Steven Wilson Steven Wilson Remixes Facebook/Twitter Pages!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an interview with Steven Wilson about his approach to multi channel mastering. Kudos to Steven for being very polite in the face of questionable interviewers.
http://youtu.be/GaUR3j-YXP4

MIXING, not mastering. After all, Wilson even says in the interview that he doesn't allow mastering on his mixes once they leave his studio.
But you're right about the questionable interviewers. Asking him about Dolby Atmos and what not. Good grief...

That was painful! Five minutes in I wanted to turn back, 20 minutes in I wanted to jump out of a window. I made myself listen to the whole thing so that my thumbs down was genuine. If I was SW, I would not have suffered these fools this long. He was far more professional than they were. Their segments came up mono dead center but SW comes out of the left speaker only? Points off for not centering the mono and not editing themselves a LOT more. It was way too long and tedious.

These clods are mighty proud of themselves and their high end systems (adding "bass extension the way Jon Lovitz would say Morgan Fairchild..."). They claim to be big fans of SW yet don't know things like Elliot mixing Deadwing; SW is a major "get" as an interview, do your homework! Asking questions about mixing music in Dolby Atmos and such was a damn silly waste of Steven's time. They replied "excellent" 1100 times. Shrug. SW took the time to explain how he mixes on a slightly better than average system the listener likely has yet they proclaim "when you have a high end system like we do, these five channel mixes will take you to another place." (self-serving BS meter pegged)

Then when SW had to leave for sound check (mercifully) they cut to a studio segment of themselves (Hans & Frans or Wayne's World; you decide) to make a feeble effort to recap what SW already said in the least coherent manner possible. I wanted to type "is this a parody?" in the video comments but that would perhaps interrupt their basking in the total lack of self-awareness they have going as A/V fan boys.

You were warned.

EDIT: One hopeful sign was SW did mention Roxy Music catalog during this charade.

Last edited:
Steven (NOT Steve) is VERY PATIENT person.....kudos to him...
Anyway, the REAL IMPORTANT questions are answered in this Forum (have I mentioned this is my favorite website????)

Thank you Steven!!!

These clods are mighty proud of themselves and their high end systems (adding "bass extension the way Jon Lovitz would say Morgan Fairchild..."). They claim to be big fans of SW yet don't know things like Elliot mixing Deadwing; SW is a major "get" as an interview, do your homework! Asking questions about mixing music in Dolby Atmos and such was a damn silly waste of Steven's time. They replied "excellent" 1100 times. Shrug. SW took the time to explain how he mixes on a slightly better than average system the listener likely has yet they proclaim "when you have a high end system like we do, these five channel mixes will take you to another place." (self-serving BS meter pegged)

Then when SW had to leave for sound check (mercifully) they cut to a studio segment of themselves (Hans & Frans or Wayne's World; you decide) to make a feeble effort to recap what SW already said in the least coherent manner possible. I wanted to type "is this a parody?" in the video comments but that would perhaps interrupt their basking in the total lack of self-awareness they have going as A/V fan boys.

You have a right to an opinion but aren't you being a bit too critical in these last two paragraphs?

I was not surprised by the Dolby Atmos questions because there are a lot of people that do want to know where the industry is and is heading with mixing to more than 5.1 channels. I did like SW response for now but hope that in the future we will have more than 5.1 channel surround mixes.

Making a mistake on the surround mixer for "Deadwing" is an honest one. No big deal and was corrected.

I, for one, like to hear different questions asked, and not the same questions that are asked by every other interviewer. ;)

Sorry, I stand by every word. They were way out of their depth and their delivery painful to watch and listen to. They are gear hawkers and much less music people. Atmos for music? I think SW put it into perspective for the very quickly. Despite SW having mentioned that he worked with Elliot, and even after SW corrected him on Deadwing, a couple minutes later the guy mentions Elliot Scheiner as if for the very first time ("he's worked with The Eagles etc" as if it was now a different person!). So they don't listen too good either. I like new questions as much as the next guy, but goodness gracious most of theirs failed to connect. I would add that I almost never give a thumbs down on such endeavors but people of their level of visibility in the A/V need a reality check.

EDIT: Credit where credit's due: One good question was asked of SW about a mellotron he was having custom built, thus we heard about the M4000 unit.

Last edited:
LOL I have to admit I was being kind to the interviews in my original post. Brutal is what first comes to mind. But I listened to most of it and marveled at SW's professionalism.

Steven,

Just a prog rock curiosity question.

You were born in 67 I believe and could you tell me (and QQ) at what age/year did you start to idolize all the PROGRESSIVE ROCK ICONIC artists that we now get to all enjoy with your 5.1 reissue mixes?

