Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't know...maybe it's because I have the basic Atmos setup in my home (5.1.2) but the comparison with the 5.1 mix wasn't absolutely "night and day"..I mean, you could tell the difference but it wasn't mind-blowing that is..just my opinion.

After spending some time with the Atmos mix, I finally tried out the 5.1, and I think it's actually more gripping. (Plus, the on-screen content when you choose "Play Album"--rather than "Select Track"--from 5.1 is a lot more entertaining. I can't figure out why the disc author didn't make that available when listening in Atmos.)

After spending some time with the Atmos mix, I finally tried out the 5.1, and I think it's actually more gripping. (Plus, the on-screen content when you choose "Play Album"--rather than "Select Track"--from 5.1 is a lot more entertaining. I can't figure out why the disc author didn't make that available when listening in Atmos.)

It is the same thing that we miss when we have Video-clips in a DVD/Blu-ray but only in stereo not in surround and the other disc menu has surround but no video.

They must think that our brain cannot process simultaneously eye-catching video along with immersive audio.

They will think that discs like Kraftwerk 3D Catalogue or Lichtmond The Journey should fry our brains.

But they will be. Oh yes, they will be. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life. And probably on some yet to be determined super, duper, swear on a pile of bibles this is definitive, straight up missus, not joking this time, poke me in the eye and call me Susan if I'm lying, limited, ultimate, hyper, platinum, double gold, remastered, ultra deluxe, superior high resolution version, fully remixed into whatever the then current iteration of Dolby Atmos is (Atmos Super? Atmos Ultra? Atmos double plus good? Atmos Plus Extra Brilliant? Atmos Beezer? Atmos II - This Time It's Personal?)
Looks like it will be sooner than you think. Anyone But Me will be released in the coming months along with new albums in 22 and 23.

https://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/the-future-bites-tour-2021-update/

Steven just released this track.

This song was a casualty of COVID-19. It was originally the closing song on THE FUTURE BITES, the album was even mastered and cut with it in place, but the delay in releasing the album gave me the chance to re-evaluate and I decided to replace it with the more laid back and atmospheric COUNT OF UNEASE. I still love this song though. Lyrically it’s about how it’s now possible to present to the world a version of yourself via social media that may have no bearing on reality - photos of yourself in places you’ve never been, hanging out with friends you’ve never met. It’s becoming more important to create the illusion of a desirable life on social media than it is to actually live it.

Is it available in Atmos on Tidal? If the song really made it as far as the mastering stage, I bet he created a surround mix of it.

Album is a nice listen. Technically superb. I feel it lacks a bit (a lot, actually) "soul", compared to previous albums.

And I can't forgive him for putting birth control pills as a consumer item. Inexcusable, imho.

And I can't forgive him for putting birth control pills as a consumer item. Inexcusable, imho.
Like all consumer items there should be a choice depending on how well the little sperms can swim
Minnow - mild
Trout - medium
Salmon - extra strength
beavis-and-butthead-sperm-pin-kolorspun-enamel-pins-sw.jpg

Really like, “Anyone but me”. It‘s a shame it wasn’t put on what is already an amazing album.

Is it available in Atmos on Tidal? If the song really made it as far as the mastering stage, I bet he created a surround mix of it.
That's definite. He mentioned it in several interviews during the promo blitz. I thought I had read that he was going to release it this year, but that was wishful thinking.

https://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/the-future-bites-tour-2021-update/
He did mention the idea of a Future Bites "Sessions" EP in an interview on which the song would be included. I'm looking forward to the releases in 22 & 23,

He did mention the idea of a Future Bites "Sessions" EP in an interview on which the song would be included.

It almost certainly won't happen, but my dream release would be a standalone Blu-Ray that has "Anyone But Me", "The Tastemaker", the three B-sides ("Eyewitness", "Move Like A Fever", "In Floral Green"), and all ten bonus tracks from the box set in 5.1 & Atmos.

It almost certainly won't happen, but my dream release would be a standalone Blu-Ray that has "Anyone But Me", "The Tastemaker", the three B-sides ("Eyewitness", "Move Like A Fever", "In Floral Green"), and all ten bonus tracks from the box set in 5.1 & Atmos.
In interviews he mentioned over 30 tracks written for the sessions. There is more than enough still unheard for a Future Bites version of Out Absentia or 4-1/2. But, you're correct, you won't get The Tastemaker.

Back