Stevie Wonder Quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modwerks

I've been investigating if any of the Classic Trio(Talking Book, Innervisions, FFF) were recorded in quad. And I've come up with some conflicting info. Sorry, if this has already been covered, elsewhere. I did find this Interview with Robert Margouleff, where he discusses his history with Stevie. Interestingly, he mentions that they mixed in quad. Enjoy

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...opy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

@steelydave has posted about this in the past and might be able to direct you to earlier discussions. Worth being reminded about that article periodically, just the same.
Thanks. Yes, apparently this article was written commentating the 40th anniversary of Talking Book. But, no love in the Industry for the 50th?...
P.S. happy New Year to all..

Stevie Wonder was one of those artists that always shocked me that he didn't have any quadraphonic releases, even like some obscure Japanese one. He was huge around the time that quad started ramping up. Plus, a tune like Superstition from 1972 sounded like it should have been made for 4 channels.

Stevie Wonder was one of those artists that always shocked me that he didn't have any quadraphonic releases, even like some obscure Japanese one. He was huge around the time that quad started ramping up. Plus, a tune like Superstition from 1972 sounded like it should have been made for 4 channels.
Excellent quad version on "Beck, Bogert & Appice"! Not Stevie's version but I like it even more!

@fredblue knows everything about quad, give him a call.
who ya gonna call? 👀👂 Quadbusters! 😂😅

i don't have anything to bring to the table on this one 🤷🏻‍♀️ at one time i was rather obsessed with the idea of finding/hearing Stevie Wonder's unreleased Quads, now i'm kinda zen about it 🌈✌️🕊☮️

steelydave is "the man with the plan" on this topic, i'm sure he has some info to add 🥳☺️

I'd imagine they were done. Judging by the output in Japan, Motown was trying to break into Quad. I think their biggest issue was finding a duplicator here in the states.
If they were going to use the CD-4 system, they'd have to contract with RCA, right? Even though they already had a contract for their stereo pressings. The costs may have been prohibitive. On the 8-track side, I'm not sure who they contracted with for tape duplication, but finding Motown 8-tracks today is no easy feat. They must not have produced that many back then and, possibly like the situation with discs, would've had to go to yet another outside supplier capable of doing Quad tape. Even though their unknown supplier did eventually give us TWO domestic Q8 tapes.... I guess when you're a small record label - you haven't got many options.

I've been investigating if any of the Classic Trio(Talking Book, Innervisions, FFF) were recorded in quad. And I've come up with some conflicting info. Sorry, if this has already been covered, elsewhere. I did find this Interview with Robert Margouleff, where he discusses his history with Stevie. Interestingly, he mentions that they mixed in quad. Enjoy

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...opy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

According to an interview with Baker Bigsby , he mixed those three albums in quad , because he knew or had experience in quad mixing.
The interview can be found on line ie " Baker Bigsby , Red Bull Music Academy"

Tamala/Motown. What major conglomerate record label now owns them? I know things have shifted big time over the last years. Curious where they ended up.

I believe they're distributed by Universal. Not good news given the big fire some years back. However, knowing Stevie, I wouldn't be surprised if, like Prince, he had his own vault somewhere.

I believe they're distributed by Universal. Not good news given the big fire some years back. However, knowing Stevie, I wouldn't be surprised if, like Prince, he had his own vault somewhere.
Has Universal done any special multichannel releases the way Sony Japan or Rhino has done? Maybe there's hope?!

Here's a quick history..It was an independent company until MCA Records bought it in 1988. PolyGram purchased the label from MCA in 1993, followed by MCA successor Universal Music Group, which acquired PolyGram in 1999.[2]

Motown spent much of the 2000s headquartered in New York City as a part of the UMG subsidiaries Universal Motown and Universal Motown Republic Group. From 2011 to 2014, it was a part of The Island Def Jam Music Group division of Universal Music.[5][6][7] In 2014, however, UMG announced the dissolution of Island Def Jam, and Motown relocated back to Los Angeles to operate under the Capitol Music Group, now operating out of the Capitol Tower.[1] In 2018, Motown was inducted into Rhythm and Blues Music Hall of Fame in a ceremony held at the Charles H. Wright Museum.[8]

In 2021 Motown separated from the Capitol Music Group to become a standalone label once again

Back