HiRez Poll Stevens, Steve - Flamenco A Go-Go [DVD-Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Steve Stevens - Flamenco A Go-Go

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio release from DTS Entertainment. (y):phones(n)

Attachments

• flamenco.jpg
    flamenco.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 335
There used to be a review of that one on dvdangle from our member Felix E. Martinez but the archived version is gone too.

I don't remember was Felix wrote, but I gave another listen today to this DVD-A I don't play very often, although I bought the original CD when it came out in 1999 (Japanese import !).

I was a fan of Steve Stevens then, especially for his releases with the the super trio comprised of himself and the mighty Tony Levin and Terry Bozzio.

I've always been surprised that DTS Entertainment picked that album for the full DVD-A treatment, given the relative confidentiality of Steve Stevens since his Billy Idol's days, but... I must admit that the surround mix and the fidelity are top notch.

The consistency of this "flamenco fusion" is a bit tiring in the end, but technically speaking, it's a shining DVD-A.

I recommend it for people who like guitarists, and who want very discrete mix.

This is a very under the radar kind of release as many don't know Steve Stevens primarily as the guitarist for Billy "Rebel Yell" Idol or the soloist at the end of Michael Jackson's "Dirty Diana" or the awe inspiring "Top Gun Anthem" from the 1986 flick starring Tom Cruise. Thankfully I came across this release for a mere $19 at micksmuse.com after it had already been OOP for several years. It fetches much more $ than that today.

If you dig flamenco style guitar or world music even, you may want to seek this out. While not the most discrete mix in the world, it certainly has its moments where it jumps out at you, sound effects n' all. Fans of Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia and John McLaughlin should definitely apply interest in seeking a copy.

I give this an 8.

Dan

I've only just discovered this one, having obtained it in a trade lately.
It's superb, it really is - although the title is pretty much a misnomer, as the only real flamenco stuff is the opener.
As far as "Under The Radar" titles go, this one is right up there alongside another little known guitar title - Esteban's "Enter The Heart" (also a DTS Ents release).
Anyone looking for Billy Idol type riffing is going to be out of luk here, but it is seriously well mixed & beautifully recorded.

A solid 9 from me. Highly recommended

I give this one a very solid 9. Incredible use of discrete surround and wonderfully recorded. The music itself has flavors of pop-flamenco throughout, but it is basically new-agey (not my favorite stuff). Some solid basic flamenco-style guitar playing (as a guitarist that has played some flamenco in the past) and great fun to listen to.

A definite 9 from me.

Great sonics and a well balanced active surround mix.

Great guitar work. An excellent disc

There used to be a review of that one on dvdangle from our member Felix E. Martinez but the archived version is gone too.

I don't remember was Felix wrote, but I gave another listen today to this DVD-A I don't play very often, although I bought the original CD when it came out in 1999 (Japanese import !).

I was a fan of Steve Stevens then, especially for his releases with the the super trio comprised of himself and the mighty Tony Levin and Terry Bozzio.

I've always been surprised that DTS Entertainment picked that album for the full DVD-A treatment, given the relative confidentiality of Steve Stevens since his Billy Idol's days, but... I must admit that the surround mix and the fidelity are top notch.

The consistency of this "flamenco fusion" is a bit tiring in the end, but technically speaking, it's a shining DVD-A.

I recommend it for people who like guitarists, and who want very discrete mix.
I still love this disc. My ancient review can be found here. If you can find it, it's definitely worth picking up.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I've only just discovered this one, having obtained it in a trade lately.
It's superb, it really is - although the title is pretty much a misnomer, as the only real flamenco stuff is the opener.
As far as "Under The Radar" titles go, this one is right up there alongside another little known guitar title - Esteban's "Enter The Heart" (also a DTS Ents release).
Anyone looking for Billy Idol type riffing is going to be out of luk here, but it is seriously well mixed & beautifully recorded.

A solid 9 from me. Highly recommended

Funny Neil mentions the Esteban disc - just playing this now for the first time and my thought was that this is similar to the Esteban - Enter the Heart DVD-A!

Funny Neil mentions the Esteban disc - just playing this now for the first time and my thought was that this is similar to the Esteban - Enter the Heart DVD-A!

Is this Flamenco DVDA-Go Go doing it for you so far LK?

I haven't had a chance to play my it yet (it only just arrived in the mail) but the Esteban's very nice, so if Neil rates this Steve Stevens as well, then I know I'm in for a treat..!!

(just thinking, Neil's been quiet lately.. either he's busy on some super top-secret new project.. or he's taking a well-deserved Xmas break!)

I'm warming to it.. Nice recording...need to listen to it some more.

I vote 10. I really like this one. The music and mix are both super.

Got this oop disc a week ago and I love it. I had to pay $53cdn (which is about $1.95us LOL!...no it's actually $39 but who's bitter, right?). OK, back on topic, it is worth every penny I paid.

Essentially it is acoustic Spanish guitar in a framework of jazzy, poppy, electronic arrangements with other instruments. Mostly instrumental. It has a great beat/vibe that sustains itself throughout the album. I find the sound of nylon guitar strings a refreshing break from the standard steel-string sound that I always get on all the other discs I buy. Of course I love the steel sound but this disc presents tones that I find captivating. Nothing else like it in my collection.

And Stevens is a joy to listen to - a virtuoso guitar player. There are some dazzling licks. And what about a guy who paints the fingernails on his left hand black. What's up with that!

The only downside for me is it is mastered a bit loud - Mr. Bob Ludwig, of course.

Last edited:
sorry for the slight derail...
Today I played in my commute the Bozzio Levin Stevens "Situation Dangerous" CD...to me , it's WAY more inspired than the "Black Light Syndrome" released later..I mean, it's REALLY F*CKIN' AWESOME!!!!!

sorry for the slight derail...
Today I played in my commute the Bozzio Levin Stevens "Situation Dangerous" CD...to me , it's WAY more inspired than the "Black Light Syndrome" released later..I mean, it's REALLY F*CKIN' AWESOME!!!!!

Well, if you're going to derail then it has to be to a multichannel release. CD?, c'mon! :ugham:

Back