Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very... interesting. I love his high register vocal on this one. Also, this song seems like its going to be amazing in 5.1/Atmos. Lots of different sounds with the potential to just explode and move throughout every speaker.

Agreed - I don't usually care much for Steven's falsetto, but it works really well on this track. Definitely my favorite of the three singles released so far.

I'm glad many of you are enjoying the first three singles... as for myself, I'm a little disappointed because none of these are songs that I would want to listen to repeatedly. I wasn't really into "Insurgentes" or "Grace For Downing" either, except for a few songs... "To The Bone" had some instant winners and some tunes that grew on me, so I'll keep hoping to hear something that inspires me... I'm sure the mixes will be killer, but after being in the surround sound game for a few years, I've come to the same conclusion as many before me, which is "content is king" (I've got probably about 4-6Tb of surround tunes I never listen to!) At least I've got "Raven" and "Hand", two of my all-time favorite albums. Man, I REALLY wish I liked Steven's new stuff... oh well, 3 down and 6 to go... maybe he's saving the best tunes for last!

I'm glad many of you are enjoying the first three singles... as for myself, I'm a little disappointed because none of these are songs that I would want to listen to repeatedly. I wasn't really into "Insurgentes" or "Grace For Downing" either, except for a few songs... "To The Bone" had some instant winners and some tunes that grew on me, so I'll keep hoping to hear something that inspires me... I'm sure the mixes will be killer, but after being in the surround sound game for a few years, I've come to the same conclusion as many before me, which is "content is king" (I've got probably about 4-6Tb of surround tunes I never listen to!) At least I've got "Raven" and "Hand", two of my all-time favorite albums. Man, I REALLY wish I liked Steven's new stuff... oh well, 3 down and 6 to go... maybe he's saving the best tunes for last!
I am sure that this is going to be an amazing mix but as Skherbeck noted content is king and I would say both go hand in hand with one another. What I heard so far is pretty disappointing to the point I am weighing should I cancelling my order and that truly saddens me.

I am sure that this is going to be an amazing mix but as Skherbeck noted content is king and I would say both go hand in hand with one another. What I heard so far is pretty disappointing to the point I am weighing should I cancelling my order and that truly saddens me.
So far, the music leaves me a bit cold, but as the Blu-ray is quite cheap, I'll likely purchase it. But it's my first time that I don't pre-order a work by Steven, I've got all the deluxe editions of PT and solo albums released so far (and I'll definitely be skipping this one)

I've got to have it if for no other reason than to hear what Steven has done with the Atmos tracks.
There's so much potential for Atmos and Prog Rock music and I still haven't heard it being used to it's full capability.
Still searching for the best price on the solo blu ray in the USA
JMHO

I've tried. Listened to each track on its own, played them "in sequence." Several times.

I love almost all genres of music when it's done well, and I've followed SW's stuff almost religiously as I've found it extremely engaging and challenging. Yes, I've had bits I don't care for.....GfD, a lot of Raven, last no-man....but to me he always earns a fair shake, several plays in proper context. So, while none of these tracks make me want to hear any more I'll still wait in hope that it all comes together with the "whole package" but for the first time I really have some serious doubts.

I don't hate "Eminent Sleaze," either. Both tracks have (different) Floyd-y vibes, and interesting Atmos mixes too. Plus, now I know where the "Album Years" podcast theme comes from.

But then again (heresy!), I don't much care for Wilson's older output, either, so his recent changes in direction don't register with me the way they do with you longtime fans.

Back