Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I had a listen/ watch Talking Heads- stop making sense. Just love it, one of the best live productions ever and the soundtrack sounds great in surround!

Tonight I watched/ listened to The Brian Setzer orchestra- live in Japan. Just a fabulous rock a billy, punk, swing concert starting off with the big band and eventually breaking down into a Setzer solo, then into a Stray Cats 3 man format and back to the full big band swing. You really must all get it! Again sounded great in surround and the rockin Japanese audience was well in the rear.

I often read surveys of lists of the worlds greatest guitarists and Setzer is never mentioned, he is easily in my top 5. There are just no weak spots in this performance

You've inspired me to end my hiatus from video and digital media...I used to really enjoy listening and watching Roy Orbison, Eagles, etc. with audio through the 5.1. But for whatever reason between moving around different states and a focus on analog, I got away from the multi-media. I have the SMv3 now to play with and I still have my 15 year old Yamaha DSP receiver, but I need to dust it off along with my poor old Oppo BDP-83, and get a TV monitor again..! The Talking Heads, based on watching and listening from my phone, would be great.

You've inspired me to end my hiatus from video and digital media...I used to really enjoy listening and watching Roy Orbison, Eagles, etc. with audio through the 5.1. But for whatever reason between moving around different states and a focus on analog, I got away from the multi-media. I have the SMv3 now to play with and I still have my 15 year old Yamaha DSP receiver, but I need to dust it off along with my poor old Oppo BDP-83, and get a TV monitor again..! The Talking Heads, based on watching and listening from my phone, would be great.
Yeah, I am more of a music guy and have previously not been into the movie thing but seriously the Y4 system is dragging me out of the stone age

1641144930842.png

breathing new life to a gem from the 70s.
Opens up nicely, guitars yapping RLeft and RRight.

Miles Davis stereo SACDs even more impressive, yet to come across one that doesn't respond to Involve mode.

“While my guitar gently weeps”

From The Beatles (“The White Album”), remixed in 2018, heard on Spotify.

Almost the whole White Album sounds awesome through the Surround Master v 3. This is not surprising as the album is full of fat bass, excellent guitar playing, punchy drumming and great arrangements. Although it’s one of my favourite albums, I always thought it was less exciting that other Beatles albums soundwise. Not anymore. It is full, juicy and candy all over. Hell, even Revolution 9 now sounds really interesting in synthesized quad.

Although Dear Prudence or Piggies probably wins the prize for most extreme quadsounding openings, Happiness is a warm gun for the most split-up dynamic changes, Mother Nature’s Son may have the most added space and Cry Baby Cry may surprise you with its now heard elaborate bass playing in left rear speaker, Bungalow Bill and Martha my Dear surprises everyone by just sounding so f**ing good - I have to give it to While my guitar gently weeps. While most songs benefit a lot from forced quadification, this song gets even deeper emotionally.

This is a song so sad it sounds like some death march. The Surround Master adds a flying sweeping feeling that somehow works to make it even sadder. The song starts with piano in the left and hi-hat in the right speaker. Soon chorused guitars appear to the left and double versions of George Harrison up front. While the bass is heavy, chained to the kick drum beat, the guitars flies together with a sinister organ as if this march was filmed with sweeping cameras from above. Already at 1.55 Eric Claptons epic solo explodes. It transforms the song to a genuine cult of humans and guitars crying until engineers have to cut it off because it is so extremely sad it may depress the economy of the Commonwealth.

Last edited:
And now the full trailer. Roland definitely has a decent sound guy.
Movie looks amazingly terrible in the best way possible.

And Charlie is probably going to hate the hard-rock remix of a CCR track. But here we are.

Nah, that's where your really don't know me Bitch (after all these friggin years). At least it was not some dickless young punk trying to do a Fogerty, It helps keep the CCR thing out there 52 years later. Oh the movie looks a hot mess- gotta see it!

I decided to listen to my vinyl of the Small Faces 1968 LP Ogden's NutGone via the SM2, I have to say if I didn't know it was stereo I would swear it was encoded in Quad! It works really well the rear channels are full. The photos are of the album cover which was pretty unique (I'm trying to think when I bought it possibly 1972-ish).
20220107_175034.jpg
20220107_175113.jpg
20220107_175140.jpg

Last edited:
IMO they'll have a hard time matching 'Inovlve mode' in blind tests.

If they do exceed it, cudos to them, they'll deserve all the success they get.

Until then, one is kicking ass in my living room, while the other one is vapourware (hopes+dreams+marketingtalk)

Nah, that's where your really don't know me Bitch (after all these friggin years). At least it was not some dickless young punk trying to do a Fogerty, It helps keep the CCR thing out there 52 years later. Oh the movie looks a hot mess- gotta see it!

Ahh I see. Genuinely surprised. I wonder how far we can push the concept - pretty sure there are some Sheryl Crow dubstep remixes out there....

Back