Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try the live Midnight Oil - "Oils on the Water" concert. Its probably the best live concert I have seen!!
Great band. My cousins took my late Uncle who was well into his 70s at the time to see Midnight Oil (probably in Melbourne as he lived on Philip Island), and he loved the gig, but said it was very hot & sweaty!

Here you go, follow these tracks on Youtube.....Oils on the water. Shot on Goat Island in the middle of Sydney Harbour. The coolest gig since the Beatles did the rooftop concert!

My favorite track....................
Its about the boxing troupe that once toured country towns in Australia. The track starts slow and moody but builds to great intensity.

Also note how the concert transitions slowly from day to night, quite visually stunning.
Whats 7 feet tall, bald and a nuclear deterrent......Peter Garret
I am so unworthy of Rob Hurst on Drums!

Last edited:
Just noticed this thread. Sorry for my ignorance. What is Surround Master ? Is it a media softwear conversion ?? Hardware ??

Just noticed this thread. Sorry for my ignorance. What is Surround Master ? Is it a media softwear conversion ?? Hardware ??
The Surround Master by Involve is a tri-band QS/SQ decoder that also does a credible job on stereo to surround. It is hardware. It is analog in, analog out. Poke around a bit there's so much info to read it'll make your eyes bleed.

Oh, & worth every Penney you spend on it.

The Surround Master by Involve is a tri-band QS/SQ decoder that also does a credible job on stereo to surround. It is hardware. It is analog in, analog out. Poke around a bit there's so much info to read it'll make your eyes bleed.

Oh, & worth every Penney you spend on it.

Thanks for the explanation & feedback. Only briefly looked, there does seem to be quite a lot of info, so i'll take my time & hopefully decided to buy one ?

Here you go, follow these tracks on Youtube.....Oils on the water. Shot on Goat Island in the middle of Sydney Harbour. The coolest gig since the Beatles did the rooftop concert!
The first gig I did with Midnight Oil (and first I'd heard of them) was either late '77 or early '78 at the Manly Vale Hotel. There were more band/crew members than paying punters. I remember that I harassed Garrett over the low crowd numbers and he came back with, "I thought you guys were bringing the crowd?" But not much later, it was a very different story

Listening to the new Wobbler cd Dwellers of the Deep in Involve 5.1. Most excellent! Very cool prog album.
My copy has turned up I'll have to get round to giving it the Involve SM2 treatment (though I'm more likely to do 4.0), Wobbler are a great Norwegian Prog Rock band, I have the other albums as well!

My copy has turned up I'll have to get round to giving it the Involve SM2 treatment (though I'm more likely to do 4.0), Wobbler are a great Norwegian Prog Rock band, I have the other albums as well!
They certainly are outstanding. I really liked their last two albums before Dwellers. I am really impressed at how well the instruments and vocals were dispersed in my 5.1 set up through the Involve Surround Master2.

Supertramp - crime of the century. If you think this sounds great through the surround master. ..... You're "bloody well right" ! 🙂
IMG_20210116_174724.jpg
IMG_20210116_174711.jpg
IMG_20210116_174711.jpg

Telarc label: John Williams- Terminator track. Great rear isolation of individual transients. I will have to admit that I've owned this for over a year and finally have it wired up correctly. I now have all 7 signal sources run through the SMv2 unit including the Turntable. I had to go out and get a ProJect outboard phono preamp to run the turntable through before it went to the 8 in, 1 out switch box, then on to the SM box.

It's worth every penny. Thanks Chucky.

Last edited:
I'm so conflicted about listening to anything from Midnight Oil now. Lead singer Peter Garrett moved in politics and completely botched it including overseeing some really dangerous public spend initiatives. So sad . . . I bought all the vinyl on first release, went to their live shows and now I can barely listen to Peter Garret's voice. Angst. :-(

As much as I love Boz's stuff (earlier albums for me); never was a big fan of Silk Degrees but would love an actual studio surround mix for this with an engineer that gets it.
So given that it looks like you paid uh, dot nothing for this copy LOL, how would you actually rate the decode on this?

As much as I love Boz's stuff (earlier albums for me); never was a big fan of Silk Degrees but would love an actual studio surround mix for this with an engineer that gets it.
So given that it looks like you paid uh, dot nothing for this copy LOL, how would you actually rate the decode on this?
What can I say? A 9+

I'm so conflicted about listening to anything from Midnight Oil now. Lead singer Peter Garrett moved in politics and completely botched it including overseeing some really dangerous public spend initiatives. So sad . . . I bought all the vinyl on first release, went to their live shows and now I can barely listen to Peter Garret's voice. Angst. :-(
He is definitely a better musician than politician.

Back