Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTW, Pupsta, you haven't lived until you've experienced LOS LOBOS LIVE from San Diego's House of Blues:

81nGul5pdJL._SL1131_.jpg

If any of you lucky SM owners have access to the new RPWL Album Tales From Outer Space would be interested to learn how it sounds through the SM as it’s pretty good via the Marantz SR7012 multi channel stereo!!

Hi. olgitnorm

I have downloaded one off the songs from YouTube Tales From Outer Space & gave it a listen with the SM V2. it gave the peace a expanded sound field in the synth mode and some movement in the back speakers unusual rock synthy sound group...

( )

Last edited:
Nah, Pupster.......now this is what I call living the HIGH LIFE

Steve Winwood - Back in the High Life - MFSL Gold
discogs

Always loved this album, but the SMv2 lifted it to a whole new level. It was like hearing the album for the first time. I believe this illustrates some of the power of a magical piece of gear like this; drawing you more into the music and allowing you to discover new elements that hadn't revealed themselves to you before. On some of the songs I felt I was sitting right in the drum kit; as the Surround Master seemed to really gravitate to that aspect of the music, especially in the rear channels. It opened up the song- My Love's Leavin' remarkably well, a song I had paid little attention to before, but see it in a new light now. Of course there were many moments of discreteness of synths & horns and other instrumentation in the mix that I believe can be attributed not only to the producers and engineers, but the fine work by Mobile Fidelity with this title. It just left me sitting there... smiling.

discogs

Always loved this album, but the SMv2 lifted it to a whole new level. It was like hearing the album for the first time. I believe this illustrates some of the power of a magical piece of gear like this; drawing you more into the music and allowing you to discover new elements that hadn't revealed themselves to you before. On some of the songs I felt I was sitting right in the drum kit; as the Surround Master seemed to really gravitate to that aspect of the music, especially in the rear channels. It opened up the song- My Love's Leavin' remarkably well, a song I had paid little attention to before, but see it in a new light now. Of course there were many moments of discreteness of synths & horns and other instrumentation in the mix that I believe can be attributed not only to the producers and engineers, but the fine work by Mobile Fidelity with this title. It just left me sitting there... smiling.

View attachment 41284

Oh man I bet it does sound good. Regretably I don't have this album so I will look for it on HD Tracks. However I am in my Summer Music listening groove & that includes a lot of Traffic. And Curved Air, Zep, Hendrix,. All are stereo that I have & the SM really brings it to life. Of course others discovered that years ago with the first version SM!

discogs

View attachment 41284
Oh , man, I had that on CD when it came out but it was one of the few that "disappeared"...This is the kind of 80's recording and mastering I'd love to get on LP, those LPs sounded GREAT.. aamof I'll probably get it on vinyl (UK pressing)...

Hi. All

I`m pleased to see that you lot how Have got the new SM V2. are enjoying the Surround sound you are experiencing.
Someone said there`s no difference to the first V1. unit but I have to say I think there is a difference for 3 reasons.

1. I have the origanal SM that has not been converted to the LP vinyl codeing for SQ.
2. The analog circuitry has a better lay out & circuitry components.
3. The ability to ballance the levels out put.

I have been listening to my regular SQ & QS music I now very well, and I do here something differant through the V2.

At the moment I am playing a CD I haven`t listened to for some time it`s called Kitaro 'Tenku' electronic music similar to Tomita of Japan.
and through the Synth mode of the V2. it really comes to live IN Surround .

Last edited:
I just posted this in another thread but IMO, these two Eddie Jobson albums [on BD~A Stereo 96/24] would be truly stellar decoded by the SURROUND MASTER .....

I don't know if there's any interest but I just pre~ordered this 2 RBCD/BD~A 96/24 Stereo set from Deep Discount. IMO, the BD~A should've been remixed for SURROUND as IMO, they're two of Eddie's finest creations but I'm sure they would decode well for those owning a Surround Master ... or equivalent.

