his mixing fee, meaning that he might be offered less in the future. That's not the arrogance of a super-rich person, that's the love of a fan.

(The one thing that made my heart sink slightly was his explanation for his rule to never work on music for which he is not a fan. I thought that due to limited free time, he understandably only wanted to work on what he loved. But he said it's because he thinks as a non-fan he wouldn't be able to give the work the justice it deserves. Personally, there are many albums I'd love to hear in surround that he probably doesn't like and yet I am sure he would still do a great job.)

I’m not that familiar with Guns N’ Roses, but does that album really have songs on it that have such a sense production that required 4 24-track machines running in parallel (96 tracks)?

The Us
I’m not that familiar with Guns N’ Roses, but does that album really have songs on it that have such a sense production that required 4 24-track machines running in parallel (96 tracks)?
yes, that’s the reason I think it will be UYI. They did a stupid amount of overdubs for these albums, it’s one of the few I think could have this many tracks that SW would do If he does indeed like GnR

@haikubass linked an interview with Bill Price about the making of the album upthread--apparently it took ten days just to mix "November Rain".

Well, maybe it’s Swans’ “White light from the mouth of infinity.”

I know it’s not, but one can hope. I’m not really interested in Guns N’ Roses, unfortunately. Oh well, there’ll be other things for me. Good for Steven that he gets to mix such a popular and influential album!

Back