Stone Temple Pilots Prep ‘Tiny Music…Songs From the Vatican Gift Shop’ Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wasn't into them all that much. I checked out my CD collection which is ripped and only had 2 releases, Core and Self Titled. Surprised I didn't have Purple. I have tons of other grunge, just not much STP. I did recognize a few tracks off Tiny Music.
No. 4 is also worth checking out, IMO. The 5th album, not so much. S/T has some decent cuts, but fails to achieve classic status.

Does anyone else notice some massive volume differences between tracks on Tiny Music in atmos on Tidal? Particularly track 3. Way louder than the neighboring tracks. Major differences a couple other times on the album too.

Does anyone else notice some massive volume differences between tracks on Tiny Music in atmos on Tidal? Particularly track 3. Way louder than the neighboring tracks. Major differences a couple other times on the album too.

Yep. Mediainfo confirms the dialnorm for some tracks is way off. Have seen this on some other Tidal Atmos titles as well such as the recently release Dua Lipa "Future Nostalgia (The Moonlight Edition)". That one has, like, every other track with a whack dialnorm level.

I suspect this may be an encoding issue, would be interesting to know if the Apple Music files are the same as Tidal, ie both encoded by Dolby Labs. There's no way to get at the Apple files at the moment though to compare.

I'm not sure if Apple's use of Dolby MAT and features like 'Sound Check' handle radically different dialnorm values within an album or not. Those features are designed to mitigate the volume differences between stereo and Atmos tracks which we know has always been a big problem with Tidal tracks.

Last edited:
This is, indeed, the version I was trying. I wonder if there is some setting in my Apple TV thinger that is preventing Atmos recognition? Kinda weird that they don't label "spatial audio" albums as such. No logo, no symbol, no note.

There is an audio settings screen where Atmos playback can be turned on or off. If that doesn’t work, make sure you’re updated to the latest OS.

There is an audio settings screen where Atmos playback can be turned on or off. If that doesn’t work, make sure you’re updated to the latest OS.
Since I recently swapped the apple 4k device off my tv with a stereo soundbar, I've reset it, in case it believes it's still using a soundbar. I couldn't find apple music from my fire stick 4k lol.

Says Dolby Atmos and Lossless.
Can that possibly be true?
20210802_135814.jpg

Yes, in that if someone wants stereo playback it’s available in lossless quality while Atmos is not lossless. A bit unclear.
Ah, goodness. Makes sense. I don't even see playback options. Just plays in Atmos, for me. Oddly, my AVR doesn't say DD+ like I believe it did for Tidal.
Some kind of trickery at play here. Or I'm confused. Or both!

Ah, goodness. Makes sense. I don't even see playback options. Just plays in Atmos, for me. Oddly, my AVR doesn't say DD+ like I believe it did for Tidal.
Some kind of trickery at play here. Or I'm confused. Or both!
Does your AVR have an option to change the display?? Or display info??

For playback you can change your Apple TV settings to not play back in Atmos. That's the only way to toggle back and forth at this point.

Back