Steven Wilson working on 5.1 mixes of Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" and "Ricochet"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I understand Steven Wilson's ACTUAL involvement here...only Ricochet and 2 tracks from Phaedra were found from the original multitrack tapes...but the blu ray contains stereo and 5.1 remixes of Phaedra...Oedipus Tyrannus and Richochet….so did SW "create" all these mixes from other sources or did someone else work on the "missing" sections...and if I understand correctly...Steven did no work on the CDs..
I think it is all clear. Wilson says that he was asked to remix surviving ORIGINAL ALBUM multitrack recordings into stereo and surround. HOWEVER, from the original Virgin album multitracks only Ricochet + 2 tracks from Phaedra were found. So he mixed Ricochet and 2 tracks from Phaedra into new stereo and also 5.1 surround. ADDITIONALLY, some unreleased music was found on other multitrack tapes e.g. the whole music of Oedipus Tyrannus, which was planned to be released in 74 but it eventually wasn't. It is so great that a decision was made to mix it into 5.1 too apart from a stereo mix. Some outtakes were also found from the Phaedra sessions and the Rubycon sessions - these were now mixed into stereo only. Nobody overdubbed or re-recorded anything.

I'll buy it just for the two blu rays, of course, regardless of who mixed the cds (y)

Shudder to think of the cost once it is OOP o_O:eek:

I never bothered with any of the CDs in the previous box sets...BUT...I can't remember buying a set with this many CDs in it...16...and King Crimson has 18CDs...of course the main attraction are the blu rays...as long as Steven worked on all the surround music....regardless of the source...I'm OK with it...the other factor for me is that Tangerine Dream is a "borderline" guilty pleasure....I like some of their music...and honestly haven't heard it all...

I never bothered with any of the CDs in the previous box sets...BUT...I can't remember buying a set with this many CDs in it...16...and King Crimson has 18CDs...of course the main attraction are the blu rays...as long as Steven worked on all the surround music....regardless of the source...I'm OK with it...the other factor for me is that Tangerine Dream is a "borderline" guilty pleasure....I like some of their music...and honestly haven't heard it all...
I'm in the same boat, completely......

I first became aware of Tangerine Dream in the 80's...I was a video guy and the movie Thief was a favorite...Michael Mann's ability to integrate TD's music in the movie was impressive....the later release by Criterion of the movie is impressive...at about the 8 minute mark things really take off

Last edited:
"My role was to create new stereo and 5.1 mixes of whatever could be found of the original album multitrack tapes, but that turned out to be only Ricochet and 2 tracks from Phaedra."

How unfortunate this is. If the multitracks for the other albums had been located, we would have presumably had a lot more music mixed into 5.1. But I'll take what I can get. I'm curious to know which two tracks from Phaedra will be in 5.1. If it's the album's two longest tracks, that's 27 minutes of music. If it's the two shortest tracks, it's 10 minutes.

Last edited:
"My role was to create new stereo and 5.1 mixes of whatever could be found of the original album multitrack tapes, but that turned out to be only Ricochet and 2 tracks from Phaedra."

How unfortunate this is. If the multitracks for the other albums had been located, we would have presumably had a lot more music mixed into 5.1. But I'll take what I can get. I'm curious to know which two tracks from Phaedra will be in 5.1. If it's the album's two longest tracks, that's 27 minutes of music. If it's the two shortest tracks, it's 10 minutes.

The tracks are Phaedra (18mn) and Sequent C (2mn)... so that's still slightly more than 50% of the album...

Last edited:
But the jawdropping amount of outtakes will make up for this
As this is the quadraphonic forum, people may be more interested in music in surround and as I understand it, the Phaedra out-takes were not mixed in 5.1

Came across this interesting tidbit in the 'reply' section of superdeluxeeditions:

Tom M says:
April 15, 2019 at 13:19
It’s not carved in stone but I’ve been reading rumors that the 5.1 mixes may be getting their own releases.

Since I spent quite a chunk of change on the Tangerine Dream SHM~SACD Stereo remasters* a scant few years ago, I would definitely be interested in this option .... if of course true!

*4 titles I have released by Universal on STEREO SHM~SACD: https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=1&keywords=tangerine+dream

Last edited:
I like your avatar...so things have paused so they have can have the official launch this Friday...
I think the world's largest music company would want their own way - so yes I think they've asked SDE and the Canadian site to delay things until 'they' give it the green light.

I think the world's largest music company would want their own way - so yes I think they've asked SDE and the Canadian site to delay things until 'they' give it the green light.

