Steven Wilson remixing David Gilmour's first solo LP?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there is a somewhat well-known band that has a somewhat well-known album that is celebrating its 50th anniversary next year in 2023, and as far as I know, this somewhat well-known album has never been remixed into Dolby Atmos, and I don't believe either of the main engineers who work with this somewhat well-known band are equipped to mix in Dolby Atmos...
(Who am I kidding? It probably won't happen but it's still a thought nonetheless...)

;)🔺🌈

I think if you-know-who mixed you-know-what into Atmos, QQ would crash!

That well-known band has been dropping hints about a certain legendary album’s upcoming 50th anniversary on their social media feeds. So who knows what they are going to do to commemorate the occasion. 🤔

Give me a blu-ray with bonus footage of the promo films he shot for the album and I'd be very happy![/MEDIA]

When I got an underground copy of those from a 16mm source, I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that they were all live performances, not fake jobs while the studio tracks play.

And his brother is in the band, too.

This is even more unexpected than The Who! And I'm here for it - no matter how little David has played off that album since the 80s (zero songs IINM), it's my favourite of his solo records and stands up well with the Floyd catalog.
I think I've seen 3 Gilmour tours., Plus the late Era Floyd, all shows in Toronto CA. I have never seen him perform a single track from either of his first two solo albums. I always just assumed Gilmour hated the stuff.

Of course I could have seen him in the 80's right here in Buffalo in a nice intimate music hall on the About Face tour. But my girlfriend at the time vetoed it. Grrrr.

I think I've seen 3 Gilmour tours., Plus the late Era Floyd, all shows in Toronto CA. I have never seen him perform a single track from either of his first two solo albums. I always just assumed Gilmour hated the stuff.

Of course I could have seen him in the 80's right here in Buffalo in a nice intimate music hall on the About Face tour. But my girlfriend at the time vetoed it. Grrrr.

Dave performed a good chunk of stuff from the first two solo albums in on his first solo tour in 1984. Other than a handful of one-offs in '85/'86, I think he pretty much abandoned those two albums by 1987. It's a pity, those two albums (especially the first one) have a lot of great stuff on them. I much prefer them to Lapse of Reason. Dave would shake up the set lists a little bit from night to night in 1984, but over the course of the tour he definitely performed every tune from About Face. From the first album "Mihalis" and "Short & Sweet" were performed pretty much every night. "There's No Way Out of Here" was a standard part of the set on the European leg of the tour but was played less frequently in America. The only other song from the first album played on that tour was "I Can't Breathe Anymore". Setlist.fm says it was only played seven times. (I was lucky enough to see him do it in Boston). As for Floyd tunes, "Comfortably Numb" and "Run Like Hell" were always played. "Money" got added for the American shows.

I had just graduated high school when the About Face tour landed in New England. My graduation present to myself was to follow Dave around for a bit. I caught him in Hartford, Boston (the second night) and New Haven. Having been a die-hard Floyd fan for a few years by that time, this was my first opportunity to see any member of the band so I was very psyched and he didn't disappoint. The shows were great. The band had a ton of energy. (Sadly this wasn't the case when he returned three years later for the Lapse tour). One great memory was at the New Haven show where I was lucky enough to score 2nd row seats. When the stage rush came for the encore I got right in front of him. (These were the days when they didn't have barricades so you could be right up against the stage). I was only a few feet away from him when he played the iconic "Comfortably Numb" solos. My 18 year old brain melted. And another great memory of the tour was catching them with my great friend @Fourplay . He and I had only just met the year before. This would be the first time we would see a Floyd together, but hardly the last. Despite now living on opposite sides of the country, he and I have managed see the band and the individual members' solo shows together across these many decades. Here we are outside of Radio City Music Hall in 2016 after seeing the Rattle That Lock tour.

21877-rcmh.jpg

It's a pity, those two albums (especially the first one) have a lot of great stuff on them. I much prefer them to Lapse of Reason. Dave would shake up the set lists a little bit from night to night in 1984, but over the course of the tour he definitely performed every tune from About Face. From the first album "Mihalis" and "Short & Sweet" were performed pretty much every night.
Thanks so much for sharing that information and I also like his 2 solo album's more than his 3rd solo album(ALOR), I mean Pink FLoyd album.
Thanks for sharing the picture as well.

One of our members here commented. Besides, if you go and check Andy's mixing company on the internet, you'll see it's done for business. Only Andy can confirm, but everything points out to his retirement

Steven Wilson mixed both Gilmour's self-titled solo album and Rick Wright's "Wet Dream." It has been shared that there will be possible 5.1 mixes as well. The guy that runs AFG website said they're being prepared for a late 2023 release.

Also, Andy Jackson is indeed retired.
As well as? Atmos mixes, or stereo mixes?

The
For once the .com link takes me to the same page on .co.uk! Here's hoping for a surround version.... along with the early Dave Gilmour
Although I will buy any surround version of this title that is available .... I have pre-ordered the CD from amazon because I know the sound will be excellent and the portability of the CD format comes in handy. Look at the prices of the early CD

Also I'm hoping amazon gets more pre-orders so they realize this title has value

Back