DVD/DTS Poll Stewart, Al - YEAR OF THE CAT [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Al Stewart - YEAR OF THE CAT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I finally decided to pull the trigger on this one. I've always loved the title track but never really warmed to the rest of the album. I also have his greatest hits RBCD which I have listened to occasionally but only cared for a few songs. It arrived yesterday and I am so happy I picked it up. I really do think the mix is excellent. It may be one of the few albums where the 5.1 mix made me like the album more than I ever have. I will give it an 8 based largely on the surround mix. It sounds good to my ears.

I finally decided to pull the trigger on this one. I've always loved the title track but never really warmed to the rest of the album. I also have his greatest hits RBCD which I have listened to occasionally but only cared for a few songs. It arrived yesterday and I am so happy I picked it up. I really do think the mix is excellent. It may be one of the few albums where the 5.1 mix made me like the album more than I ever have. I will give it an 8 based largely on the surround mix. It sounds good to my ears.
Just listened to it tonight - completely agree.
Can’t decide between DTS or Dolby…do you have an opinion?

Just listened to it tonight - completely agree.
Can’t decide between DTS or Dolby…do you have an opinion?
I've listened to both and I can't say either stands above the other (you take Sally, I'll take Sue, there ain't no difference between the two.). I like them both. I've only listened to it 3 times since yesterday so perhaps I will eventually prefer one over the other but right now I cannot make a call. I may even raise my score to a 9 after a few more listens. We'll see.

I couldn’t tell much difference between DTS or Dolby 5.1 mixes either.
Tried to hear the hot high end described by many here but did not hear a harsh high end IMO.
My old ears may have lost some of their upper frequency hearing I guess. The DTS 5.1 sounds great to me.

Some have said the Dolby is slightly less bright. Some of us have EQ'd the tracks to remedy the brightness of the mastering. That hot high end doesn't bother any of you?
I am probably not that discerning 🙃
I am not really an audiophile, but the Yamaha receiver I have has a “Direct” setting, which apparently strips out any additional artifice - supposedly the most “pure” way to hear the recording.
I think I have settled on using that with the Dolby mix.
The main thing for me is that (despite the song “Year of The Cat” being a fave of mine for ages), I have never owned this album in any form.
I have been shocked how solid it is - so many strong tracks!
I have really enjoyed getting to know it.
Once again, this forum and my newfound love of surround music turns up a gem 💎

Some have said the Dolby is slightly less bright. Some of us have EQ'd the tracks to remedy the brightness of the mastering. That hot high end doesn't bother any of you?
I can''t say it bothers me enough to matter. I rarely listen to music cranked up to "11" so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me. The louder you play your music the more cracks appear.

I gave this another listen yesterday and it could have, would have been a ten BUT! Lord Grenville has almost zero surround effect, even with the rears boosted. The next couple of tracks, including one of my favourites "On The Border" benefit greatly from a boost in the rear channels, someone suggested 5dB, which would be about right. From then onward I had to tip the balance back to normal and the mix on the rest of the disc sounded great. Sound quality was great considering this is just a DVD video disc.

When I get around to ripping this to the hard drive, I'll definitely adjust the levels of the first three tracks.

I recently pre ordered "Time Passages" although I'm not a big fan of that album, hopefully it will have its moments. I often find albums that I don't care much for (in stereo) I do enjoy more in surround!

So it's not a 10 due to the first three tracks and the lossy format. I'll give it a solid 8.

Back