Steven Wilson Steven Wilson Remixes Facebook/Twitter Pages!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard, van1.

I'd take the s/t debut, Mirage, and Snow Goose, too...

Thanks, the more the merrier! If Mr Wilson is a fan then it can happen, look at how he's willing to do the XTC catalogue.

Some later Camel would really work too, the 'Nude' album (Drafted, Lies and Docks) or other tracks like 'Ice', or 'Selva'. Andy Latimer really reminds me of David Gilmour on these tracks

Does anyone know if Steve Wilson is a fan of Camel? Would love to get a 5.1 mix of Moonmadness

AFAIK, Steven Wilson is a fan of Camel, and I think I read an interview somewhere in which Andy Latimer has said that he would be open to having Steven Wilson remix some Camel albums, so I think what it really comes down to is would Universal Music (who owns the classic Camel albums) consider it a worthwhile endeavor to have those albums remixed? Hopefully one day, it will happen! :)

Here's a recent interview with Steven (at the Denver stop on the tour IIRC) that quite interesting and covers a lot of subjects, including the remixing thing. Read (or listen to) the whole interview when you have the time, but I'll just quote the (not so good it looks like) news on future remixes.

So you have any interest in remixing Olias of Sunhillow (Jon Anderson) if you were asked?

To be honest, right now I’ve stopped doing remixes anyway. I just don’t have time. I’m carrying on with the XTC project because they are my favorite band pretty much, one of my top five, but I just don’t have time anymore. I mean one of the great things about being successful with the “To the Bone” album is that I have less and less time to do other things, which is a nice problem to have, as the saying goes. The more successful I’m being with my solo career, the less and less time I’m having four for this extra curricular activity. Of course there are artists that I would make an exception for. If the Bowie’s and the Prince’s and the Kate Bush’s came knocking at my door, I would find the time somehow. But generally speaking, I’m not going out of my way to find that kind of work anymore, because it does take time to do it properly.

Here's a recent interview with Steven (at the Denver stop on the tour IIRC) that quite interesting and covers a lot of subjects, including the remixing thing. Read (or listen to) the whole interview when you have the time, but I'll just quote the (not so good it looks like) news on future remixes.
My personal hope is that Rush is on the short list too. He sure knocked AFtK out of the park. Maybe someday the solo career will slow down naturally too. In any regard, I wish him the best with whatever he truly wants to do.

Besides XTC (which SW mentions in the interview), I'm sure there will be a few more remixes from Gentle Giant like "Free Hand" and maybe "Interview" (especially since Ray Shulman trades DVD/Blu-Ray authoring work for SW's remixing skills)
Plus there definitely will be remixes released for Jethro Tull's "This Was" and "Stormwatch", so that's another two titles right there.
He's also committed to remixing Marillion's "Clutching at Straws" (although "Afraid of Sunlight" might be reissued first, no word yet if he will remix that album)
And "The Seeds of Love" (from Tears for Fears) has been finished for a few years now, so hopefully that one will come out either this year or next year.

The wild cards are RUSH and Roxy Music. With the 40th anniversary of "Hemispheres" being celebrated this year, there might be a chance that the album will be remixed as part of a 40th anniversary box set, but that will of course mostly depend on tape availability.
As for Roxy Music, well, it took 5 years for the debut album's deluxe edition to be released, so I'm not holding my breath for anymore reissues from them anytime soon (but I really want "For Your Pleasure"!)

Finally, I don't expect SW to take on any new remixing projects unless they are really special opportunities for him.

:)

Besides XTC (which SW mentions in the interview), I'm sure there will be a few more remixes from Gentle Giant like "Free Hand" and maybe "Interview" (especially since Ray Shulman trades DVD/Blu-Ray authoring work for SW's remixing skills)
Plus there definitely will be remixes released for Jethro Tull's "This Was" and "Stormwatch", so that's another two titles right there.
He's also committed to remixing Marillion's "Clutching at Straws" (although "Afraid of Sunlight" might be reissued first, no word yet if he will remix that album)
And "The Seeds of Love" (from Tears for Fears) has been finished for a few years now, so hopefully that one will come out either this year or next year.

