Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1638818514209.png

Lots of rear channel action

who would have thunk eh...

Last edited:
I haven't been following this thread, since up until about several months ago, I was an Audionics S&IC user. Unfortunately that legendary decoder burned out, and I ordered the Soundmaster V2. I have listened to various material which has been good, but tonight I listened to Spirit: The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus. This is amazing! I thought it would be, because it did well on the Audionics unit. But using Involve Audio mode 5.1 it was outstanding. Y'all ought to give it a spin.
Excellent tip, thanks. I tried it yesterday. Everything I like about quad/surround, the mix opens up, hearing new things etc!

1639160330648.png

Majestic.

Cymbals, drums and chorus mainly at the rear.

In the orgasm track ∞ Irene's voice moves from rear left to far left, centre, far right and kinda right. 180 degrees almost.
Magick

Maybe just a bit too much action at the back for my liking compared to other recordings.
I wish there was a remote to modulate the rears for certain recordings.

will the fabled Preamp have a remote?

Last edited:
Don't know if any of you have caught this yet, but Roland Emmerich's latest disaster movie has had the first 5 minutes released as a teaser for the film and it has to be said, the sound design is pretty great, and the surround through the Surround Master is...enthralling, I would say. I wasn't explicitly keen to see this flick but now that it seems their sound engineer / producer is getting some decent creative flex time, I might want to see it.

Don't know if any of you have caught this yet, but Roland Emmerich's latest disaster movie has had the first 5 minutes released as a teaser for the film and it has to be said, the sound design is pretty great, and the surround through the Surround Master is...enthralling, I would say. I wasn't explicitly keen to see this flick but now that it seems their sound engineer / producer is getting some decent creative flex time, I might want to see it.

Geeez Dave, sounded surroundy just on my stereo computer speakers, bet It's a real laugh thru the ol' Surround Master (y)

BTW, his singing broke it me thinks - uh huh!

1639913822281.png

Yep - Crimson.

I pitched a very aggressive surround mix against stereo through Involve mode.
Cheeky eh
Unfair even.

Lizard: Cirkus, indoor games.
A definitely aggressive and discreet 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson.

Then, back to back I played the stereo version through SM3.

It is almost as discreet and everything well placed.
In a blind test I would bet that many would not be able which one is which.

Wow, what sorcery is going on in the little box with the piercing blue eyes
(could it be that it is QS encoded? there is no way this should compare so well back to back)

View attachment 74492

Yep - Crimson.

I pitched a very aggressive surround mix against stereo through Involve mode.
Cheeky eh
Unfair even.

Lizard: Cirkus, indoor games.
A definitely aggressive and discreet 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson.

Then, back to back I played the stereo version through SM3.

It is almost as discreet and everything well placed.
In a blind test I would bet that many would not be able which one is which.

Wow, what sorcery is going on in the little box with the piercing blue eyes
(could it be that it is QS encoded? there is no way this should compare so well back to back)
It's eyes are less piercing than the V2!!!!

1639922074198.png

jazz rock from the 70s sounding like it was properly remastered in surround.
I'd challenge anyone to claim otherwise. This one is a natural for Involve mode, even saxophones having a discussion RRight and RLelft a-la-BitchezBrew

I am in awe of the algorithm these crazy Australians have invented..

It's eyes are less piercing than the V2!!!!
Maybe others will find this tip useful:
I've stuck 'LightDims' on them and they are subtle enough now.
Cheap from Amazon, they come in various sizes and tame annoying LEDs that happen to be in your field of vision.
You can still see the LED even in the day, but it doesn't drive you mad anymore

I'm waiting for 'wifedims' to come back in stock.
They tame annoying wives in your field of perception. You can still see them but they don't annoy you anymore. Or as much......

Cheap from Amazon, they come in various sizes and tame annoying LEDs that happen to be in your field of vision.
You have just voided your warrantee!!!!!!!!! Sacrilege

I recommended these 18mths ago!!
My original post on the subject shows the effect with one of my SMs so modified alongside an unmodified one...
SMv2 with Light Dims

Back