Steven Wilson Steven Wilson Remixes Facebook/Twitter Pages!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as I want a new Storm Corrosion album (and trust me, I really want one! "Storm Corrosion" is the best thing SW has done since the dissolution of Porcupine Tree, IMHO) I wonder why Steven Wilson can continue on with Aviv Geffen as Blackfield, yet it's been 8 years since we have had a new album from no-man!
If SW can continue with one collaboration, why can't he continue with the other? Just a thought...
No-Man are officially done. It's not even an "indefinite hiatus" like with Porcupine Tree. Both Wilson and Bowness have said that the project is ended. Wilson is not interested in making more music as No-Man, which is why none has been made. Tim's subsequent solo albums (Abandoned Dancehall Dreams and Stupid Things That Mean The World) do fit into the same aesthetic, somewhat. In fact, the first started out as a No-Man record and features the live band, plus Steven as mixer and with a few instrumental contributions. And, of course, the second was mixed by Bruce Soord in both stereo and surround, and features an old, unused No-Man track cowritten by Wilson.

As for Blackfield, Wilson has placed it squarely in Geffen's court, with his contributions now mainly technical (mixing) and vocal (sometimes guitar). Clearly, he was also instrumental in getting Parsons on board for Blackfield V. But it hasn't been an equal artistic partnership since Blackfield II, really. So, Steven is still invested in the project and its success, but is a bit more "hands off." Contrast this to No-Man, where he was very involved, and seems to think it wouldn't be "No-Man" without that deep involvement. I think what we are seeing is his emergence as a solo artist in his own right—under his own name—has perhaps soured him a bit to equal collaboration. He has basically said as much in interviews about the band dynamic as it relates to Porcupine Tree and the hiatus.

Conversely, both Wilson and Åkerfeldt have expressed interest in collaborating again. It's plain to see that they have the utmost professional and artistic respect for one another, and given the nature of Storm Corrosion, are both willing to push the envelope of expectation in ways perhaps neither Aviv Geffen nor Tim Bowness are. I'm sure we will be getting another album from them, but if I had to guess, the project won't be called "Storm Corrosion" and probably won't sound anything like the first record.

Thought so. I wonder why SW didn't reveal which tapes were found. Sigh

He probably can't reveal anything until Andy does. I tried to bait Andy on Twitter today to see if he would say which tapes have been found, so I need to check back later and see if he responded. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another XTC is just the ticket. I assume that the wasp apple albums will be done at some time, so at the current rate three years for the virgin album masters to be found

Another XTC is just the ticket. I assume that the wasp apple albums will be done at some time, so at the current rate three years for the virgin album masters to be found

Yes, I think the plan was to remix just the Virgin albums (aka everything from "White Music" to "Nonsuch") but at some point a year or two ago, Andy said that they had also reached an agreement within the group to have both "Apple Venus" and "Wasp Star" remixed too. :)

Could just be Andy lending a hand on the next SW solo album, but I'd sure like to hear them try something together - loads of potential for awesome greatness.

He probably can't reveal anything until Andy does. I tried to bait Andy on Twitter today to see if he would say which tapes have been found, so I need to check back later and see if he responded. :)

I should have posted this earlier.
Considering myself an insightful person, the good news behind this good news is that they're still searching for XTC tapes.
Right?

I should have posted this earlier.
Considering myself an insightful person, the good news behind this good news is that they're still searching for XTC tapes.
Right?

Yes, any XTC tapes that Virgin retrieve is always great news, because the plan is to remix all 12 XTC studio albums for this Surround Sound Series.
The only thing standing in the way of that happening is if they cannot locate all needed tapes, but it's been so far, so good! :)

No-Man are officially done. It's not even an "indefinite hiatus" like with Porcupine Tree. Both Wilson and Bowness have said that the project is ended. Wilson is not interested in making more music as No-Man, which is why none has been made. Tim's subsequent solo albums (Abandoned Dancehall Dreams and Stupid Things That Mean The World) do fit into the same aesthetic, somewhat. In fact, the first started out as a No-Man record and features the live band, plus Steven as mixer and with a few instrumental contributions. And, of course, the second was mixed by Bruce Soord in both stereo and surround, and features an old, unused No-Man track cowritten by Wilson.

