Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1640020794691.png

Virgin CD

In Involve mode spreads like it was encoded in surround.
Moves from speaker to speaker in a circle at times, as you'd hope from this material.
Disceet and ethereal voices all at the back of course.

Much better than Zappa's 'one size fits all' that was merely OK, nothing like this one.

You think Christmas is too twodimensional? You think you may celebrate your holidays abandoning your rear speakers? No, that would not be fair. That is not what Christmas is about.

Why not instead play CHRISTMAS SONGS THAT SOUND GREAT WITH THE SURROUND MASTER?

So here is a start (in a simple Spotify-list):
Have yourself a merry synthesized quadraphonic Christmas

Attachments

• BF98D2B2-BCE5-45E4-9C67-CEE81BF1838D.jpeg
    BF98D2B2-BCE5-45E4-9C67-CEE81BF1838D.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 45
  • F4F2B641-7565-46E2-BED4-8A3242635F5E.jpeg
    F4F2B641-7565-46E2-BED4-8A3242635F5E.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 56
Newbie here (first post after my self intro)
I have found my way to the StudioMaster forum by the desire to hear one of my favorite albums, Santana Caravanserai, in quad. So, what are your thoughts on that record and also Lotus with the StudioMaster(s)?
So far the new v2 is my frontrunner in building out quad capability for the Columbia recordings on quad LP.
1640268578947.png

The stereo SACD is quite Involving..

"The Electric Prunes" as I mentioned yesterday in the thread about "listening to this stereo/mono CD". The "Then Came the Dawn" Box set, from Cherry Red. While the first album (stereo version) does contain an excessive amount of fake reverb, it makes my Audionics S&IC go nuts! It sounds like a discrete mix, so it should work equally well via the surround master. The mono mix is much drier more like what I remember the album to sound like. The other albums from the box that I've listened to so far decode very nicely as well, and the discs are not brickwalled!

Attachments

• Scan-211222-0003.jpg
    Scan-211222-0003.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 31
1640273679371.png

Alex Harvey - Framed
I loved it ever since I first heard it when I could still go up to 20KHz ha ha
All digital versions I've come across are dull with missing treble, maybe the tapes were stored near magnets who knows..

Only the version above opens up decently, Japanese SHM CD

Tried two other 'remastered' versions and they are flat as pancakes.
go figure

Dear Surroundophiles

As some of yous guys may know I have not been my usual brilliant/ charming and jolly self this year-you know Ticker stuffing up, operations and the big zap, knee totally pooched, operations, COVID, our solar battery company Zenaji, a years worth of renovations and essentially camping for that year, coping with DAWSON (that alone can send you bonkers) and other even worse shit. I have not listened to any music or home cinema for over a year, and even now my main system is not in operation as more renovations are happening. Frankly I dropped the ball a bit.

Well I turned on our 10 channel 120 W per channel Y4 , 4 electrostatic speaker plus dual dual 5 inch woofer (behind the TV ) setup in my newly renovated lower lounge (the cinema area) complete with the 70 inch Sony TV and we watched "being the Ricardos" of Netflix and from the very beginning I was amazed at the tasteful use of surround that was not BOOM BANG THUD but totally lifelike. At no time did I detect the speaker positions and everyone in the room was completely centered on the image. There was some IN CONTEXT deep bass that sounded perfect in the small lower lounge. The separation was outstanding with zero image smear. I was in the movie!

Also importantly no one got a headache- so typical of most modern surround systems. Really, I personally forgot how good the Y4 actually sounds even though the speakers are tiny. I confess I am spoilt by the big stuff but wow it was great tonight. Oh and no center channel- yet the image was identical and consistent for all.

There must be a market for this stuff, yes I might be a tad biased but the above is all true and real. I think I have awoken from my slumbers.

See attached pictures n stuff

Attachments

• IMG_20211224_154911.jpg
    IMG_20211224_154911.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20211224_154936.jpg
    IMG_20211224_154936.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 109
...Well I turned on our 10 channel 120 W per channel Y4 , 4 electrostatic speaker plus dual dual 5 inch woofer (behind the TV ) setup in my newly renovated lower lounge (the cinema area) complete with the 70 inch Sony TV and we watched...

The Y4 looks very classy with this decor...quite nice! However, those rear speaker stands do not do the artsy Y4 justice.

