Steven Wilson Steven Wilson's New Studio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Post from Steven himself on Instagram:

Until now my “studio” has pretty much been wherever I set my equipment up, so it’s a thrill to finally have my own properly designed and acoustically treated Wilson studio workspace, with fancy lighting and everything. Guitars yet to move in but great to have my trusty old upright piano finally back in reach. It’s also a full spec Dolby Atmos mixing room, thanks to the @dolbylabs team for helping me set it up (that’s 7.1.4 for those that are interested in this kind of surround listening experience). A lot of music is already coming out of this room!

So main takeaway is Steven's mixing space can now accommodate 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos! :)

106238893_200450767955556_4337189346242643545_n.jpg

So main takeaway is Steven's mixing space can now accommodate 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos! :)

Thanks for that. Yes, let's hope the lockdown is keeping him busy with both writing, recording, and remixing.

(A heads-up, by the way: your signature is still referencing releases "Coming soon in 2019"....)

Dig the Mellotron and other analog synthesizers. I have a Synthi 'A' (as you can see in my avatar). It's mine, you can trust me... I do quad recordings with it and my Eurorack system using the Poltergeist module from Koma Elektronik. It a Quadraphonic Audio / Panner / VCA combined. When I apply a control voltage to the VCAs, I can swirl the audio around as Suzanne Ciani does on "Quadraphonic Live".

looks like The Genelecs he mixes for 5.1 and beyond on are 8020D’s maybe the 8030’s hard to tell. Not bad priced at all and great speakers.

The expensive part then becomes the room treatment. Obviously just putting 11 of the Genelecs in the room and no treatment it would sound nothing like what he’s hearing,

We could STILL have the same gear AND even the same room but we will never have the same hearing..nor brain than SW ...nor anyone else...mind you we would come CLOSER to what he hears..but that would be it!

Kap, in an interview 50 something Steve Wilson did admit to having a hearing loss......which for a musician exposed to loud decibels for so many years is almost a given.

And usually, the piece de resistance for a professional set up like Steve's with the assistance of pros from Dolby Labs is a total room EQ done with studio grade microphones and computers very unlike the audyssey EQ most of us are accustomed to through our home receivers.

And since Steve's remixing chores include Stereo, QUAD, 5.1 and now Dolby Atmos, I can only imagine what a challenge it was to properly EQ that room to encompass a multitude of mixing choices!

Last edited:
"It’s also a full spec Dolby Atmos mixing room, thanks to the @dolbylabs team for helping me set it up (that’s 7.1.4 for those that are interested in this kind of surround listening experience). A lot of music is already coming out of this room "

News doesn't come much better than that, specially with all the craziness going on outside.
I can't wait to hear a SW mixed Atmos prog rock recording!!!

Back