HiRez Poll Styx - CYCLORAMA [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Styx - CYCLORAMA

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A from Silverline. :mad:@:

Styx.jpg

Never heard the album or the DVD-A, but it seems like the mix is pretty good. Everybody that commented on amazon likes it:
http://www.amazon.com/Styx-Cycloram...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Should give this a try.

I have this CD, but not the DVD-A. I bought it in a bargain bin a few years ago for a couple bucks.

One Amazon reviewer gave this description:

This is a good disc song-wise. Classic sounding Styx with Gowan taking over keyboard duties from departed member Dennis DeYoung. I just find it to be quite bright, almost peircing in the top end.

This is my impression of the stereo mix on the CD. The cymbals are really bright, making it hard to listen to. I am concerned the DVD-A will sound that way too.

I wonder who scored it an 8. I guess that person had no comments.

I have this disc, but it has been a while since I listened to it. I don't remember the cymbals being bright and I remember liking the disc a lot. By memory, I probably would have given it an 8, but I haven't voted yet. I'll get it out to listen again and see if it holds up to memory.

I forgot how much I enjoyed this disc. It has a great surround mix and the music is a lot of fun. I guess the only weak spot is the audio; as it is a little bright, though it is 96/24 MLP. In my car I didn't notice the brightness as much as on my home system. I will give this a solid 8.

I just listened to this disc 3 times through. If you like Styx or the AOR genre, it is definitely worth purchasing given that it can be obtained for a good price. The music is very diverse, so I can't imagine someone not finding something to enjoy. As others have mentioned, it is a fun album.

The surround mix is pretty good on most of the tracks. It is not a overly aggressive mix, but at different times harmony vocals, guitar and keys can be clearly heard coming from the rear channels. A nice balanced mix with nothing in the rear channels seeming out of place.

Some tracks are really excellent sounding. The ballads, "Yes I Can" and "Together" are excellent. The former in particular. It is simply a beautiful song.

Fortunately, the 5.1 tracks don't have the same level of "brightness" that the CD has. It is still a bit bright for my tastes, but not as bad as the CD. The 5.1 was mastered by a different person, which probably made a difference.

However, it is not perfect.... the drums sound poor throughout, IMO. The snare sounds kind of flat, and the cymbals are not really crisp. The rest of the instruments sound quite good, so it is probably just how the drums were recorded. Perhaps this is a personal preference.

I give an 8 on all counts; mix, fidelity and content.

I had an impression that this wasn't a great mix, or was a Silverline "surround-o-matic", I'm happy that I was wrong! I quite like this one the mix isn't bad....

Content wise it has hints of prog in parts...which I wasn't expecting... 8 points.

Does the dualdisc version contain dvd-audio MLP or just Dolby Digital?

Yes, it's DVD-Audio, it features MLP 5.1, Dolby 5.1 & stereo, bonus content

Thanks, I always wanted to get this one...I got the Dual Disc version for about 10 Euros new...will report back on it(looks like it's a good one in spite of being a Silverline title)...I was into Styx since TGI..Po8 being my fave....Cheers!

I've had the DVD-A for a couple years I think. Sounds great really. I was pleasantly surprised due to the fact I got it on Amazon for about $8 if I recall. Nice set of songs, surround mix is good. Honestly, it sounds great cranked up. Gave it an 8.

The album has a number of decent tunes although many seem be borrowing someone else's style. Can't really put my finger on it - but then I don't know Styx that well. Maybe that really is "their" sound. I hear a Queen influence of some of them.

Regardless, I will happily put this disc on just to play one song: These Are the Times. That one is perfect. Love it!

The album has a number of decent tunes although many seem be borrowing someone else's style. Can't really put my finger on it - but then I don't know Styx that well. Maybe that really is "their" sound. I hear a Queen influence of some of them.

Regardless, I will happily put this disc on just to play one song: These Are the Times. That one is perfect. Love it!
Styx has another song called The Best Of Times... seems like that one could be a sequel.

Well, Styx "sound" has been missing in action for a while. though, I was pleased with the way this disc sounds and I heard some of their past here and there.

To me this is not Styx; kicking out the main man Dennis is not cool!

Back