The wild cards are RUSH and Roxy Music. With the 40th anniversary of "Hemispheres" being celebrated this year, there might be a chance that the album will be remixed as part of a 40th anniversary box set, but that will of course mostly depend on tape availability.
As for Roxy Music, well, it took 5 years for the debut album's deluxe edition to be released, so I'm not holding my breath for anymore reissues from them anytime soon (but I really want "For Your Pleasure"!)

Finally, I don't expect SW to take on any new remixing projects unless they are really special opportunities for him.

Today Fish posted on Facebook a picture of him with the rest of his former band at the pub after having recorded part of the documentary that will be part of Clutching. This may be a good hint about which album goes next

BTW, anyone intrigued about the little enigma Steven talks about in the interview? I know what the numbers on HCE special edition are (did not check the ones sung in the songs yet), but I cannot make any sense about them.
I'll try to write down tonight all the numbers and share results in here.
If you've not read it yet, it might be the best interview with SW I've read so far.

Today Fish posted on Facebook a picture of him with the rest of his former band at the pub after having recorded part of the documentary that will be part of Clutching. This may be a good hint about which album goes next

I'm really looking forward to the deluxe edition of "Clutching at Straws".
The "Misplaced Childhood" and "Brave" deluxe editions have been fantastic, so I can't wait for more from Marillion!

Guys, I think it's time Mr Steven Wilson gets himself a 'Luke Skywalker' and teach him the ways of mixing (his way) in 5.1 so we can continue to enjoy these fantastic albums in 5.1 surround.:phones
Jakko is not the one, in my opinion. He's too close to mixing his way (the dark side):ROFLMAO:
What Steven does is keep the integrity and original spirit of the original album but improve it sonically and give it a kick with a respectful and enjoyable remix in 5.1 surround sound.

Guys, I think it's time Mr Steven Wilson gets himself a 'Luke Skywalker' and teach him the ways of mixing (his way) in 5.1 so we can continue to enjoy these fantastic albums in 5.1 surround.:phones
Jakko is not the one, in my opinion. He's too close to mixing his way (the dark side):ROFLMAO:
What Steven does is keep the integrity and original spirit of the original album but improve it sonically and give it a kick with a respectful and enjoyable remix in 5.1 surround sound.
There are some very good people around Bruce Soord, Giancarlo Erra, Elliott Scheiner, Bob Clearmountan, to name but a few who have never dropped the ball IMHO and are not Steven

Well I certainly hope nothing happens to Steven, and he's only, what...50? He's still young for goodness sake. (I can say this because I'm much older and I don't plan on croaking soon!)
But, my wish is that Mr. Wilson, et al, keeps turning out the great music that he does....and that he keeps finding great muscians to work with, especially great drummers. Hell, I like all the guys in Porcupine Tree for that matter.

OK, I just got back on Facebook today, after they promised to clean up their act.
Anyway the news is I finally got to check out Steven's Facebook pages! Sweet. Didn't know he thought so much about some weirdo trying to assassinate him but understandable I suppose.
Oh, best news is more music coming! Yes!

Well I certainly hope nothing happens to Steven, and he's only, what...50? He's still young for goodness sake. (I can say this because I'm much older and I don't plan on croaking soon!)
But, my wish is that Mr. Wilson, et al, keeps turning out the great music that he does....and that he keeps finding great muscians to work with, especially great drummers. Hell, I like all the guys in Porcupine Tree for that matter.
Hey.....I don't want 'anything' to happen to our good friend and musician/studio master. I was just referring to the fact due to Mr. Steven Wilson being so busy with his other music projects I felt he should share his skills and knowledge with some other emerging studio engineers. I hope everything works out.

Hey.....I don't want 'anything' to happen to our good friend and musician/studio master. I was just referring to the fact due to Mr. Steven Wilson being so busy with his other music projects I felt he should share his skills and knowledge with some other emerging studio engineers. I hope everything works out.
I think it would be cool if some surround mixing tutorials pop up on youtube, say, or even a paid video course, accessible to the public. Why restrict the knowledge to industry insiders? There are amateur mixing engineers putting out better mixes than on some professional releases.

Back