Stubborn Frequency Removal

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebj00la

QQ Supporter
I'm looking to get some criticism on the following modification I just made to a 5.1 track, one of my favorite recordings of all time. Whenever I played this song, I noticed annoying high pitched sounds from various speakers. When I loaded the various channels into Audacity using Spectrogram view, it was obvious the two frequencies that were annoying me were one just under 8400Hz, and another just over 15,600Hz. I tried noise reduction filters, but they just ruined the song. I was left with the only other tool I knew to use, "spectral delete". The result was fantastic.

What do you typically do in these types of situations? Picture of the Spectrogram view of a specific channel for reference.

The song: Mariza (Accompanied by the Lisbon Symphony Orchestra) - Ó Gente da Minha Terra

Thanks in advance,
nebj00la

Attachments

• spectrogram.png
    spectrogram.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 6
I'm looking to get some criticism on the following modification I just made to a 5.1 track, one of my favorite recordings of all time. Whenever I played this song, I noticed annoying high pitched sounds from various speakers. When I loaded the various channels into Audacity using Spectrogram view, it was obvious the two frequencies that were annoying me were one just under 8400Hz, and another just over 15,600Hz. I tried noise reduction filters, but they just ruined the song. I was left with the only other tool I knew to use, "spectral delete". The result was fantastic.

What do you typically do in these types of situations? Picture of the Spectrogram view of a specific channel for reference.

The song: Mariza (Accompanied by the Lisbon Symphony Orchestra) - Ó Gente da Minha Terra

Thanks in advance,
nebj00la
Good info nebj00la, I haven't done that kind of work yet, I'm assuming the techniques were from this part of Audacity-

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/spectral_selection.html
Happy to learn new stuff though; but it makes me believe you're a youngster with great hearing that can actually hear this stuff in the first place? :)

What was the source of this music BTW?

Will be waiting for more info or responses from others on this!

Good info nebj00la, I haven't done that kind of work yet, I'm assuming the techniques were from this part of Audacity-

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/spectral_selection.html
Happy to learn new stuff though; but it makes me believe you're a youngster with great hearing that can actually hear this stuff in the first place? :)

What was the source of this music BTW?

Will be waiting for more info or responses from others on this!
I'm 42 years old, so I'm not hearing the 15,600Hz quite as good as the 8,400Hz with the music playing. Yes, I looked through the Audacity manual to figure out how to work with the spectral delete feature. It takes a lot of patience and precision, as you can very easily remove something that is coming from a guitar, etc.

The source of the music is a DVD that I purchased quite a few years ago. I've seen Mariza in concert, and even had the chance to listen to her sing in a "Fado house" in Lisbon this past year. Her vocals combined with the amazing talent of Luis Guerreiro on the Portuguese guitar are something that I just can't explain with words. There's a word in Portuguese, "saudade". There is no great translation to English, as it's more of a feeling than something words can describe.

Here's the Discogs release page:
https://www.discogs.com/master/8267...-And-Sinfonietta-De-Lisboa-Concerto-Em-Lisboa

Back