Steven Wilson Steven Wilson's New Studio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if I love Steven Wilson's works, if he continues to release material in expensive boxsets, I will stop buying his physical products and listen on streaming only.

Even if I love Steven Wilson's works, if he continues to release material in expensive boxsets, I will stop buying his physical products and listen on streaming only.

He doesn't release anything. He mixes.

Is he focusing his efforts on spatial headphones or is he just acknowledging that these people exist?
I believe he focuses on optimizing for a full speaker array but acknowledges that most listeners are headphone-only, and so has to make sure it doesn’t sound “wrong” that way.

Last edited:
I believe he focuses on optimizing for a full speaker array but acknowledges that most listeners are headphone-only, and so has to make sure it doesn’t sound “wrong” that way.
That's what I fear.
If the main objective is to sound good in binaural spatial audio (the bigger market), that could 'limit' the artistic expresion of many moving discrete sounds and sounds from 'above' that are only properly enjoyed in a good 7.1.4 and beyond.

...sounds from 'above' that are only properly enjoyed in a good 7.1.4 and beyond.
I would wager full-range 4.0.1 would actually be sufficient to enjoy two-plane surround with some level of success. I don't think that's a supported configuration, though.

That's what I fear.
If the main objective is to sound good in binaural spatial audio (the bigger market), that could 'limit' the artistic expresion of many moving discrete sounds and sounds from 'above' that are only properly enjoyed in a good 7.1.4 and beyond.
Unlike Steven Wilson I don't fear anything. I'll put the bass guitar in the rears and spin the violins above your head if that's what it takes to make an interesting mix.
However, I am not bound by what the record labels/the general populace wants, so that puts me in the "who the hell is this guy" category.

Unlike Steven Wilson I don't fear anything. I'll put the bass guitar in the rears and spin the violins above your head if that's what it takes to make an interesting mix.
However, I am not bound by what the record labels/the general populace wants, so that puts me in the "who the hell is this guy" category.
¡¡¡¡Oooooooooléééé!!!!!
totally agree with you!

Very Nice.
I look forward to listen to your next surround mixes, hopefully in Atmos ;)

Questions:

1. Will it sell that way?

2. Is it safe to spin violins when driving a car on the road?

3. What do you do when they take your favorite off the service?

I agree, mrcond. It reminds me of what things were like back during stereo being the newer format. Many folks would separate their speakers - one in one room and the other in another room entirely. Used to drive me crazy, but they had no issues - "I can hear the album in both rooms that way." Same with immersive. A lot of folks are listening via ear buds/headphones and will not care they are missing the full impact of a good Atmos mix.

Wilson isn't the one in charge of what and when albums are released - the record company and/or the group are the ones that determine the release schedules AND pricing. I think one partial reason for the high prices is that fewer people are buying physical product - they only listen to streaming audio or their cloud based collection. If you are only going to sell 10000 copies of something it makes the product more expensive to produce to a certain extent (the rest is just greed on the record company's part). Packaging costs more than just a simple audio file.

Questions:

1. Will it sell that way?

2. Is it safe to spin violins when driving a car on the road?

3. What do you do when they take your favorite off the service?
1. I can always force it down someone's throa...er, disc player.

2. No, but it's safe to spin the car.

3. Which service? I'm a disc user, and I'll be damned if a record label sends an agent with a gun to my head and tells me I can't listen to an artist's album anymore cause they feel like it. As for my music, it'll always be available at a reasonable price somewhere.

Wilson's 5.1 mix of "Cygnus X-1" by Rush starts off with the bass guitar totally isolated in the rears, then it audibly 'walks' across the room to the front speakers.
Ah, well, Steven Wilson didn't keep it there.
Hell, let's switch the rear and front speakers every three seconds to make it more nauseati- er, interesting.

I can't picture him going from listening to his studio setup, to putting on the ear buds that are popular and tweaking the mix based on them.

Back