DVD/DTS Poll Stewart, Al - YEAR OF THE CAT [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Al Stewart - YEAR OF THE CAT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
More likely they either don't know what true DVD-Audio is, or if they know they don't want to pay extra someone who can author DVD-Audio discs.

I think it's the former....I once had a conversation with another company on this issue and even though it was a phone conversation...I could sense the "deer in the headlights" response....they were clueless...

Going with an 8, but a solid 8. Get this!
-1 point for DVD-V when other superior formats are available and -1 point for the questionable DTS mastering.

I agree with the sentiment of our friend from under the hill. DVD-V is the worst of the acceptable formats available these days. However, none of the formats available are all that new. DVD-V, DVD-A and SACD are all old enough to drink, They are all 20th Century technology. Blu-Ray is old enough to drive, depending on the state. DVD-V & DVD-A are the same technology if I remember correctly, DVD-A's benefit is the lossless MLP codec. Blu-Ray's best attribute, is its comparatively massive storage capacity. Although, in 2021, 50GB isn't that great. The tech hasn't changed as far as I know. What has changed is the coding from Dolby, DTS and other players in that market. Blu-Ray can handle it which is great.

The problem seems to be in the cost to access the different formats. From the interview Mike did with Bruce Soord, Blu-Ray is expensive. Why a label goes with one format over another probably has many reasons, cost and who's paying are probably being the big ones. "Year of the Cat" probably lost a lot of ability to spend with whatever entanglements delayed its release. My feeling about the prevalence of DVD-V releases is, 1. DVD-A has been left to die and 2. How much Blu-Ray costs.

Steve Jobs once responded, to a question about why Macs don't support Blu-Ray out of the box, that Blu-Ray was a world of hurt. I think that if Blu-Ray wasn't a world of hurt, old school DVDs would have ceased exist years ago.

As I mentioned in the other thread on this set, I applied the following filter to the DTS steam in Audacity to soften up the harshness, especially of the crashing cymbals:

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 8.33.49 AM.jpg

I used the above filter on all tracks except for YOTC where I settled on a -2dB at 8kHz trough. I am very pleased with the results. Others may want to ease up on the depth of the trough depending on the audio system / personal tastes. Your thoughts?

Another way to soften up this recording is to first listen to the Gin Blossoms, A New Miserable Experience. Then this one, even in its unaltered form, will sound just right. ;)

As I mentioned in the other thread on this set, I applied the following filter to the DTS steam in Audacity to soften up the harshness, especially of the crashing cymbals:

View attachment 66333

I used the above filter on all tracks except for YOTC where I settled on a -2dB at 8kHz trough. I am very pleased with the results. Others may want to ease up on the depth of the trough depending on the audio system / personal tastes. Your thoughts?

Another way to soften up this recording is to first listen to the Gin Blossoms, A New Miserable Experience. Then this one, even in its unaltered form, will sound just right. ;)
Don't forget old ears,I have no problem with harshness on this disc. ;)

I voted 7, a good surround mix, not really adventurous but envelopping and immersive.
I took out ~2 points for the super-edgy and extra-crispy mastering (presuming it's not the mixing) that makes the cymbals (especially the hi-hat) the main instrument in most tracks.

Last edited:
Does anyone have issues with the DTS material? Dolby Surround works fine... I have an universal player, Sony UBP-X800M2

Does anyone have issues with the DTS material? Dolby Surround works fine... I have an universal player, Sony UBP-X800M2
No playback issues on my X800M2 via DTS, other than sonically as has been stated many times in the 2 threads. Next time I play it, it will be with the Dolby, and perhaps that will sound a bit better for me.

I was not overly familiar with this album, I knew the hits, Year of the Cat and On the Border but nothing else. After the hangover of 2020 excess of excellent surround releases and noting in my cart, but Steven Wilson's long delayed "2020" release, I had to imbibe of some hair of the dog for 2020. This just happened to be a cat.

The set arrived during lunch, so the home office moved to my listening area. What a great afternoon. I've listened to the album three times today, with each liter better than the previous. As mentioned, I was not familiar with most of the album, but I am growing to love these songs and Stewart's style. The stories and the music are great. I also love the light touch, This is not an album that wears you down. The playing is great and not overbearing. I am refreshed after listening and ready for another trip though Mr. Stewart's universe.

