Quad LP/Tape Poll Stevens, Ray: Turn Your Radio On [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Turn Your Radio On"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Barnaby ZQ 30809, from 1972.

Side 1:

Turn Your Radio On
Love Lifted Me
Yes, Jesus Loves Me
Let Your Love Be a Light Unto the People
A Mama and a Papa
Have a Little Talk With Myself

Side 2:

All My Trials
I'll Fly Away
Why Don't You Lead Me to That Rock
Glory Special
Oh! Will There Be Any Stars

ED :)

The mixes on this album make a lot more sense. Drums and Bass are kept up front. Much more focus than the previous installment with the "something over here, something over there" approach. Too bad there's not as many hits or toe-tappers on this tape.

Yeah, this one was intended to be spiritual but not deep the way some country gospel albums could be. "Have a Little Talk" is common to both albums. Fairly conventional if sensible mixes, a '7' here, but can't say the music moves me much.

I wonder why "Have a Little Talk" made it to the Hits record as opposed to "Turn Your Radio On" which is really the only stand-out cut.

The answer to that one's simple: "Have a Little Talk" was originally released on 45 in late 1969, while "Turn Your Radio On" was released after the hits album was, in late 1971. The former was a very belated inclusion to the album, to be sure; made more sense on the hits comp.

I wonder why "Have a Little Talk" made it to the Hits record as opposed to "Turn Your Radio On" which is really the only stand-out cut.

Hehe, see the thread on the Johnny Nash album. We got to talking about why they'd choose to release a Quad album with no hits while ignoring other Very popular titles. It makes no sense.

Hehe, see the thread on the Johnny Nash album. We got to talking about why they'd choose to release a Quad album with no hits while ignoring other Very popular titles. It makes no sense.

The only sense I can make of that is that the intent was to release stereo/quad titles as double inventory simultaneously (or close). Note that by 1973 we were getting customized, full graphic covers instead of the 'gold border' editions of '71/72. There were exceptions, like the '69 Santana debut, that probably should have been issued years earlier, but better late than never. It's unfortunate CBS didn't just issue quad-only albums on a regular basis, since they were compatible with any modern equipment. But with competing formats and the usual consumer confusion about quad, they probably figured that was a road to nowhere. As any quad road turned out to be, thanks to the labels.

Back