I thought it was a little strange you see that site in Canada as the first one to offer a pre order....forum member Tornado Red is probably behind that🤨🤣

Reactions: GOS
Oh no! They removed the tracklist and I didn’t get a chance to see it :eek:
Anyway I already preordered from that Canadian website that SW recommended :cool:

Tangerine Dream – In Search of Hades: The Virgin Recordings 1973 – 1979
CD One: “Phaedra” – Released as Virgin V 2010 in 1974

Phaedra
Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares
Moments of a Visionary
Sequent C
[Bonus track] Phaedra (Steven Wilson 2018 stereo remix)
[Bonus track] Sequent C (Steven Wilson 2018 stereo remix)

CD Two: November 1973 – Phaedra outtakes volume one – previously unreleased

2nd Day (20.30)
Flute Organ Piece (10.58)
Phaedra Out-Take version 2A (20.36)

CD Three: November 1973 – Phaedra outtakes volume two – previously unreleased

Phaedra Out-Take 1 (11.42)
Phaedra Out-Take 2B (5.42)
2nd Side piece 1 (13.05)
2nd Side piece 2 (9.18)
Organ piece (5.48)

CD Four: “Live at the Victoria Palace Theatre, London – 16th June 1974” Previously unreleased

The Victoria Palace Concert Part One

CD Five: “Live at the Victoria Palace Theatre, London – 16th June 1974” Previously unreleased

The Victoria Palace Concert Part Two
The Victoria Palace Concert – Encore

CD Six: “Oedipus Tyrannus” – Recorded in July 1974 Previously unreleased Mixed by Steven Wilson

Overture (10.58)
Act 1 (16.42)
Act 2: Battle (10.05)
Act 2: Baroque (8.53)
Act 2: Zeus (5.39)
Act 3 (22.08)

CD Seven: “Live at the Rainbow, London – 27th October 1974” Previously unreleased

Introduction by John Peel
The Rainbow Concert Part One
The Rainbow Concert Part Two

CD Eight: “Live at the Rainbow, London – 27th October 1974” Previously unreleased

The Rainbow Concert Part Three
The Rainbow Concert Encore

CD Nine: “Rubycon” – Released as Virgin V 2025 in 1975 Mixed by Steven Wilson Previously unreleased

Rubycon Part One
Rubycon Part Two
[Bonus track] Rubycon (extended introduction)

CD Ten: “The Royal Albert Hall, London 2nd April 1975”

The Royal Albert Hall Concert – Part One

CD Eleven: “The Royal Albert Hall, London 2nd April 1975”

The Royal Albert Hall Concert – Part Two
The Royal Albert Hall Concert – Encore

CD Twelve: “Ricochet” – Released as Virgin V 2044 in 1975

Ricochet Part One
Ricochet Part Two
[Bonus track] Ricochet Part One (Steven Wilson 2018 stereo remix)
[Bonus track] Ricochet Part Two (Steven Wilson 2018 stereo remix)

CD Thirteen: “Stratosfear” – Released as Virgin V 2068 in 1976

Stratosfear
The Big Sleep in Search of Hades
3am at the Border of the Marsh from Okefenokee
Invisible Limits
[Bonus track] Coventry Cathedral – The original film soundtrack
[Bonus track] Stratosfear (single edit) [Recorded at Coventry Cathedral – 4th October 1975, Previously unreleased]
[Bonus track] The Big Sleep in Search of Hades (single edit) [Recorded at Coventry Cathedral – 4th October 1975, Previously unreleased]

CD Fourteen: “Encore” – Released as Virgin VD 2506 in 1977

Cherokee Lane
Monolight
Cold Water Canyon
Desert Dream
[Bonus track] Encore
[Bonus track] Hobo March

CD Fifteen: “Cyclone” – Released as Virgin V 2097 in 1978

Bent Cold Sidewalk
Rising Runner Missed by Endless Sender
Madrigal Meridian
[Bonus track] Haunted Heights
[Bonus track] Barryl Blue

CD Sixteen: “Force Majeure” – Released as Virgin V 2111 in 1979

Force Majeure
Cloudburst Flight
Thru Metamorphic Rocks
[Bonus track] Chimes and Chains

Disc Seventeen – Blu Ray: 5.1 Surround Sound & 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo Steven Wilson Mixes

Phaedra [Phaedra]
Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares [Phaedra]
Moments of a Visionary [Phaedra]
Sequent C [Phaedra]
Overture (10.58) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]
Act 1 (16.42) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]
Act 2: Battle (10.05) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]
Act 2: Baroque (8.53) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]
Act 2: Zeus (5.39) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]
Act 3 (22.08) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]

Disc Eighteen – Blu Ray: 5.1 Surround Sound & 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo Steven Wilson Mixes

Ricochet Part One [Ricochet]
Ricochet Part Two [Ricochet]
Tangerine Dream at Coventry Cathedral [Visual content]
[BBC TV “Old Grey Whistle Test” – 3rd October 1976] Signale aus der Schwäbischen Strasse – Tangerine Dream documentary & performance (NDR / SFB TV Germany – 23rd May 1976)

