Styx - The Mission - coming to 5.1 surround Blu-Ray in July!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps the sales of The Mission CD/Blu-Ray didn't meet their expectations? I really liked that album as well, and the somewhat unorthodox 5.1 mix made it sound absolutely huge.
Agreed, The Mission had an excellent 5.1 mix. What doesn't help sales is that the 5.1 bluray version came out a while after the CD release. Surely, if they're going to release a 5.1 version, it would make sense to release it at the same time.

Agreed, The Mission had an excellent 5.1 mix. What doesn't help sales is that the 5.1 bluray version came out a while after the CD release. Surely, if they're going to release a 5.1 version, it would make sense to release it at the same time.

Yea n it was damn hard to find the set w the bluray ...i had to search forever to find the 5.1 set

What doesn't help sales is that the 5.1 bluray version came out a while after the CD release. Surely, if they're going to release a 5.1 version, it would make sense to release it at the same time.

You're absolutely right--the exact same mistake was made with Coldplay's A Head Full Of Dreams Blu-Ray back in 2016, which now fetches ridiculous sums on the used market. I just looked around to see if The Mission CD/Blu-Ray is still available, and sure enough none of the major vendors like Amazon, ImportCDs, DeepDiscount, etc carry it anymore.

There is the possibility that COVID kept them from getting into the studio and mixing it for 5.1 (supposedly this is why Rick Wakeman's The Red Planet ended up being an upmix instead of a genuine surround mix). Whatever the reason is, I'm hopeful that we get more surround mixes from them down the road--around 2017-18, it seemed like Tommy Shaw was genuinely excited about 5.1 and even expressed interest in remixing the classic '70s material.

i found this:

1620357881680.jpeg

Content introduction

[High resolution CD / paper jacket: ROCK best compilation album series in the analog era]

[MQA-CD] [UHQCD] [Green color label coat] [First paper jacket] [Limited edition]

Styx, who is famous as a popular band of American progressive rock, is the best compilation album of songs from "Branch point" (1975) to "Paradise Theater" (1981) after A & M transfer by fan voting as a commemorative album to Japan.・ The album is made into a first paper jacket.
The bold design of Kanji by Tsuguya Inoue is eye-catching.
(Announced in 1981)

★ High resolution CD (MQA-CD + UHQCD) specifications
★ 2021 DSD master based on Japanese original analog tape converted to 352.8kHz / 24bit and recorded (high resolution undelivered sound source)
★ Spread paper jacket that reproduces the Japanese first edition LP in miniature
★ A belt that reproduces the design of the first Japanese LP
★ Commentary / lyrics / translation included
★ Limited Edition

* The high-resolution CD masterpiece series is a high-quality CD (UHQCD) that can be played on all CD players (44.1kHz / 16bit).
* If you use an MQA compatible device, you can play back with the high resolution quality of the original master.

<Song>
1. Borrowed time
2. Crystal ball (live)
3.1928 (Paradise Theater Open)
4. Rockin the Paradise
5. Suite Madame Blue
6. Boat on the River
7. Come Sail Away
8. Fugitive
9. Miss America
10. Blue Collar Man
11. Babe

Media publication reviews, etc.
Styx, who is famous as a popular band of American progressive rock, is the best compilation album of songs from "Branch point" (1975) to "Paradise Theater" (1981) after A & M transfer by fan voting as a commemorative album to Japan.・ The album is made into a first paper jacket. The bold design of Kanji by Tsuguya Inoue is eye-catching. "Crystal Ball" was recorded in a valuable live version in San Francisco in 1979. (Announced in 1981) (C) RS

Well, their first couple albums are very interesting and not what you might expect.
I've heard them. I still don't know that I'd call them a progressive band. Its debatable I guess. I'd call it hard rock with maybe a few proggy moments. Much like Uriah Heep and early Journey.

I certainly wouldn't say they became "famous as a popular band of American progressive rock". If anything they became famous on the stuff that came after those earliest albums.

Can you imagine someone unfamiliar with the band getting that release. Expecting something like King Crimson, Floyd, ELP, and getting Mr. Roboto, Blue Collar Man, and Babe?

i found this:

View attachment 66856

Content introduction

[High resolution CD / paper jacket: ROCK best compilation album series in the analog era]

[MQA-CD] [UHQCD] [Green color label coat] [First paper jacket] [Limited edition]

Styx, who is famous as a popular band of American progressive rock, is the best compilation album of songs from "Branch point" (1975) to "Paradise Theater" (1981) after A & M transfer by fan voting as a commemorative album to Japan.・ The album is made into a first paper jacket.
The bold design of Kanji by Tsuguya Inoue is eye-catching.
(Announced in 1981)

★ High resolution CD (MQA-CD + UHQCD) specifications
★ 2021 DSD master based on Japanese original analog tape converted to 352.8kHz / 24bit and recorded (high resolution undelivered sound source)
★ Spread paper jacket that reproduces the Japanese first edition LP in miniature
★ A belt that reproduces the design of the first Japanese LP
★ Commentary / lyrics / translation included
★ Limited Edition

* The high-resolution CD masterpiece series is a high-quality CD (UHQCD) that can be played on all CD players (44.1kHz / 16bit).
* If you use an MQA compatible device, you can play back with the high resolution quality of the original master.

<Song>
1. Borrowed time
2. Crystal ball (live)
3.1928 (Paradise Theater Open)
4. Rockin the Paradise
5. Suite Madame Blue
6. Boat on the River
7. Come Sail Away
8. Fugitive
9. Miss America
10. Blue Collar Man
11. Babe

Media publication reviews, etc.
Styx, who is famous as a popular band of American progressive rock, is the best compilation album of songs from "Branch point" (1975) to "Paradise Theater" (1981) after A & M transfer by fan voting as a commemorative album to Japan.・ The album is made into a first paper jacket. The bold design of Kanji by Tsuguya Inoue is eye-catching. "Crystal Ball" was recorded in a valuable live version in San Francisco in 1979. (Announced in 1981) (C) RS
I had this Japanese import LP back in the day. Sound quality was outstanding. (Still preferred the various audiophile LPs - Original Master Recording, half speed masters and the DBX records - anyone remember that format?) btw- track 8 is more commonly known as Renegade....:)

Back