TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far....
The Olympics opening ceremonies are very austere looking, and in a sports drink commercial sort of way ๐Ÿ˜‘ ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ ๐Ÿ˜ด
So far... not as good as it could be. Better than Chinese Olympics a while back. I meant to get up about 6 am my time to watch on NHK. Zzzzz.. didn't work.

Ted Lasso season 2 starts on Apple TV next week (July 23rd) and I couldn't be more excited. The first season was probably the best series I've watched in the last few years, certainly the best since Community and The Office ended.

When I saw the trailer for the first season last year, I was kind of underwhelmed, I thought "oh ok, it's like a soccer version of the movie Major League" but the trailer doesn't do it justice at all - I guess you'd call it a comedy, but it's so much more than just funny, it's incredibly well written, the characters are all well-developed and the story is superb - heartwarming and uplifting, but without being saccharine and cloying. At this stage of my life I'm the kind of person who's mostly dead inside, but I found myself getting emotional (in a positive way) at some point or another (and for different reasons) during almost every episode. And as someone who lived in the UK for quite a while, a lot of the "fish out of water" element really resonated with me, not to mention having lived on both sides of the Atlantic (and with in-laws in the US) that the portrayals of all the characters are, to use a British expression, "spot on". This isn't some crappy American production making stupid "ha ha British people drink tea and have bad teeth" jokes, nor is it a British production doing the same about Americans. I know the show is run by Bill Lawrence (who was behind Scrubs some years back) and I don't know what his history with the UK is but between him and his writers there's a clear knowledge and deep understanding of both British and American culture. And while it is a show about a soccer team (and it doesn't hurt if you know the game, or anything about British "football") the themes are universal enough that you don't have to know the sport to enjoy it.

Like I said, the trailers don't really do it justice, but this is the trailer for Season 2. If you haven't tried season 1 and you're looking for something to watch, give it a go - I've seen more than one reviewer say that if you give the first episode a chance, you'll know by the end if it's for you or not.

Well Dave, I just saw a commercial about Ted Lasso (Olympics show) I'll be sure to catch some when I pull the trigger on an Apple 4K TV.

I like quirky stuff and this one on Amazon Prime (you Canadians get that?) was pretty darn quirky; you might like it :unsure:

PATRIOT.jpg

Enjoying the Tokyo Olympics this year- but!

NBC is wallowing in their greed, right in our faces. During the middle of many competitions (even for Medals) they're splitting the screen with a larger screen on the right side showing commercials with audio; destroying any continuity for that event.
This is extremely disrespectful of the athletes, their families, friends and the viewer's time for an overall Olympic experience.

This is definitely, NOT COOL!

Stream this Peacock ๐Ÿ–•
:mad:

Enjoying the Tokyo Olympics this year- but!

NBC is wallowing in their greed, right in our faces. During the middle of many competitions (even for Medals) they're splitting the screen with a larger screen on the right side showing commercials with audio; destroying any continuity for that event.
This is extremely disrespectful of the athletes, their families, friends and the viewer's time for an overall Olympic experience.

This is definitely, NOT COOL!

Stream this Peacock ๐Ÿ–•
:mad:
Is this being done by a local NBC affiliate in your area? I haven't noticed that so far around here.

Is this being done by a local NBC affiliate in your area? I haven't noticed that so far around here.
Yes, but pretty sure it would be National level advertising. And not every event has it, so you might just have dodged some depending on the events you watch. Events I remember distinctly are Skateboarding, Men's Volleyball and Men's 800 meter freestyle in swimming (pretty sure there have been others also.)

Watching Olympic golf coverage on Xfinity in 4K HD. Very very nice. The golf is mostly boring (no spectators, stroke play) but the presentation is sublime.

Just for fun, I connected the HDMI out from my PC to an HDMI > [NTSC]baseband video/audio converter > VHS.

I sometimes start a program on HBOmax on my PC after I'm done for the day and record it to VHS (I don't have any test signals, but it seems to me that the surround sound is converted to Dolby Surround [played back from the Hi-Fi tracks thru a DPL decoder]).

Long Live VHS.

Kirk Bayne
This sounds intriguing. Can you explain how this works or direct me to a link with step-by-step instructions?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Rca-DHCOMF-C...ocphy=9023178&hvtargid=pla-474705470347&psc=1

My setup:
HP PC w/Windows 10 and w/HDMI video output and w/mini stereo headphone jack audio output
The above RCA converter
A (Panasonic) VHS HiFi VCR

Connections:
PC HDMI > RCA > VHS (video in) and PC audio > VHS (stereo audio in)

(I'm a little surprised this works, I haven't investigated exactly why, perhaps the HDMI output detects that it needs to conform to the PC video signal to the NTSC color video format)

Kirk Bayne

https://www.amazon.com/Rca-DHCOMF-C...ocphy=9023178&hvtargid=pla-474705470347&psc=1

My setup:
HP PC w/Windows 10 and w/HDMI video output and w/mini stereo headphone jack audio output
The above RCA converter
A (Panasonic) VHS HiFi VCR

Connections:
PC HDMI > RCA > VHS (video in) and PC audio > VHS (stereo audio in)

(I'm a little surprised this works, I haven't investigated exactly why, perhaps the HDMI output detects that it needs to conform to the PC video signal to the NTSC color video format)

Kirk Bayne
Thanks for the information. I bought a similar HDMI-to-analog converter (so-called) but it didn't do anything that I could see. I'll give it another shot at some point.

Positive effect of your post was to get me to dust off my VCR and see if it still played tapes. It did, though there are more squeaks when it loads a tape than I remember.

DUNE
*HBOMAX

The Critical Drinker seems to like this one (no association with the comments of this video for me BTW, just found it a good refresher and interesting!) LMAO

Last edited:
Back