Could you perhaps enlighten us with your first and foremost entry into the world of prog artistic admirations?

And if possible indicate some of the albums you might like to remix for future, a wish list of course? I find it amazing that some of your prior wish list has come to fruition.
And of course your own P. T. and solo and related combo's will always be on my wish list.

thankyou

i'm really very impressed by Steven.
what an amazing personality SW are. simple and short but brilliant explanation.
and you know what, we can be proud, that our QQ community has been at least partially involved in it.

[video=youtube;m4pWyoQwuYc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4pWyoQwuYc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I wonder if that Out of the Blue album he is holding is a hint.

I don't think so. It's never completely out of the realm of possibility, but Jeff Lynne and Sony/Epic (who own the recording rights) would have to commission SW to remix it, and right now, Jeff Lynne's interests seem to be about as far away from surround as you can possibly get.
But as always, "Hope Springs Eternal!" :)

i'm really very impressed by Steven.
what an amazing personality SW are. simple and short but brilliant explanation.
and you know what, we can be proud, that our QQ community has been at least partially involved in it.

[video=youtube;m4pWyoQwuYc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4pWyoQwuYc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

What a wonderful clip.. god we are so lucky that he is as passionate about Surround as he is Hi-Res.. he has almost single-handedly changed perceptions the last few years towards surround and remixes.. the profile and the landscape of surround music remixing are now very different thanks in no small part to him imho.

That was painful! Five minutes in I wanted to turn back, 20 minutes in I wanted to jump out of a window. I made myself listen to the whole thing so that my thumbs down was genuine. If I was SW, I would not have suffered these fools this long. He was far more professional than they were. It was way too long and tedious.

I was not surprised by the Dolby Atmos questions because there are a lot of people that do want to know where the industry is and is heading with mixing to more than 5.1 channels. I did like SW response for now but hope that in the future we will have more than 5.1 channel surround mixes.

@Perp: Where ya been Laddie??? Great to see you around here! :smokin (y)

I kinda need to agree with timbre here: The interview contained some good questions but was conducted poorly, these guys are amateurs, but I am jealous of Hugo's biceps! Where can I get a pair of those?

The clumsy interview did reveal an interesting fact. PT - Deadwing does sound bad loud. Now we know why. Typical "industry group think" of compression was used by the producer. I am glad that Steven Wilson has eliminated that in his music.

The whole Dolby Atmos thing was a debacle. Atmos is for large upscale movie theaters where dialog is key(films) and sound effects need to be spread out over the length of a very large public space for say 500 people or more. Its not for home listening & ins't in our future. Myself, I am a tech junkie, but this tech ain't happenin for us at QQ. It was an inappropriate question to ask and shows the interviewer's lack of understanding. Like Tim said: "Gear Hawks". An interviewer should never make a subject look ignorant, plus SW has no need to know about Atmos.... just dumb all around. I thought Steven had the patience of a Saint with these clowns.

For fun, here's a picture of needed speakers for Atmos, there is also a config for 9.1.2:mad:@: speaker configs as well:

Atmos_zpsa1qy9cw2.jpg

Nice to learn what speakers Steven mixes with: http://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors

These are not cheap, in general. Steven did say he uses "Genelec Mid-Field monitors.." We don't know which ones...

@Adam, Yes you are right as you are handsome. Steven Wilson has put 5.1 on our maps. We owe him a great deal as far as 5.1 music goes.
I believe its time to start calling him "Saint Steven". No joke.

@Tim: My comments about Atmos are made in the context of music and music being mixed with Atmos.

Dolby ATMOS (object mixing) is happening. When I was in Best Buy I noticed at least a dozen Blu-ray films recently released advertise including this type of soundtrack. It could work in home cinema and equipment has started to become available at reasonable prices.

My point is until proven otherwise I don't see this happening for surround music releases.

Yes I thought the interviewers were terrible and still do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since we're back on this subject, here's my thinking on all of this:

I think there will be a bigger push for ATMOS now on Home Video with these new 4K Ultra HD releases, but unlike Tim, I think this will break out into music releases, but it certainly won't be for commercial releases. It will probably be for the classical market and for music releases similar to the ones that have recently come out under the Auro 3D banner.
I certainly don't see Steven Wilson or other commercial artists and mixing engineers picking up on this, and I completely agree that the interviewers should have their interviewing license revoked for asking such a pompous and idiotic question.

You can listen to it lo-fi thanks to people posting the audio files on YouTube, and get a preview... BluRay still en route.

Back