Stylus Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaWorm

Any chance this is a Shibata stylus? I'm guessing not, but as far as I know the cart it is for is usually only on the cheap Panasonic turntables with the built in CD-4 decoder. I have one of those in rough shape, and was considering getting it going again if I could do it cheaply enough. Otherwise I'll probably see if I can salvage the decoder and junk the rest.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/264549975958

My guess is that it is not a Shibata stylus. Any Walco stylus I have seen either says 'Elliptical' or nothing (likely Conical), so they would certainly indicate if it was a premium stylus like a Shibata.

I'd guess not as well, but it seems odd to have a standard conical for a cart intended primarily for quad. Further reading makes it look like the cart may be worth more than the rest of the unit (strain gauge EPC-451C). But the stylus has been broken off, this table has not been treated well.

You want a red, white or pearly white plastic grip. Yellow is conical on all I have seen. Expect to spend at least 70 US dollars to get one. Tje cartridge is indeed worth more than the rest of the unit. I got my firat one that way from a trashed machine in a thrift store. The built in decoder is low end. Try looking for a Technics SH 400, Panasonic SE405" methinks " or a Japanese Technics SH 5280, 5380, 5480 or 5480 demodulator to make the best use of that cartridge. The conicals were for Japanese crumpack (tm Quad Linda) systems. It was their way of using up stock and affording to manufacture the carts in great quantities. I like mine and would be using it but my demodulator developed noise in one channel. When I can get it restored it will be my main cart again. I have 2 and use the conical tip on lesser records as they are affordable.

Thanks everyone. Looks like this might be the right type. I'll have to see if I can get the rest up and running before I pay that much. Sounds like I could sell that cart for enough to get a proper stylus for the Pickering on my Dual 1229Q (still need a decoder, though...) as it's a much better table.

If you couple that 1229 with the cart and a quad stylus, uou would have an awesome set up. Just be aware that the noise blanking circuit in the 1229 MAY make a pop in the speakers. I had this issue on a Technics SL5200. I put it on my SL1200 and problem solved and left a MM cart on the SL5200 when I need autoreturn. That stylus is right. You can also find it at thevoiceofmusic.com as well. Search quad styli and select 672.

Keep in mind that if you want to use that strain gauge cartridge you will have to use a Panasonic or Technics receiver or demodulator that will accept a semiconductor cartridge. Most demodulators and phono preamps are designed to be used with more common moving magnet cartridges (or moving coil with a step-up device).

phono selector.jpg

Last edited:
I'll probably not use that cartridge on the Dual any time soon. If I can fix the Panasonic turntable, I'll leave it there. If not, while I understand the CD-4 decoder in the table may not be first rate, perhaps I can pull it out and put it in a box and use it like one of the standalone models, in which case I may experiment with this cart on the Dual. But I'm not sure I'm ready to invest $150 in an external Panasonic or Technics box just yet. I only paid $5 for the table, and as noted earlier it's in pretty rough shape, so it may not be salvageable.

Back