Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STEREOTOMY
Yowwwza - decodes great - The Alan Parsons Project (waiting for surround mix!)

View attachment 46712
I have yet to check this out on my SM. I have put it off as being Ambisonic UHJ & that is just such unusual encode I didn't have high expectations. I know, I know Chucky sez everything sounds great on the Surround Master. Maybe he's right. Maybe I'll give it a listen after Bluesy Burrell (again) tonight.

I have yet to check this out on my SM. I have put it off as being Ambisonic UHJ & that is just such unusual encode I didn't have high expectations. I know, I know Chucky sez everything sounds great on the Surround Master. Maybe he's right. Maybe I'll give it a listen after Bluesy Burrell (again) tonight.

True lies

McArthur Park by Richard Harris on the internet radio - sounds very discrete.
Funny, I just listened to that song a couple of days ago...a restoration on an Eric Records CD. One, if not the first, long singles released followed by Hey Jude. Radical for a single at that time. It helped that MP was actually like three songs melded together. And yes the SM did a nice job with it.

Funny, I just listened to that song a couple of days ago...a restoration on an Eric Records CD. One, if not the first, long singles released followed by Hey Jude. Radical for a single at that time. It helped that MP was actually like three songs melded together. And yes the SM did a nice job with it.
when that song was released, I was three years old, and for some reason I loved it. Might have been something to do with cake. .....

STEREOTOMY
Yowwwza - decodes great - The Alan Parsons Project (waiting for surround mix!)

View attachment 46712

Played this last night through thje SM v2 for the first time. Holy crap this is the best I have ever heard this CD. And I have played this many times in the past on my Integrex Ambisonic decoder. I have played this in DPL II which definitely disappointing but I never tried it on a QS decoder. As far away the UHJ encoding is from QS I would never suspected it could sound this great. This is a big full sound with sound FX coming from very distinct & definete points. The bass is revealed as being more percussive & deep than I've ever heard it. I used zero pre-synth just straight Involve QS & with a center front speak. This might be the best I've heard yet in so many ways with the Surround Master.

Played this last night through thje SM v2 for the first time. Holy crap this is the best I have ever heard this CD. And I have played this many times in the past on my Integrex Ambisonic decoder. I have played this in DPL II which definitely disappointing but I never tried it on a QS decoder. As far away the UHJ encoding is from QS I would never suspected it could sound this great. This is a big full sound with sound FX coming from very distinct & definete points. The bass is revealed as being more percussive & deep than I've ever heard it. I used zero pre-synth just straight Involve QS & with a center front speak. This might be the best I've heard yet in so many ways with the Surround Master.
Never doubt @chucky3042 :cool:

This is what's on Mark Anderson's site from the Ambisonic UHJ releases (I need to go over this with a fine toothed comb over!)

The Alan Parsons Project - Stereotomy, Track 5-"In the real world" is not UHJ encoded. Arista 259 050 (England) ARCD-8384 (U.S.) AL9-8384 (U.S. LP), VPKI 7529 (Australia MC) ('85)

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/uhjdisc/uhjhtm.htm

Herb Alpert - Definitive Hits
herb alpert definitive hits 1.jpg
herb alpert definitive hits 2.jpg

Assuming that the Herb Alpert disc was not intended to be surround, know that most of the Herb Alpert record albums were made using the Haeco CSG (Compatible Stereo Generator) years before there was any quad. They produce sounds located in the SQ back speakers and in the BMX front and back that ordinary stereo records do not make.

UHJ is actually not very far from QS in actual encoding relationships. It should play with slightly reduced front to back separation on QS. This is easy to understand using the Poincare sphere.

The phase relations for positions on the sphere are:
Green - in phase (QS front)
Violet - 180 degrees out of phase (QS back)
Cyan (far side of sphere) - Left channel only (QS left)
Red (near side of sphere) - Right channel only (QS right)
Black - Left leads right 90 degrees (SQ left back)
Brown - Right leads left 90 degrees (SQ right back)

qsp-ps.gif

The following show a sound panned around the room clockwise starting at the front:
QS uses the great circle for the equator green-red-violet-cyan-green
BMX uses the great circle for the meridian black-cyan-brown-red-black
H uses the 45 degree tilted great circle tan-red-blue-cyan-tan
J uses the 22.5 degree tilted great circle using:
- a point halfway between green and tan
- red
- a point halfway between violet and blue
- cyan
UHJ is not a great circle, but a smaller circle, using:
- a point between red and pink closer to red
- a point halfway between brown and blue
- a point between cyan and pink closer to cyan

Assuming that the Herb Alpert disc was not intended to be surround, know that most of the Herb Alpert record albums were made using the Haeco CSG (Compatible Stereo Generator) years before there was any quad. They produce sounds located in the SQ back speakers and in the BMX front and back that ordinary stereo records do not make.

UHJ is actually not very far from QS in actual encoding relationships. It should play with slightly reduced front to back separation on QS. This is easy to understand using the Poincare sphere.

The phase relations for positions on the sphere are:
Green - in phase (QS front)
Violet - 180 degrees out of phase (QS back)
Cyan (far side of sphere) - Left channel only (QS left)
Red (near side of sphere) - Right channel only (QS right)
Black - Left leads right 90 degrees (SQ left back)
Brown - Right leads left 90 degrees (SQ right back)

View attachment 46851

The following show a sound panned around the room clockwise starting at the front:
QS uses the great circle for the equator green-red-violet-cyan-green
BMX uses the great circle for the meridian black-cyan-brown-red-black
H uses the 45 degree tilted great circle tan-red-blue-cyan-tan
J uses the 22.5 degree tilted great circle using:
- red
- a point halfway between violet and blue
- cyan
I'm always amazed at how deep the knowledge base goes on this forum!

I don't have a SM, but for God sakes.....somebody run Styx - Equinox though it. Heck in stereo, there is a LOT of movement. I have a great vinyl rip....just saying.
I'll give it a go when I get back from my USA trip at the end of next week - I love Equinox! my first introduction to Styx played on Nicky Horne's Capital Radio show "Your Mother Wouldn't Like It" - which was very true she didn't once I'd bought the LP :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: GOS

Most all of the UHJ system can be very confusing esp when you throw in the B Format "interface". I have read all of the NRDC booklets, AES white papers & numerous comsumer articles about this. After all these years it never really clicked with me until this description. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back