Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two Rich Mountain Tower albums are now on Tidal. I compared what they're streaming vs. my vinyl through the Surround Master and it's pretty clear that the Tidal version of the first album retains the encoding. Listen for the harmonica to dominate in the right rear...

Pretty sure the second album was never a quad.
Do you know what company released the second album? I have the first one, on Ovation. It's clearly marked as quad. I believe it's EV, but it sounds great.

I can see that!
I was never a huge Tom Jones fan; but saw him on TV recently with a small concert he did with Alison Krauss (of all folks) and I was very impressed, he had a really great rockin' band backing him up.

I always liked him, but this is what made me realize that he's genuinely just plain *good*:

I always liked him, but this is what made me realize that he's genuinely just plain *good*:

Yeah, great singing and Jeff's playing as smooth as ever; (search Youtube he's done a ton of collaborations)- here's another one with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young:

and another good one (also noticed one of my fav. Southern Funk keyboard players on this session- Jon Cleary):

Last edited:
If you like Hawkwind then try Krankschaft - "III: Mysteries". In Involve 4.0 mode its immersive then suddenly things bounce around, often very discrete in the rears (quite a lot of multi-tracking and effects help).

I don't think they gave up completely on quad. They stopped labeling albums as quadraphonic, but some of them refer to "Sector 4" on the back cover. Those albums still are QS.

Well, that's interesting! Looking at the Discogs entry for the second Ovation album, I can see that it clearly says "Sector 4" on the back. Thank you!

And now another Rich Mountain Tower album is showing up on Beaux Geste Records in Discogs. I don't remember ever seeing that before.

Well, that's interesting! Looking at the Discogs entry for the second Ovation album, I can see that it clearly says "Sector 4" on the back. Thank you!

LIstening to Qobuz's 96kHz stream of this album through the Surround Master right now and, at least as of the first track, next to nothing is going into the rears.

LIstening to Qobuz's 96kHz stream of this album through the Surround Master right now and, at least as of the first track, next to nothing is going into the rears.

Which setting do you use? The 4.0 or 5.1? This makes a world of difference. Results will also vary from song to song.

Double check your connections, also try swapping left/ right inputs and see if the imbalance swaps sides

I meant that it sounds like the source was an analog record with the spindle hole audibly not in the center. The actual channel balance is fine, if largely in front. Other than the song that's curiously repeated from the first album, I don't think this one is quad.

Yes indeed I totally agree. Be sure & give Dolby's Aliens Ate My Buick a spin for even more bounceaphonic sound. Ohbabyohbabyohbaby!
AAMB is a sonic feast!!! Awesome songs in a very high quality recording/mix...make sure you listen to the LP version, the CD pales in comparison (BUT it has the edit for "May the cube be with you")

Back