Steven Wilson remixing David Gilmour's first solo LP?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So I mentioned this elsewhere, but thought it might be worth bringing up in a Floyd thread.... In the video below (around the 7:30 mark) Steven Wilson is auditioning some headphones in his studio. You can hear that he's listening to David Gilmour's "There's No Way Out of Here". You can see that he has a multi-track session open on his computer. Could he be doing a surround mix of Gilmour's first solo album? That would be quite sweet.

Give me a blu-ray with bonus footage of the promo films he shot for the album and I'd be very happy!

You can hear that he's listening to David Gilmour's "There's No Way Out of Here". You can see that he has a multi-track session open on his computer. Could he be doing a surround mix of Gilmour's first solo album? That would be quite sweet.
It's certainly not out of the question, with the album's 45th anniversary coming up in 2023 and Andy Jackson said to be retired. In A Limited Edition Of One, SW mentions that Gilmour came backstage during one of the 2016 Hand Cannot Erase shows to say that "Routine" made him cry.

This can be a consolation price for SW, not being able to get to remix the main PF catalogue. I can't just but hope that after David's two solo albums, he's approached but Rick's state. Can you imagine Wet Dream and Broken China in Atmos?

Last edited:
Wow, what a catch!
After the release of the Early Years and Later Years sets from Pink Floyd, I always thought that David Gilmour could release an Early Years solo box set which would include material from his first two solo albums along with the 1984 concert film and any other material they could dredge up.
Now obviously when originally thinking of such a box set I had thought that Andy Jackson could remix the two albums in stereo & 5.1 surround, but if Steven Wilson is doing the remixing instead (in stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos) even better!

:)

If he is mixing Gilmour's eponymous 1978 release, i hope it's a portent of things to come! I would LOVE About Face remixed in stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos . . . and the 1984 concert film . . . Yowza! That would be a serious "Blue Light" special!
1664715646569.png

https://www.allmusic.com/album/about-face-mw0000650192

With Guthrie retiring, could that mean SW may also do PF in Atmos? :SB
As far as I know, Guthrie is not retiring. It was Andy Jackson instead. I honestly only see a window of opportunity for SW to touch PF's catalogue if it's sold to whoever else and the band members stop having control over it. I also have the strong feeling that James has a contract in place who gives him the right to remix the classic catalogue. But God knows.
Normally PF management (Paul Loasby, who is also managing David) are not very keen on this kind of scoops, so let's see what happens.

If he is mixing Gilmour's eponymous 1978 release, i hope it's a portent of things to come! I would LOVE About Face remixed in stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos . . . and the 1984 concert film . . . Yowza! That would be a serious "Blue Light" special!

https://www.allmusic.com/album/about-face-mw0000650192

I was at that Gilmour 1984 show. We were really pleased because we got second row tickets. But we were stuck right behind a cameraman who obscured a lot of our view, and weren't allowed to stand up - strictly enforced by the bouncers. So although it was a great show and I'm glad there is a document of it, I hope you can still feel my annoyance all these years later. I suffered for you people! :D

I was at that Gilmour 1984 show. We were really pleased because we got second row tickets. But we were stuck right behind a cameraman who obscured a lot of our view, and weren't allowed to stand up - strictly enforced by the bouncers. So although it was a great show and I'm glad there is a document of it, I hope you can still feel my annoyance all these years later. I suffered for you people! :D
I had a similar experience at a Bob Dylan concert. Second row middle. The bouncers invited the whole first row to stand up if they wished, which they immediately did - and they had a raised platform they could stand on. However no one else was allowed to stand up. Bouncers were physically aggressive with any who tried. We were left staring at people's bums and seeing none of the concert, given Dylan doesn't like screens. Talk about awful. It goes down as the worst concert experience of my life, and yes, like you, can still feel annoyed! :D

But back to lovely Mr David Gilmour...

Last edited:
That would be sooo frustrating! I was lucky to get 4th row seats at Massey Hall for that tour and there were no annoying camera persons.

Do you remember an unreleased instrumental about halfway through the show? I thought it was amazing, but it was cut out of the VHS concert video. There was a documentary on the VHS too and there was a short excerpt of that instrumental in it, but that was all. :(

I had a similar experience at a Bob Dylan concert. Second row middle. The bouncers invited the whole first row to stand up if they wished, which they immediately did - and they had a raised platform they could stand on. However no one else was allowed to stand up. Bouncers were physically aggressive with any who tried. We were left staring at people's bums and seeing none of the concert, given Dylan doesn't like screens. Talk about awful. It goes down as the worst concert experience of my life, and yes, like you, can still feel annoyed! :D

But back to lovely Mr David Gilmour...
That sounds awful, much worse than I had.

That would be sooo frustrating! I was lucky to get 4th row seats at Massey Hall for that tour and there were no annoying camera persons.

Do you remember an unreleased instrumental about halfway through the show? I thought it was amazing, but it was cut out of the VHS concert video. There was a documentary on the VHS too and there was a short excerpt of that instrumental in it, but that was all. :(
No, I don't remember. I remember Roy Harper and Nick Mason being guests, and some wag requesting Gilmour do Fat Old Sun! I didn't know his first album very well so I probably wouldn't have realised if there was something unreleased being played. Maybe have a look on setlists.com to see what tracks they (probably) played. There's also quite possibly audio on YT.

Yes, not just Gilmour's... :censored:

Well there is a somewhat well-known band that has a somewhat well-known album that is celebrating its 50th anniversary next year in 2023, and as far as I know, this somewhat well-known album has never been remixed into Dolby Atmos, and I don't believe either of the main engineers who work with this somewhat well-known band are equipped to mix in Dolby Atmos...
(Who am I kidding? It probably won't happen but it's still a thought nonetheless...)

;)🔺🌈

Back