DVD/DTS Poll Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS CD of Sting - TEN SUMMONER'S TALES

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

sting 10.jpg

Fair music and fair surround mix. A 7.

I was always a Sting fan and Ten Summoner's Tales is one of my favorites. I feel that the multi channel mix is what this recording needed. Once again you get that airy feel as if what you heard in stereo was always choked. Nothing stands out musically, it just sounds so much better. Very smooth and easy on the ears. :smokin

Frantic said:
I was always a Sting fan and Ten Summoner's Tales is one of my favorites. I feel that the multi channel mix is what this recording needed. Once again you get that airy feel as if what you heard in stereo was always choked. Nothing stands out musically, it just sounds so much better. Very smooth and easy on the ears. :smokin

Ten Summoner's Tales is easily Sting's most natural sounding and least forced recording. The DTS mix breathes depth into an an otherwise pedestrian stereo recording. Not the most adventurous mix but one that opens up ther room. Just recently purchased Nothing Like The Sun, another favorite - and while it is a bit more self important as far as the songs go, it also benefits from the extra dimension of the DTS mix. I would give TST a 9 and NLS an 8.

I really like this one.
It has to be one of the best he has made for a while now, and the quality of the release has made me want to go and get the others in multichannel too.
It's a shame there is no High Resolution version, but this DTS release is infinitely preferable to both Dolby Dirgital or over compressed red book.

Bring it on - and I really don't understand why DTS-CD has not been more popular.

One of these discs I had to have because surround material was so desperate to find at that time (2003). Ah well, for having a sting surround album is like having a ventilator in your room: the wind is artificial, but cooling nonetheless. I percieve Sting music (after 1980) as elevator music. So this disc, (like the Nothing Like the sun) is decorative surround for me...a ventilator, aaahh :smokin

OK Folks, I usually am not one to complain since I try to appreciate valiant efforts, but here goes my rant...

This David Tickle guy has no idea on how to do a Surround mix!!!:mad:

This mix is dead- like a limp member.
No presence, no NOTHING- It doesn't even open up the music!!! And that's a real impossibility when mixing in Surround, wow, this David person was probably smoking some bad stuff from Hawaii when he "mixed" this, and I use that term loosely...

Now I'm sure that good ole' Gordon M Sumner did not even listen to this awful mess or it wouldn't have reached the market, and if he did, BAD STING!!!

I can do a MUCH better Surround mix with one ear and with hands tied in the back.
Next to this , my Santana III SQ LP transfer sounds brilliant (it does , anyway)...

I AM FURIOUS!

My advice , I LOVE the music here but STEER CLEAR of this dts fiasco and if you want any Sting in 5.1, get "Brand new day" mixed by a REAL pro, Elliot Schneier...

So, ya think it kinda sux, huh? :D

What did you rate it? The rant suggests a '0,' yet the lowest rating to date is a '3.'?

ED :)

Naaahhh, I rated it a 4 cause I love this album ...I really wouldn't rate anything a 0...

And yeah , the "mix" sux big mammary!!!

I really don't know why it sounds so lame, I mean this Tickle guy; I'm sure he must be more than competent, but something went to hell in a handbasket here...I had SUCH high hopes...oh well, expectations, they'll screw you up every time....

Last edited:
I really like this one.
It has to be one of the best he has made for a while now, and the quality of the release has made me want to go and get the others in multichannel too.
It's a shame there is no High Resolution version, but this DTS release is infinitely preferable to both Dolby Dirgital or over compressed red book.

Bring it on - and I really don't understand why DTS-CD has not been more popular.

Totally agree - I picked this up from Amazon - I'm glad that I did!

By far and away the best version of this album is on DTS. String section sounds beautiful and the separation is awesome!!

Tasty stuff from the Sting Man. I was very fond of this album when it was first released and think it holds up quite well. Very solid and satisfying surround mix with an appealing clean and open sound (if a wee bit sterile). I give it a 9.

Hmmm. Not my favorite Sting album, but it was a very good one with a lot of hits.

But yeah, this is just a so-so surround mix. Some tracks are better than others (“Heavy Cloud No Rain” is good. Others might as well be upmixed for all they do for me).

and the fidelity is crap compared to the CD.

This must be a DTS-CD thing, right? While I’ve got a couple of DTS-CDs that sound great (Joshua Judges Ruth anyone?) most do not.

Can someone familiar with the technology explain DTS-CD to me?

What sort of compression are they using to get 53 minutes of 6 channels of music on a 800 mb disc anyway? My receiver tells me the signal is PCM sampled at 44.1 kHz like any other CD, but these must be compressed somehow, right?

I have a setting called “enhancer” on my receiver. It’s supposed to make low-res signals sound better. I usually only use it when listening to streaming audio. It actually helps on this disc a bit.

I’ll give it a low “6”. Too bad this was never released on a hi-res format. :(

Last edited:
I just popped this one after enjoying Boz Scaggs' masterpiece "Dig" and I was quite impressed...maybe it was my Pioneer receiver/JBL speakers setup in Madrid but this sounds MUCH better on my Marantz receiver/ Polk speakers now here in Denver...it sounded REALLY flat but it now sounds VERY sweet...went from a 5 vote to an 8... if only because Sting's voice is WAY louder than everything else..yes we all know his EGO is HUGE... oh well..we forgive you Gordie....you may be an icon but you are still human...

I just popped this one after enjoying Boz Scaggs' masterpiece "Dig" and I was quite impressed...maybe it was my Pioneer receiver/JBL speakers setup in Madrid but this sounds MUCH better on my Marantz receiver/ Polk speakers now here in Denver...it sounded REALLY flat but it now sounds VERY sweet...went from a 5 vote to an 8... if only because Sting's voice is WAY louder than everything else..yes we all know his EGO is HUGE... oh well..we forgive you Gordie....you may be an icon but you are still human...

Well, KAP, you're a mile higher than Madrid, your equipment IS better and this IS one of the better sounding DTS RBCDs. I voted a 9.

This is Sting’s warmest record – both in content and sound. He actually recorded this with the windows open and kids and birds in the yard outside. It’s a bit of a contrast to his earlier solo releases in that it was significantly less bright.

Hard to say the 5.1 mix doesn’t open this up based on “Seven Days” (one of the best songs on the record) – the pizzicato strings in the rears is great and Vinnie Calaiuta’s drums are all over the place.

There are a lot of really warm pads on the this that glue a lot of the tracks together. “It’s Probably Me” has some great crispness in the front channels with the rhythm and the vocals kind of float above and to the back with the echo in the rears. “Shape of My Heart” really creates a lot of space for Dominic Miller’s guitar and the strings.

I’m a fan of this. 8 or 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back