41wFThDk0SL.jpg

EDDIE JOBSON: Theme of Secrets [Private Music Label]; Zinc: The Green Album[Capitol Records]https://www.deepdiscount.com/green-album-theme-of-secrets-2cd-blu-ray-audio-7pg-booklet/807070919023 [BTW, 15% off until July 1st with code OCEAN]

Last edited:
That's what Bitch and I both sensed, it's just that bit clearer. But we are very biased!!

Hi. All

I`m pleased to see that you lot how Have got the new SM V2. are enjoying the Surround sound you are experiencing.
Someone said there no differaece to the first V1. unit but I have to say I think there is a difference for 3 reasons.

1. I have the origanal SM that has not been converted to the LP vinyl codeing for SQ.
2. The analog circuitry has a better lay out & circuitry components.
3. The ability to ballance the levels out put.

I have been listening to my regular SQ & QS music I now very well, and I do here something differant through the V2.

At the moment I am playing a CD I haven`t listened to for some time it`s called Kitaro 'Tenku' electronic music similar to Tomita of Japan.
and through the Synth mode of the V2. it really come a live IN Surround .

View attachment 41310

Last edited:
through the Synth mode of the V2

What do you mean by Synth mode? In the sense that Sansui used it there is no synth mode on the SMv2, unless you want to consider TSS. Otherwise it is limited to Involve (QS) or SQ either one in 4.1 or 5.1.

Very familiar with Kitaro but not that particular CD. I bet it's a good choice!

That's what Bitch and I both sensed, it's just that but clearer. But we are very biased!!
I have a psychoacoustics question for you Charles. I’ve noticed having listened to maybe 20 or so CDs now played through the Surround Master in 4.0 involve mode, that it seems the further into an album/listening session the more I seem to pick up on the dynamic separation and discreetness of the presentation. After considering, that -“ no it’s not the SM learning to adjust more favorably to the album being played”, that it must be me. I am not listening in any sort of gradual chemically induced state of mind either. No alcohol or drugs are involved ;). My question to you is, do you know of, or are you aware of any studies about this?
I’m considering playing a couple of well known to me songs first during my listening time, and then playing the new album music, to see if I’m more subsequently “engaged” with all the songs.

Really good question J. Pupster!

Its a really mixed one. Woofers are a bit like that, but in reverse. When you first walk into a room you can tell exactly where it is, then after a minute your brain integrates the woofer sound into the whole and clouds its position to match the expectation. Problem with that is your brain has to do work and the tendency will be that the listening will be tiring and not totally relaxing. I know that with Bitch and I when we listen to a conventional surround system we both get headaches really fast and leave - this is because we are adapted to electrostatic speakers for years and are very sensitive to any distortion. Distortion and image blur make the brain have to work in decoding the sound - result headaches.

In your instance its harder to be sure but I suspect its a few things at play

1 As its all nicely separated and not smeared your brain can relax and so you start to focus on detail you may have previously missed because your brain was working overtime.
2 You brain is learning the music detail in time and so more detail emerges.

Its all a good sign that the SM is not smearing, farting and gurgling and your head is relaxed.

I insist you buy a good set of electrostatic speakers!

Strangely before I did separate electrical and electronic engineering degrees, I did a year of psychology. It all came together!

Really good question J. Pupster!

Its a really mixed one. Woofers are a bit like that, but in reverse. When you first walk into a room you can tell exactly where it is, then after a minute your brain integrates the woofer sound into the whole and clouds its position to match the expectation. Problem with that is your brain has to do work and the tendency will be that the listening will be tiring and not totally relaxing. I know that with Bitch and I when we listen to a conventional surround system we both get headaches really fast and leave - this is because we are adapted to electrostatic speakers for years and are very sensitive to any distortion. Distortion and image blur make the brain have to work in decoding the sound - result headaches.