Dear Surroundophiles

As some of yous guys may know I have not been my usual brilliant/ charming and jolly self this year-you know Ticker stuffing up, operations and the big zap, knee totally pooched, operations, COVID, our solar battery company Zenaji, a years worth of renovations and essentially camping for that year, coping with DAWSON (that alone can send you bonkers) and other even worse shit. I have not listened to any music or home cinema for over a year, and even now my main system is not in operation as more renovations are happening. Frankly I dropped the ball a bit.

Well I turned on our 10 channel 120 W per channel Y4 , 4 electrostatic speaker plus dual dual 5 inch woofer (behind the TV ) setup in my newly renovated lower lounge (the cinema area) complete with the 70 inch Sony TV and we watched "being the Ricardos" of Netflix and from the very beginning I was amazed at the tasteful use of surround that was not BOOM BANG THUD but totally lifelike. At no time did I detect the speaker positions and everyone in the room was completely centered on the image. There was some IN CONTEXT deep bass that sounded perfect in the small lower lounge. The separation was outstanding with zero image smear. I was in the movie!

Also importantly no one got a headache- so typical of most modern surround systems. Really, I personally forgot how good the Y4 actually sounds even though the speakers are tiny. I confess I am spoilt by the big stuff but wow it was great tonight. Oh and no center channel- yet the image was identical and consistent for all.

There must be a market for this stuff, yes I might be a tad biased but the above is all true and real. I think I have awoken from my slumbers.

See attached pictures n stuff
I guess I need to break down and sell some of my GOS double/triple titles I've had stashed away for years; those electrostatic speakers would go nicely in my little Quad room (do I really need a sub?) -waiting impatiently and unapologetically for the Involve pre amp :whistle:

Was there some good Little Ricky Cuban music that decoded nicely in that show?

Lucy and his Desilu Productions was what brought about the whole Star Trek franchise; which I have countless hours soaking up off a boob tube!

I hardly think you've dropped any kind of ball with all you've been through-
You Rock Chucky :SG

I guess I need to break down and sell some of my GOS double/triple titles I've had stashed away for years; those electrostatic speakers would go nicely in my little Quad room (do I really need a sub?) -waiting impatiently and unapologetically for the Involve pre amp :whistle:

Was there some good Little Ricky Cuban music that decoded nicely in that show?

Lucy and his Desilu Productions was what brought about the whole Star Trek franchise; which I have countless hours soaking up off a boob tube!

I hardly think you've dropped any kind of ball with all you've been through-
You Rock Chucky :SG
The Cuban music was great!!!

Hi Chucky I see you like Stressless furniture too.
I have a captains chair with matching footstool and one of those little round tables attached.
Would love to hear your system.
Are the functions of the SM built into your new preamp or do you need one as an accessory?

Merry Christmas

Hi Chucky I see you like Stressless furniture too.
I have a captains chair with matching footstool and one of those little round tables attached.
Would love to hear your system.
Are the functions of the SM built into your new preamp or do you need one as an accessory?

Merry Christmas
Yep I like the Stressless stuff, I have the papa bear chair for lil ol me and a baby bear one for my wife (all 100 lbs of her).
The Y4 has the basic SM decoder built in without the center channel poison or the SQ and TSS modes.....just Involve/ QS.

As I mentioned, I have been without music and movies for over a year. Last night the original Matrix came on common ol HDTV free to air. I turned on the Y4 in my sunken lounge and WOW! The thing that grabbed me the most was "being there" in the scene bullets n stuff was flying all around, but the most impressive stuff was the side imaging was precise and definite, even for my tone deaf wife- all this with 4 speakers. Not 7.1 or ATMOS bollocks.

Last night I had a listen/ watch Talking Heads- stop making sense. Just love it, one of the best live productions ever and the soundtrack sounds great in surround!

Tonight I watched/ listened to The Brian Setzer orchestra- live in Japan. Just a fabulous rock a billy, punk, swing concert starting off with the big band and eventually breaking down into a Setzer solo, then into a Stray Cats 3 man format and back to the full big band swing. You really must all get it! Again sounded great in surround and the rockin Japanese audience was well in the rear.

I often read surveys of lists of the worlds greatest guitarists and Setzer is never mentioned, he is easily in my top 5. There are just no weak spots in this performance

Back