Still UNKNOWN USA release QUAD Lp 1975 !!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if this is a legitimate Quad encoded title, but I will say it up-mixes very well using Penteo and this new Japan CD I got.
says it's Produced by Nick Mason & Mixed by Rick Curtain

https://www.discogs.com/Gong-Shamal/release/2762345
May need to run it through the SMv2 also and compare.

View attachment 60026

Have you read/heard somewhere that this was a "stealth" SQ CD, Pup? (I've heard a conversion of the SQ LP, but don't have any notes or memories of it.)

Have you read/heard somewhere that this was a "stealth" SQ CD, Pup? (I've heard a conversion of the SQ LP, but don't have any notes or memories of it.)
No, just liked the music and thought I'd try it out, but it does up-mix incredibly easy and convincingly (maybe just a nice wide recording.) How did your SQ LP conversion sound to you?; OK got it, but do you still have the conversion?

No, just liked the music and thought I'd try it out, but it does up-mix incredibly easy and convincingly (maybe just a nice wide recording.) How did your SQ LP conversion sound to you?; OK got it, but do you still have the conversion?

Huh. Well, I'm just now reading old threads about how it was never definitively established whether the copy of this album that showed up on eBay with the "SQ-encoded" label was a misprint. Discogs and Popsike are equivocal; Mark Anderson says no. So I don't know what I've got, I guess. I'll have to pull it out and give it a listen...

Last edited:
I would suspect that the copies marked SQ are misprints as the catalog number is PZ 34156, the same as the stereo copies that bear no SQ markings. An SQ quad recording would likely have a PZQ prefix. Rather cool though, if not disappointing, that it's most likely only stereo. If you have one look for the presence or absence of the double helical groove modulation pattern.

I would suspect that the copies marked SQ are misprints as the catalog number is PZ 34156, the same as the stereo copies that bear no SQ markings. An SQ quad recording would likely have a PZQ prefix. Rather cool though, if not disappointing, that it's most likely only stereo. If you have one look for the presence or absence of the double helical groove modulation pattern.

But the "single inventory" quads from 1976 and 77 just had one catalog number, right?--with no "Q" suffix.

So what would that "double helical groove modulation pattern" look like to the naked eye? (Google just wants to show me chemistry and genetics stuff.) I'd love to know if it's possible to say definitively whether this is SQ encoded, either from waveform analysis or visual/microscopic examination of the grooves or whatever...

(Although if it turns out to be a case of a stereo recording that happens to "decode" well, with a label misprinted on leftover SQ stock, then I guess it from one point of view, it doesn't really matter!)

Last edited:
But the "single inventory" quads from 1976 and 77 just had one catalog number, right?--with no "Q" suffix.

So what would that "double helical groove modulation pattern" look like to the naked eye? (Google just wants to show me chemistry and genetics stuff.) I'd love to know if it's possible to say definitively whether this is SQ encoded, either from waveform analysis or visual/microscopic examination of the grooves or whatever...

(Although if it turns out to be a case of a stereo recording that happens to "decode" well, with a label misprinted on leftover SQ stock, then I guess it from one point of view, it doesn't really matter!)
Yes I can't find any images either. It's hard to show what I'm talking about, photos are hard to discern. The grove pattern is much more complex, than with regular stereo. If you have any SQ records look at them under decent light and then look at the grooves of some regular stereo records, you'll see what I mean. Even QS records also have a slightly more complex groove pattern than stereo but not nearly as obvious as SQ. I used to examine the grooves of each new Quad record that I purchased.

Yes I can't find any images either. It's hard to show what I'm talking about, photos are hard to discern. The grove pattern is much more complex, than with regular stereo. If you have any SQ records look at them under decent light and then look at the grooves of some regular stereo records, you'll see what I mean. Even QS records also have a slightly more complex groove pattern than stereo but not nearly as obvious as SQ. I used to examine the grooves of each new Quad record that I purchased.

Thanks, @par4ken. As it turns out, I think visual inspection would be unnecessary in this case. I finally dug out the conversion I acquired, reportedly done with a Tate II, and gave it a listen. Even the front channels are barely stereo, and the rears sound like the fronts doubled, but with less bass and a ton of artefacting. Looking at the waveforms in Audacity just confirms that impression. So...I'd love for one of the people who claimed to hear something different, back when this thread was started, to offer up some details.

Thanks, @par4ken. As it turns out, I think visual inspection would be unnecessary in this case. I finally dug out the conversion I acquired, reportedly done with a Tate II, and gave it a listen. Even the front channels are barely stereo, and the rears sound like the fronts doubled, but with less bass and a ton of artefacting. Looking at the waveforms in Audacity just confirms that impression. So...I'd love for one of the people who claimed to hear something different, back when this thread was started, to offer up some details.
That description sounds like a plain stereo record alright!

Back