HiRez Poll Sting - BRAND NEW DAY [SACD and DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Sting - BRAND NEW DAY

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this title! (y) :phones (n)

DVD-A/V scans:
R-3178040-1354104369-6470.jpeg.jpg

R-3178040-1354104380-2245.jpeg.jpg

SACD scans:
R-2289403-1299934546.jpeg.jpg

R-2289403-1299934554.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Gem from Elliot Scheiner - what more can I say?
The mix is, as usual, superb - and if you are into Sting at all then this disc is an absolute "must buy".
One of the "bonus" features here really highlights the difference between Surround/Stereo and High Rez over Lossy: there is a video of the track "After The Rain Has Fallen" with a stereo DD audio stream.
Play this, then access the same track - in stereo - off the High Rez section and prepare to be stunned at the difference in sound quality.
And Elliot's Surround mix is awesome.

Contents are
24/48 High Rez Surround (The reason it only got a 9 from me. 24/96 would have given it a 10)
24/44.1 stereo - an odd choice of sample rate!
Dolby Digital Surround
The video for the single
Various active extras, such as photos, lyric sheets etc.

All in all, a fine release all round.

And did I mention that Elliot's surround mix is superb yet?

I'm not the biggest fan of Sting or the album, but the mix is undeniably impressive and a nice listen...a '9'!

ED :)

7/10 from me for the SACD. Everything is great on it. Great mix, surrounds, etc. Elliot did a great job. However I knock 3 off since its missing the full version of "End Of The Game" which is on the DTS CD.

6/10 for the DVD-A verison. The sound is a little more dry on this version. Still missing "End Of The Game" on the DVD-A side but however it is on the DVD-Video side at the end of the album in DD 5.1.

Sting isn't my fav, but this is a great SA-CD.

Excellent sonics. Great surround mix by Elliot.

I like the music... much to my surprise.

A 9 disc for me.

Seeing as I couldn't find a Poll for the DTS CD (which is the way to go on this one in MultiCh it seems, as the DTS CD is the only disc with the complete "End of the Game").. well here I am to vote!

Even though I'm not into Sting (at all..!) and the Sacred Love SACD I have of his sucks big time in every respect, this is superb! I can actually bear the music here -- and the surround mix is just superb!

another Elliot Scheiner masterwork!

It's a "9".

Actually even though the 7th track is the same as on the SACD - the 19 second Prelude - on the DVD Audio the entire 'End of the Game' is hidden on the same track as 'Brand New Day'. Just let it run. It's there!

Last edited:
I've only heard this on DTS-CD. I found it so boring, and way too bass heavy. I couldn't play it all the way through, it gave me a headache. The opener makes a good ambient track if you forget to switch in the front stereo pair: no vocals, and mainly percussion and some synth.

a "2"..!? Jesus... :mad:@: I'm not into Sting (and that's being kind) but the surround mix on this has some spectacular moments and generally elevates some pretty "meh" material.. so if that "2" is for the mix only (fronts on or off) and it's a big fat zero for fidelity and content, I guess it is what it is :)

Great sounding disc(SACD). Sting is a pretentious Jame Blunt though!

Anybody with the DVD-A have issues with Track 4 "After the Rain Has Fallen"?
On my player, right before Sting enters with the vocal melody, the track switches to Track 5...

Anybody with the DVD-A have issues with Track 4 "After the Rain Has Fallen"?
On my player, right before Sting enters with the vocal melody, the track switches to Track 5...

Plays fine on my players (Oppo & Pio)...

And what's even more unusual is that it cuts off at the same spot in both Title 1 (the main surround playlist) and Title 2 (which breaks each track down with music markers)

One more thing to add for now is that I love how they added the full track "The End of the Game" at the end of this disc!
I enjoyed hearing this song so much the last time I heard Sting in concert, which was on the Symphonicties tour.
This song was one of the highlights with the orchestra going full at it, and this studio recording does not disappoint either, especially in surround.

Nice work, Mr Scheiner! :)

I have the DVD-A version. Fabulous mix by Elliot Scheiner. The material is solid but overall I prefer his previous 2 outings (Ten Summoners, Mercury Falling). The sound is very good if a tad bass heavy for my tastes. An 8.

Giving this another go after it was mentioned in an ES interview someone posted a link to in another thread. 2 was too harsh. I still don't like the bass, but I'm enjoying the music more, and aside from the bass the mix is very good - I don't know the stereo mix to compare though. Something in the sound still makes this hard for me to listen to though... I'm on my third track in a row and I'm getting listening fatigue :(

I have never been a huge Sting fan but the more I listen to him in surround the more I like him. This has outstanding sound. Very different. I like the music. Relaxing, easy to listen to.. A nine for me..

Excellent fidelity and stellar surround mix; content, not so much... (Sting solo was always too mature for my immature mind;)) I do kinda like the hits, though (Desert Rose; Brand New Day). 8. (probably a 10 if it's your favorite album!)

Back