Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently purchased the SMv2 and have hooked it up to the direct multichannel inputs on the onkyo assuming no post processing by the amplifier but something to check next time I’m back at home to use it - unfortunately I’m working in rural area and only had a few hours with unit last weekend.
You're correct to assume there's no post-processing, aside from volume, when using the multichannel direct inputs. I do the same thing with a Marantz receiver, but there's nothing at all wrong with the sound from that approach. In fact, since I prefer to keep my bass and treble controls in their "flat" positions, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. The separation is phenomenal, and to me, that's why I bought the unit. In fact, after nearly a year of having this little box hooked up, I'm still re-discovering my quad record collection.

I also have the output of my SMv2 go to the multi-channel inputs of my Marantz AVR. My SMv2 is fed from my Apt-Holman pre-amp which in turn is fed from my turntable. However, I don't know if it's possible to use the SMv2 to process feeds from my CD player, Oppo, FM, stream, etc. If it is possible, I haven't figured out how to do it!

I also have the output of my SMv2 go to the multi-channel inputs of my Marantz AVR. My SMv2 is fed from my Apt-Holman pre-amp which in turn is fed from my turntable. However, I don't know if it's possible to use the SMv2 to process feeds from my CD player, Oppo, FM, stream, etc. If it is possible, I haven't figured out how to do it!
[/QUOTE The SMv2 only has two-channel input, so your Oppo, assuming it's what you also play your SACD and DVD-A discs on, don't come into play with the SM. I also have a selector box that lets me switch 6 channel sources into my receiver's multichannel inputs. My SM, and the SACD/DVD-A player, work from that.

My Pro-Ject Phono Box 2 is connected to a switchbox that allows me to select between it, the analog output of my Sony CD recorder, keeping a connection open for another component. The output of that box goes directly to the input of my SMv2. The 6 channel output of the SM goes to another switchbox, along with the output of my SACD/DVD-A player, and the output of the box to the multichannel inputs on the receiver. A bit cumbersome, but it works!

Lordy - and here I am thinking having my Sony 400 disc SACD unit and the SMv2 sharing the multichannel direct input via a shared plug for each channel was complicated!
5FFF589A-6D59-41B8-B72B-61557BBB6860.jpeg

My Pro-Ject Phono Box 2 is connected to a switchbox that allows me to select between it, the analog output of my Sony CD recorder, keeping a connection open for another component. The output of that box goes directly to the input of my SMv2. The 6 channel output of the SM goes to another switchbox, along with the output of my SACD/DVD-A player, and the output of the box to the multichannel inputs on the receiver. A bit cumbersome, but it works!

A little switchbox or even the RCA plug adapter can solve the issue for a source like my CD player, and I can do that, but I was hoping that I could use my SMv2 to synthesize quad from my AVR's built in FM and streaming and any other high level sources connected to the AVR, like a tape deck. Right now I use my AVR to create synthesized surround from FM or streaming or other stereo source through its built-in Dolby or DTS decoders. I suppose I could connect my CD player to my Apt-Holman but then I lose the remote control switching function on my AVR.

A little switchbox or even the RCA plug adapter can solve the issue for a source like my CD player, and I can do that, but I was hoping that I could use my SMv2 to synthesize quad from my AVR's built in FM and streaming and any other high level sources connected to the AVR, like a tape deck. Right now I use my AVR to create synthesized surround from FM or streaming or other stereo source through its built-in Dolby or DTS decoders. I suppose I could connect my CD player to my Apt-Holman but then I lose the remote control switching function on my AVR.
Synthesizing FM from a receiver might indeed be tough. If you were using an outboard tuner, not problem - you could treat it like a CD player, cassette deck, etc, and connect direct to the Surround Master (yeah, via splitters or a switch box). If your receiver can accommodate a TAPE 2 / Tape Loop function for an outboard equalizer, that would allow your FM or streaming signal to be routed to the Surround Master, but the problem might be getting the 4 or 6 channel signal back from the Surround Master. I've got a feeling that engaging a TAPE 2 / Tape Loop function while also receiving an External In return signal probably can't be done, you'd have to dig into your AVR manual and then experiment, which may require a temporary RCA cable rewiring to keep things "simple" for the experiment.

Synthesizing FM from a receiver might indeed be tough. If you were using an outboard tuner, not problem - you could treat it like a CD player, cassette deck, etc, and connect direct to the Surround Master (yeah, via splitters or a switch box). If your receiver can accommodate a TAPE 2 / Tape Loop function for an outboard equalizer, that would allow your FM or streaming signal to be routed to the Surround Master, but the problem might be getting the 4 or 6 channel signal back from the Surround Master. I've got a feeling that engaging a TAPE 2 / Tape Loop function while also receiving an External In return signal probably can't be done, you'd have to dig into your AVR manual and then experiment, which may require a temporary RCA cable rewiring to keep things "simple" for the experiment.
Is there really anything worth listening to on FM where you live? There certainly isn't, here in South Florida.

The problem with simply using RCA plug adapters to use two components on the same input is that one component will get the signal from the other fed into it, and that can influence the end result. It can also result in damage to one component or the other by sending a signal into a connection that's meant to be an output. The switchbox approach, as I took, allows the components that share an input to be isolated from each other. It'll sound better, and prevent possible damage.

My best friend is visiting and has helped me out by running all the wires so that the output of the 4 main SMv2 channels are going to the Teac 3440 Reel-to-Reel( which he is letting me use) 4 channels. We put on an old Command recoding of guitarist Tony Mottola and at the end one song you can watch the meters showing the music going from the Left Rear channel up to the Right Front channel.👋

1. Garbage's "No Gods No Masters" - They're not exactly the kind of Steely Floyd band most would turn to for an audiophile demo, but in Involve mode the main album (not so much the bonus tracks on the deluxe edition) spreads out very nicely. At one point a guitar riff repeatedly bounces from right front to left rear.

2. Bauhaus "Bela Lugosi's Dead" from the CD single. Not going to be everyone's cup of musical tea, but it's a simple recording (bass, drums, guitar, vocal, some tape effects) that really opens up through the SM.

Allright!! I have a working quad setup now!

Although I have a question about the 4 vs 4.1 bass channel on the SM

I am playing an old quad LP that should only have 4ch, but the bass channel LED on the SM is illuminated, even though I have it set on 4ch, not 4.1

Reason I ask is the bass appears to be cut/rolled off. But it may also be something with my gear.

But anyway: LP is SQ encoded "six wives of Henry VIII" by Rick Wakeman, and it sounds GREAT with the Surroundmaster!!

Especially the 1st track on side 2. I always thought recordings of pipe organs sounded distant, and not that impressive in stereo. But WOW, in surround it is gobsmacking!! You really get a sense of the air, the space, and immensity of sound, with the rear channels.

Looking forward to listening to some more quad LP's

Well done, Chucky, Dave & team!!

Last edited:
Back