Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Chinese Communist Party data gathering tool..............
If you believe that, I've got some swampland in Florida to sell you.
I'd believe anything in this generations political pool. :mad:

I'll stick with the original Tick-Tock as it makes much more sense

I'd prefer they all use TicTac's
61wZSCaQNXL._SX425_PIbundle-288,TopRight,0,0_SX425SY461SH20_.jpg

Everything about this release is making me more and more confused (and less prone to buying). Now Steven is promoting on Twitter and Facebook the release of his next video and single in TikTok nonetheless.
I wonder which public this release is aimed to.
It's definitely not my cup of tea. I own every porcupine tree album and Steven Wilson solo album up to Raven.
I just don't 'connect' with the music and image he has produced past few years.
I understand he is trying to get a new audience. Well he may have but he has lost mine.

I think everything about this release is collectively a bit of "performance art", TikTok included. I imagine the concept will become clearer once the album is heard, tour is experienced, and merch is seen.

That said, COVID has kind of messed with this overall performance.

This is absolutely what is happening. He definitely has a grand plan with this album and is making it into a highly artistic concept. You can see that from the fact that he has sold vitamins, toiler paper and other random things. Some see that as selling out, but its just a part of this whole concept. If he continues to do that after this album, then I think there can be a little questioning.

I think its pretty cool because he has never done something like this. Its nice to see him growing as an artist even if the end result isn't what a lot of people were expecting. I just hope this doesn't begin the transition from musician first to "artist" like a couple other people have in the past (David Byrne, St. Vincent come to mind right away).

It's funny to look through everything that he is selling and seeing that the stand alone BD-A has a video that the special edition doesn't have and vice versa x2. The 12" single of Eminent Sleaze has two songs that are not on the record, and may or may not be on the special edition cd. Compiling a complete collection of everything audio based means getting 2-4 different releases, which I think is also part of his concept. Its just really annoying from a consumer position. Though, I will just be getting the Blu-Ray because that special edition is NOT worth it. Two CDs with stuff that is on the BD-A (I know the Instrumental isn't, but I will never listen to that) does not bring anything for that price. The 3rd CD is interesting since I am a fan of the two songs he has put out already, but not enough for me to purchase.

Last edited:
This is absolutely what is happening. He definitely has a grand plan with this album and is making it into a highly artistic concept. You can see that from the fact that he is sold vitamins, toiler paper and other random things. Some see that as selling out, but its just a part of this whole concept. If he continues to do that after this album, then I think there can be a little questioning.

I think its pretty cool because he has never done something like this. Its nice to see him growing as an artist even if the end result isn't what a lot of people were expecting. I just hope this doesn't begin the transition from musician first to "artist" like a couple other people have in the past (David Byrne, St. Vincent come to mind right away).
yes and no. An album shouldn't rely on external aspects to 1) convey a story, 2) be good. If it's good it's good regardless. Take many classic albums for instance.

I know about his ol' speech of "I never repeat myself", but why not repeating yourself (i.e. Hand Cannot Erase) when the end result is way better than your new material (TFB). Obviously it's all subjective to opinion and who's telling the story. But we will see how fans review the new album. So far from me, the 3 singles (king ghost included) havent grabbed me. The mix in Atmos (tidal) on the other hand, is quite discreet and top notch (despite being a stream), so I'm just curious about that, but not the music itself. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

An album shouldn't rely on external aspects to 1) convey a story, 2) be good. If it's good it's good regardless. Take many classic albums for instance.

I know about his ol' speech of "I never repeat myself", but why not repeating yourself (i.e. Hand Cannot Erase) when the end result is way better than your new material (TFB).

In some ways, I think HCE was just as reliant on multimedia tie-ins. The album can still be enjoyable if you focus only on the music, but I find that the story aspect is difficult to completely grasp from the lyrics alone. This wasn't an oversight by SW: it's left intentionally vague so that the listener can fill in the missing pieces by looking at the visual components. The whole thing didn't completely come together for me until I looked at the 'online diary' site and illustrations in the deluxe edition book.

In some ways, I think HCE was just as reliant on multimedia tie-ins. The album can still be enjoyable if you focus only on the music, but I find that the story aspect is difficult to completely grasp from the lyrics alone. This wasn't an oversight by SW: it's left intentionally vague so that the listener can fill in the missing pieces by looking at the visual components. The whole thing didn't completely come together for me until I looked at the 'online diary' site and illustrations in the deluxe edition book.

I remember at some point I was listening to HCE and my wife was like "He always sounds like he's whining about something" 😂. I started to explain that, actually, he's singing from the perspective from this girl, and it's just a character, and... I lost her at that point.

Back