Sonically the the DTS sounds great to me. The instruments are crisp and sound like they should. The mix is amazing. For a 45yo album it is great to have the original producer produce the 5.1 mix. Parsons' mix is amazing. Immersive and discrete without being showy.

The materials that come with the package are good too. I haven't read through the book yet, but look forward to the essay. the only gripe would be the disc holder. another 1/2" - 3/4" of depth to sink the discs into and the set would be perfect.

After reading some negative comments, I was going to post my positive thoughts about this album/set but you basically channeled my experience & impressions.
I second that emotion 👍🏼👍🏼

I am a huge fan of this album and was very excited to see that the multi-channel mix had finally made it to market. I remember when Parsons' 5.1 "spec" mix of the tracks "Year Of The Cat" and "Time Passages" got leaked, about a decade ago, when he produced them to try and tempt UMG into doing 5.1 issues of both albums. This seems to be the culmiation of that project - you'll notice that the 5.1 disc has the DVD-Audio logo in the artwork; an artifact that shows just how long it took to get this out of the can. (I actually had a glimmer of hope that it was accurate when I saw it.) However, DTS is what we got, and it's alright.

I agree with some other posters here who observed that the quality of the 5.1 mix feels slightly off; I had to apply +5 dB boost to the back speakers and lift the sub a bit for optimal reproduction. I can only think that the fault of this lies with the DTS mastering engineer (assuming Parsons did only the mixing, and not the authoring). In fact, the leaked version of the "Cat" track sounds fuller to me when I compare the two.

The material is pretty comprehensive. I appreciate the bonus of "Belsize Blues" which IMO would have made a great addition to the record originally. The two CDs of concert performances from Seattle are very welcome, as only a little of this show has been released previously, and those bits were hard to come by. And the booklet (while a little overblown with all the various 45 sleeve photos and such) gives a great view of Stewart's mindset and creative process during the recording of the record (and also Janus' dismay at said process).

All said I'm super happy this finally made print and am glad to have it, but I had to knock the rating a notch due to the deficiencies of the 5.1 mix. Here's hoping that Parsons' 5.1 of "Time Passages" squeezes through the pipeline as well.

I am a huge fan of this album and was very excited to see that the multi-channel mix had finally made it to market. I remember when Parsons' 5.1 "spec" mix of the tracks "Year Of The Cat" and "Time Passages" got leaked, about a decade ago, when he produced them to try and tempt UMG into doing 5.1 issues of both albums. This seems to be the culmiation of that project - you'll notice that the 5.1 disc has the DVD-Audio logo in the artwork; an artifact that shows just how long it took to get this out of the can. (I actually had a glimmer of hope that it was accurate when I saw it.) However, DTS is what we got, and it's alright.

I agree with some other posters here who observed that the quality of the 5.1 mix feels slightly off; I had to apply +5 dB boost to the back speakers and lift the sub a bit for optimal reproduction. I can only think that the fault of this lies with the DTS mastering engineer (assuming Parsons did only the mixing, and not the authoring). In fact, the leaked version of the "Cat" track sounds fuller to me when I compare the two.

All said I'm super happy this finally made print and am glad to have it, but I had to knock the rating a notch due to the deficiencies of the 5.1 mix. Here's hoping that Parsons' 5.1 of "Time Passages" squeezes through the pipeline as well.
Check out the DD stream. I find it way more enjoyable than the DTS on this one.

Check out the DD stream. I find it way more enjoyable than the DTS on this one.
I still have to get around to trying the DD stream, but I was listening to my reworked DTS version (see post #44) again last night and I’m still extremely pleased with the results. Despite my bitching and moaning about the EQ on the as-delivered DTS, I still rate this set a 10.

Another 8 for me. Fine, immersive with a smooth sound inherent in Parsons' production but a bit too ordinary for a higher rating. I'd never heard the album before except for the hit title track. Good, easy-listening folk rock for a Sunday morning kind of LP. A couple more songs as good as "Year of the Cat" would've made it a classic.

Last edited:
I toyed with getting this album for a few months as I read QQ and various reviews. Other than the title track I was not that familiar with the album, but I enjoy discovering “new” old music, especially in 5.1 and Quad.

I almost talked myself out of getting it after reading some of the criticism. Glad I didn’t. Really enjoy the music, not the best sounding disc or mix I’ve heard, but a really nice listen.

9 overall.

Back