As for Blackfield, Wilson has placed it squarely in Geffen's court, with his contributions now mainly technical (mixing) and vocal (sometimes guitar). Clearly, he was also instrumental in getting Parsons on board for Blackfield V. But it hasn't been an equal artistic partnership since Blackfield II, really. So, Steven is still invested in the project and its success, but is a bit more "hands off." Contrast this to No-Man, where he was very involved, and seems to think it wouldn't be "No-Man" without that deep involvement. I think what we are seeing is his emergence as a solo artist in his own right—under his own name—has perhaps soured him a bit to equal collaboration. He has basically said as much in interviews about the band dynamic as it relates to Porcupine Tree and the hiatus.

Not to get into any big thing but if you can point me to somewhere where either Steven or Tim said no-man was "done" I'd like to see it because I must have missed it (and I try to keep up with Steven's assorted varied career stuff). I've seen where he has said "Porcupine Tree does not exist anymore" which seems pretty definite, but nothing so defined regarding no-man. Even at that - Steven had said Blackfield was just Aviv and he'd "lend a hand" but now BF5 is being touted as once again a full-on collaboration. As the no-man song says...."Things Change" and just perhaps this whole turning 50 thing has Steven reflecting on past projects, diving in a bit to bring them to a better close rather than letting them drift off with that ol' "maybe someday" thing.

Could just be Andy lending a hand on the next SW solo album, but I'd sure like to hear them try something together - loads of potential for awesome greatness.

I'm almost 100% positive that this is what's happening.

Yes, I am also in agreeance that this is probably what Andy is doing for Steven.

Not to get into any big thing but if you can point me to somewhere where either Steven or Tim said no-man was "done" I'd like to see it because I must have missed it (and I try to keep up with Steven's assorted varied career stuff). I've seen where he has said "Porcupine Tree does not exist anymore" which seems pretty definite, but nothing so defined regarding no-man. Even at that - Steven had said Blackfield was just Aviv and he'd "lend a hand" but now BF5 is being touted as once again a full-on collaboration. As the no-man song says...."Things Change" and just perhaps this whole turning 50 thing has Steven reflecting on past projects, diving in a bit to bring them to a better close rather than letting them drift off with that ol' "maybe someday" thing.

Yes, great post, doppelbock!
I have also never heard that no-man is completely finished, from either Steven or Tim Bowness. It's obvious that Steven has not had time (or made time) for no-man since 2012, but that could always change in the future.
Because no-man is an equal collaboration between Steven & Tim, it doesn't seem to be as much hard work for Steven as his solo albums are or how Porcupine Tree was. (No wonder he wanted to end Porcupine Tree. He wrote most of the music, and yet he still had to compromise with three other guys, a difficult situation for someone as creative and controlling as he is.)

I'm certainly not expecting any new music from no-man anytime soon, but I will gladly welcome it with open arms if/when it ever does happen! :)

I get the feeling that Steven sometimes likes to move on and close doors, but always likes to leave them open a crack too....never say never...as again, things change. His flirting from project to project with seemingly endless energy is one of the appeals, and while that aspect has slowed the last few years I not so sure it means the end of any of them. He'll go his way, and that route may change at any time along the way - with some artists it nags at me but in this case he gets the benefit of the doubt as his track record is well, impressive.

Then again, to dive in further....Tim's new page makes mention of him working with IAmtheMorning which sounds very interesting - another 5.1 Soord mix?

Not to get into any big thing but if you can point me to somewhere where either Steven or Tim said no-man was "done" I'd like to see it because I must have missed it (and I try to keep up with Steven's assorted varied career stuff). I've seen where he has said "Porcupine Tree does not exist anymore" which seems pretty definite, but nothing so defined regarding no-man.
Google is not being very helpful (lots of biblical and dating results), but I am almost certain I can recall reading about the end of No-Man around the time of the live Love and Endings release, so named because it was meant to encapsulate the band's career from beginning (Lovesighs/Loveblows & Lovecries) to end.

It does sound like he himself is concerned with the progress of the first ROXY MUSIC album. Afterall he did state on his facebook page that it was coming and he'd " like to do MORE . And Phil is on board ".

That Phil is on board is great news indeed . Hopefully they can get down to the other discs shortly. :upthumb

Now JETHRO TULL-THIS WAS ? Wow !! Great news indeed . Was " wondring aloud " if those tapes were even usefull, seems that they are. Looking forward to this in 2017., and Songs From The Wood.
Steven Wilson is obviously a completist with the "TULLS" ! :sun

Back