In your instance its harder to be sure but I suspect its a few things at play

1 As its all nicely separated and not smeared your brain can relax and so you start to focus on detail you may have previously missed because your brain was working overtime.
2 You brain is learning the music detail in time and so more detail emerges.

Its all a good sign that the SM is not smearing, farting and gurgling and your head is relaxed.

Strangely before I did separate electrical and electronic engineering degrees, I did a year of psychology. It all came together!

I'm going to venture slightly off course here, but in the spirit that all of this is interconnected with various levels of aural performance, value and consequences.

I totally get where you're coming from on the speaker issue. My current speakers for my main listening area are not electrostatic; but are made by a company that makes them. For years I was all set to buy Paradigm speakers, until I heard the Martin Logan Motion 35XT. After auditioning the Paradigms extensively I realized they were sounding a little too bright for me. The folded tweeter design by the Martin Logan's seemed to be very smooth, natural sounding, along with overall good spatial imaging, so that's what I ended up with. It has gotten very difficult (unless you're in a large metro. area) to be able to audition many different types of speakers. I'm in the camp, that speakers, are the most important piece to your overall system. I can see a trip in my future to a Magnolia, where they have the large Martin Logan electrostatics to give them a serious listen to. I never really gave electrostatics much consideration, probably because: 1- they are typically large; 2- they are very alien looking; and 3- I don't understand how they work. I'm sure the members here, and audiophiles everywhere have very strong opinions one way or another on various speaker designs. How do you know you're going to like something if you haven't experienced it? I'm also aware your electrostatics are smaller, which is a very appealing feature.

I won't say what speakers I'm currently listening to on my "dedicated" 4.0 Surround Master system, as I already know they are in need of a serious upgrade. All in good time, and that will be addressed!

One more thing to leave you with today; don't know why I thought this - but:
Même si l'homme ne vit pas, par pain seul; ne signifie pas qu'il ne devrait pas l'avoir tous les jours si c'est ce qui le rend heureux.
Something to do with your relative location to South Vietnam, business climate and manufacturing???
* Yeah I know, my brain is a mystery to me also!

One more thing to leave you with today; don't know why I thought this - but:
Même si l'homme ne vit pas, par pain seul; ne signifie pas qu'il ne devrait pas l'avoir tous les jours si c'est ce qui le rend heureux.
Unfortunately I have to eat the gluten free stuff these days - and that doesn't make me happy at all!!

What do you mean by Synth mode? In the sense that Sansui used it there is no synth mode on the SMv2, unless you want to consider TSS. Otherwise it is limited to Involve (QS) or SQ either one in 4.1 or 5.1.

Very familiar with Kitaro but not that particular CD. I bet it's a good choice!

Hi. Sonik Wiz

May be my terminology is not what other call it, they call it the" Involve mode" which is the same mode that decodes QS material.
In my opinion it does very much the same as the Sansui synth modes with any stereo material.

I can see a trip in my future to a Magnolia, where they have the large Martin Logan electrostatics to give them a serious listen to. I never really gave electrostatics much consideration, probably because: 1- they are typically large; 2- they are very alien looking; and 3- I don't understand how they work. I'm sure the members here, and audiophiles everywhere have very strong opinions one way or another on various speaker designs. How do you know you're going to like something if you haven't experienced it? I'm also aware your electrostatics are smaller, which is a very appealing feature.

This is supposed to be a thread about Surround Master, but you two brought up the electrostatic speaker topic. I heard big Martin Logan electrostatics about 12 years ago and really liked the sound. I listened to them extensively as they were the speakers connected to a system where I was auditioning various SACD players. The highs from the ML speakers were extremely sweet.

But the one thing that bothered me about the electrostatic ML's was the lack of high frequency dispersion. Get off axis a bit and the balance between the highs and the rest of the frequencies changed dramatically...way more than any speaker with conventional dome tweeters. I wonder if the Involve electrostatics address this issue?

Back