Styx - The Mission - coming to 5.1 surround Blu-Ray in July!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my copy two days ago. I haven't had a chance to listen yet. I also haven't ripped it to the NAS yet. It has BD+ copy protection which renders it unreadable with DVDAE and the beta code for MakeMKV ran out at the end of July (even earlier than that since it wouldn't work on 7/31). So I guess I either have to pay the $50 for the MakeMKV perm key (which I really only need for BD+ protected disks) or wait around for a new beta key to be announced. Or, horror of horrors, actually play the physical disk :eek::eek::eek:

I received my copy two days ago. I haven't had a chance to listen yet. I also haven't ripped it to the NAS yet. It has BD+ copy protection which renders it unreadable with DVDAE and the beta code for MakeMKV ran out at the end of July (even earlier than that since it wouldn't work on 7/31). So I guess I either have to pay the $50 for the MakeMKV perm key (which I really only need for BD+ protected disks) or wait around for a new beta key to be announced. Or, horror of horrors, actually play the physical disk :eek::eek::eek:

… and some people think that vinyl LPs are a lot of trouble. :smokin

Just remember..we are here for you in this dark hour of need:whistle:

I see both sides of the popular opinions expressed here, but I vote an 8 after repeated listens. Yes the lead vocal does often come from all speakers, but it works for me. I prefer a lead in the center channel approach but this mix works well too. The lead vocal floats around and above you and it fits the music and theme well. There are still plenty of great harmony vocals emphasized throughout every song. You can really appreciate the different stylings of each singer in the band. There are many discretely placed musical passages and effects/sounds swirling around the room that come across as warranted and fitting without feeling forced at all. The music is dense and this 5.1 mix does a nice job of opening it up. I loved this album on first listen and I still really love it. Strong songs and performances. "Time May Bend" really sounds killer. The 5.1 will replace my vinyl for most future plays. The visuals are ok, but having the lyrics is a nice touch. Nice to get added bonus content with the videos and such for such a low price. I would buy every Styx album again if Tommy used this same approach to mixing them in surround. Not a perfect mix, but certainly a solid effort. Again, an 8...and that's without any bonus points for it being Tommy's first LP mix in surround.

I have something called "AnyDVD" which works well in conjunction with DVDAE (I had no problem ripping The Mission)... it costs $, though :(

New beta key should be out in a few days if not already :LB:LBso I would sit tight
Y
They usually do it month to month or a lil longer

So for what its worth I did spin the disk a bit last night. Only a few songs so no opinion yet, but it did like what I heard. It may be an unconventional mix, but so were the Flaming Lips releases, and I liked those a lot.

This may be one of the few releases it is worth spinning a disk for. The visualizations are pretty cool. And I really like the included on screen lyrics. The on screen lyrics is the biggest thing I miss when not playing a file as opposed to a disk.

I also had a rough time with the disc playback on my Oppo BDP-83SE. Navigating menus was sluggish. There were a few times the visualization blacked out. There were even some stutters on the splash page music. It played the tracks with no problem though.

I had the same kind of issue with the last recent Blu-ray I played, which was Sgt Pepper. Back then someone on the board remarked that the ol' 83 is getting long in the tooth these days and just cant keep up with these new generation blue rays. Maybe so. But it should still play a music Blu-ray like this without any problem. My guess is its the latest copy protection that is causing the issue. If i'm not mistaken, pepper had it as well. It could also be that the player is on its way out.

I also had a rough time with the disc playback on my Oppo BDP-83SE. Navigating menus was sluggish. There were a few times the visualization blacked out. There were even some stutters on the splash page music. It played the tracks with no problem though.

I had the same kind of issue with the last recent Blu-ray I played, which was Sgt Pepper. Back then someone on the board remarked that the ol' 83 is getting long in the tooth these days and just cant keep up with these new generation blue rays. Maybe so. But it should still play a music Blu-ray like this without any problem. My guess is its the latest copy protection that is causing the issue. If i'm not mistaken, pepper had it as well. It could also be that the player is on its way out.

I take it that you have the last firmware installed?

Back