Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bring earplugs to every gig these days. If the show is loud I put them in and in those cases, I find the show to sound better with earplugs in.

I wish I could heed my future advice. As a result of my 20something-year-old exploits, I now have some pretty good tendonitis in my 50's.
I've been wearing earplugs at almost every show I attend for the past few years. I'm lucky because at 64, I still have no hearing issues. And I've attended many shows over the years. One that I remember well was Thin Lizzy back in '76 or '77, held in a small theater. My ears were still ringing the next day. Young and invincible (and many times dumb).

About the only shows I've been to in the last 35-40 years that don't demand protection have been country concerts, they as a rule don't play at ear bleed levels. When I was still smoking I always had a pair of plugs in my pocket. Take 2 smokes, break off the filters, roll them between your fingers till you can slide the filter out of the sleeve, then roll them like foam plugs and insert in ears. They work as good or better than foam. LOL
Too bad as any protection except for electronic types badly upset the FR.

Ooooh....I really like this new one. I bet the surround mix will be great.

"MAN OF THE PEOPLE is about the person who stands behind the disgraced politician, the religious leader that’s been caught in a sex scandal. The wife, the girlfriend, the husband, the partner, whoever is the family, the children—the people that stand behind these figures that are disgraceful. The collateral damage. I pity these people sometimes." - SW

Ooooh....I really like this new one. I bet the surround mix will be great.

"MAN OF THE PEOPLE is about the person who stands behind the disgraced politician, the religious leader that’s been caught in a sex scandal. The wife, the girlfriend, the husband, the partner, whoever is the family, the children—the people that stand behind these figures that are disgraceful. The collateral damage. I pity these people sometimes." - SW

Nice, sounds great. Yeah this is going to be epic in surround you'd think... Reminds me a bit of the Stranger Things intro! 👹

Interesting recent interview with Steven here where he and the hosts discuss their favorite productions. One comment that stood out for me was that he referred to "Owner of a Lonely Heart" as "one of the greatest pop singles of all time". For some reason I had it in my head that Steven wasn't a fan of Rabin era Yes. Glad to hear that's not the case....

The guy at the top left hand corner of the Prog Podcast thing, thinks the 2004 remix of 90125 sounds better than the original. It absolutely does not.

Image45.jpg
Image45.jpg

As for "Eat Me In St Louis?" as much as I like "It Bites" I'd be hard pressed to describe that album as "audiophile", or indeed "Underneath Your Pillow" / "Still Too Young To Remember" and "Having A Good Day" (it was on the 3cm CD single they bundled on some editions) aside, as being any good. But I digress...

There's nothing I've heard on this new Wilson album that I find appealing. So I think I'm going to give this release a miss, otherwise I'd be buying purely for the Atmos mix. And, unfortunately, that isn't in itself sufficient reason to part with my cash.

Last edited:
You're gonna love it guys, I've had it for a couple of months. I'm interviewing him tomorrow, any QQ questions you want asking? (Not all the obvious, Q. are you doing x or y? A. Can't divulge ones...).
Hi Patrick,
I'd like to know more about his remix plans for the PT catalogue in two fronts: first remixing early PT albums that have never been done in 5.1 (Signify, Voyage, etc) and then in what regards to Atmos (any chances to get Deadwing this year in Atmos too?)
If you also want to expand the Atmos questions to other artists' works. Even if he does not disclose, it would be great to know if he's already working or has any plans to work on other mixes

Thanks!

Hi Patrick,
I'd like to know more about his remix plans for the PT catalogue in two fronts: first remixing early PT albums that have never been done in 5.1 (Signify, Voyage, etc) and then in what regards to Atmos (any chances to get Deadwing this year in Atmos too?)
If you also want to expand the Atmos questions to other artists' works. Even if he does not disclose, it would be great to know if he's already working or has any plans to work on other mixes

Thanks!

Question 1 he answered to me 17 years (!) ago in my In Absentia review and interview. The answer was that as they were recorded on ADAT and the like, hi-res and surround was unlikely but never count it out!

2. DW in Atmos obviously already on my list - from the Genelec podcast we know he's been working on 4 other projects for about a year! Will dig...

Question 1 he answered to me 17 years (!) ago in my In Absentia review and interview. The answer was that as they were recorded on ADAT and the like, hi-res and surround was unlikely but never count it out!

2. DW in Atmos obviously already on my list - from the Genelec podcast we know he's been working on 4 other projects for about a year! Will dig...
Hi wouldn't mind to get CD quality 5.1 mixes...
Can you also ask about the rumour on a box containing early No-man albums? Non surround question.

Thanks!

You're gonna love it guys, I've had it for a couple of months. I'm interviewing him tomorrow, any QQ questions you want asking? (Not all the obvious, Q. are you doing x or y? A. Can't divulge ones...).

I would like to know if in the future he would like to play live in Atmos or something similar..I know he did some shows in 5.1 in the past... and which venues does he think are best suited for that (cinemas?)

Thank you!

PS: it would be also cool to know why we can't have a digital download card for FLAC files anymore, when we buy his albums in Bluray format..

Hi wouldn't mind to get CD quality 5.1 mixes...
Can you also ask about the rumour on a box containing early No-man albums? Non surround question.

Thanks!

It's less the resolution than the more primitive nature of the recordings. Plus it's nearly 20 years MORE of a legacy format to handle these days.

That's not a rumour. On the innerviews interview he confirms it is an OLI period box with all kinds of extras.

Back