Strictly Headphone - Exclusive RA360 Spatial Streams (Amazon)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~dave~~wave~

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm not here for a debate about whether headphone spatial is hype, B.S. etc.
Take that nonsense elsewhere.

I am here to testify.
My earbud epiphany came when pedaling my bicycle listening to my Amazon Music Santana playlist.

Unbeknownst to me, the spatial-encoded titles auto-populated without me realizing.
Listening at home on my iMac, they remain stereo.
But on a mobile device, the spatial encoding is there.

[Edit: for clarity]
In my experience, Amazon Music Unlimited does not show or play 360RA on a desktop computer.
The app is looking for a mobile device with headphones or bluetooth.

[See post #62]

When I heard 360 guitar pans swirling around my head from Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen, it literally stopped me in my tracks.
Staring down at my iPhone in wonder, I saw the 360 REALITY AUDIO icon for the first time.
Believe it or not.

Kindly help out the elderly tech-challenged with your comments and suggestions.
I will try to put up links to Amazon spatial titles, but they do one no good without signing in to your own Amazon Music account.
Which is not free.

I will concurrently list in text form, and we'll see how it goes.

:phones (Official QQphones emoji, why did Jon Urban put that in? ;))

Last edited:
Borboletta ~ Santana

https://music.amazon.com/albums/B00138GZYI?trackAsin=B00138A0YO&ref=dm_sh_8546-5f8e-9570-dd94-4fcce
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 12.51.50 PM.png

I'm not here for a debate about whether headphone spatial is hype, B.S. etc.
Take that nonsense elsewhere.

I am here to testify.
My earbud epiphany came when pedaling my bicycle listening to my Amazon Music Santana playlist.

Unbeknownst to me, the spatial-encoded titles auto-populated without me realizing.
Listening at home on my iMac, they remain stereo.
But on a mobile device, the spatial encoding is there.

When I heard 360 guitar pans swirling around my head from Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen, it literally stopped me in my tracks.
Staring down at my iPhone in wonder, I saw the 360 REALITY AUDIO icon for the first time.
Believe it or not.

Kindly help out the elderly tech-challenged with your comments and suggestions.
I will try to put up links to Amazon spatial titles, but they do one no good without signing in to your own Amazon Music account.
Which is not free.

I will concurrently list in text form, and we'll see how it goes.

:phones (Official QQphones emoji, why did Jon Urban put that in? ;))
I do believe there's a lot of misinformation swirling around about 360RA; I'd like to know:

One- do you need special headphones for best results?
and
Two- Is there an actual Front of face focused (i.e. Center channel type sound) that is heard with these?

and Yes, I've been considering Amazon Unlimited to try out :unsure:

I do believe there's a lot of misinformation swirling around about 360RA; I'd like to know:

One- do you need special headphones for best results?
and
Two- Is there an actual Front of face focused (i.e. Center channel type sound) that is heard with these?

and Yes, I've been considering Amazon Unlimited to try out :unsure:

I'm so happy you walked right into my trap. :devilish:

One- A Definite Resounding NO!

Two- a little more complicated.
I'll be happy to respond in detail, but let me first ask you a question.
Do you use headphones, or have you ever enjoyed good stereo music on headphones?

happy to be trapped Dave :QQlove

and, yes of course, have been using headphones since the 70's

What do you expect to hear from a "spatial surround" headphone mix?

Obviously, the Dolby Atmos mixes are not optimized for surround audio.
If they were, a 5.1 layout would have speakers placed around the room in a perfect circle space 72 degrees of arc apart.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 3.47.08 PM copy.png

But, if you're willing to settle for the narrow front, side surround perspective forced on us in lieu of proper quadrophonic sound, you may find it to your liking.

I definitely perceive an extra spatial dimension.
But just like the best results on a Surround Master come from wide stereo material, the best results for me are often from discrete quads.

What do you hear in the center channel of stereo headphones?
360 is not going to put that center channel in a virtual space 10 feet in front of your nose.

What I hear is a sound field with the center channel still between my ears, but maybe elevated to the top of my forehead.
FL + FR are spread, but perceived as narrower and forward in contrast to the rears.
LR + RR are not in virtual 45 degree corners behind me, but extremely wide and slightly over my shoulder.

So a "circular" pan is more oval and somewhat triangular, wider in the virtual rear sound field than the fronts.
Much like a narrow-front, side-surround home theater layout. ;)

Hope that answers your question.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 3.47.08 PM.png

Back