Tangerine Dream – In Search of Hades: The Virgin Recordings 1973 – 1979
CD One: “Phaedra” – Released as Virgin V 2010 in 1974

Phaedra
Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares
Moments of a Visionary
Sequent C
[Bonus track] Phaedra (Steven Wilson 2018 stereo remix)
[Bonus track] Sequent C (Steven Wilson 2018 stereo remix)

CD Two: November 1973 – Phaedra outtakes volume one – previously unreleased

2nd Day (20.30)
Flute Organ Piece (10.58)
Phaedra Out-Take version 2A (20.36)

CD Three: November 1973 – Phaedra outtakes volume two – previously unreleased

Phaedra Out-Take 1 (11.42)
Phaedra Out-Take 2B (5.42)
2nd Side piece 1 (13.05)
2nd Side piece 2 (9.18)
Organ piece (5.48)

CD Four: “Live at the Victoria Palace Theatre, London – 16th June 1974” Previously unreleased

The Victoria Palace Concert Part One

CD Five: “Live at the Victoria Palace Theatre, London – 16th June 1974” Previously unreleased

The Victoria Palace Concert Part Two
The Victoria Palace Concert – Encore

CD Six: “Oedipus Tyrannus” – Recorded in July 1974 Previously unreleased Mixed by Steven Wilson

Overture (10.58)
Act 1 (16.42)
Act 2: Battle (10.05)
Act 2: Baroque (8.53)
Act 2: Zeus (5.39)
Act 3 (22.08)

CD Seven: “Live at the Rainbow, London – 27th October 1974” Previously unreleased

Introduction by John Peel
The Rainbow Concert Part One
The Rainbow Concert Part Two

CD Eight: “Live at the Rainbow, London – 27th October 1974” Previously unreleased

The Rainbow Concert Part Three
The Rainbow Concert Encore

CD Nine: “Rubycon” – Released as Virgin V 2025 in 1975 Mixed by Steven Wilson Previously unreleased

Rubycon Part One
Rubycon Part Two
[Bonus track] Rubycon (extended introduction)

CD Ten: “The Royal Albert Hall, London 2nd April 1975”

The Royal Albert Hall Concert – Part One

CD Eleven: “The Royal Albert Hall, London 2nd April 1975”

The Royal Albert Hall Concert – Part Two
The Royal Albert Hall Concert – Encore

CD Twelve: “Ricochet” – Released as Virgin V 2044 in 1975

Ricochet Part One
Ricochet Part Two
[Bonus track] Ricochet Part One (Steven Wilson 2018 stereo remix)
[Bonus track] Ricochet Part Two (Steven Wilson 2018 stereo remix)

CD Thirteen: “Stratosfear” – Released as Virgin V 2068 in 1976

Stratosfear
The Big Sleep in Search of Hades
3am at the Border of the Marsh from Okefenokee
Invisible Limits
[Bonus track] Coventry Cathedral – The original film soundtrack
[Bonus track] Stratosfear (single edit) [Recorded at Coventry Cathedral – 4th October 1975, Previously unreleased]
[Bonus track] The Big Sleep in Search of Hades (single edit) [Recorded at Coventry Cathedral – 4th October 1975, Previously unreleased]

CD Fourteen: “Encore” – Released as Virgin VD 2506 in 1977

Cherokee Lane
Monolight
Cold Water Canyon
Desert Dream
[Bonus track] Encore
[Bonus track] Hobo March

CD Fifteen: “Cyclone” – Released as Virgin V 2097 in 1978

Bent Cold Sidewalk
Rising Runner Missed by Endless Sender
Madrigal Meridian
[Bonus track] Haunted Heights
[Bonus track] Barryl Blue

CD Sixteen: “Force Majeure” – Released as Virgin V 2111 in 1979

Force Majeure
Cloudburst Flight
Thru Metamorphic Rocks
[Bonus track] Chimes and Chains

Disc Seventeen – Blu Ray: 5.1 Surround Sound & 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo Steven Wilson Mixes

Phaedra [Phaedra]
Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares [Phaedra]
Moments of a Visionary [Phaedra]
Sequent C [Phaedra]
Overture (10.58) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]
Act 1 (16.42) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]
Act 2: Battle (10.05) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]
Act 2: Baroque (8.53) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]
Act 2: Zeus (5.39) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]
Act 3 (22.08) [Oedipus Tyrannus – Recorded in July 1974]

Disc Eighteen – Blu Ray: 5.1 Surround Sound & 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo Steven Wilson Mixes

Ricochet Part One [Ricochet]
Ricochet Part Two [Ricochet]
Tangerine Dream at Coventry Cathedral [Visual content]
[BBC TV “Old Grey Whistle Test” – 3rd October 1976] Signale aus der Schwäbischen Strasse – Tangerine Dream documentary & performance (NDR / SFB TV Germany – 23rd May 1976)

Thanks! Much appreciated (y)

Back