Quad LP/Tape Poll Subotnick, Morton: Touch [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Touch"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia MQ 31019, quad edition released 1972. Original stereo edition: Columbia Masterworks MS 7316, 1969.

Side 1:

Touch--Part I

Side 2:

Touch--Part II

ED :)

Attachments

• Subotnick Touch SQ.jpeg
    Subotnick Touch SQ.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 387
A '6' here, same reasons as noted in BUTTERFLIES thread. Would be an understatement to call this kinda thing an acquired taste. My idea of TOUCH is John Klemmer, even if it's at times syrupy.

Klemmer's Touch is in my 10 favorite albums. Although it is one of the early "smooth jazz" albums, it is heartfelt and grooves, unlike most "smooth jazz" which just lays there and can't emote.

Subotnick's Touch is a dud. If you want a great avant-garde Quad, pick up World of Harry Partch which is a 10. How about a poll for that one, Ed?

A '6' here, same reasons as noted in BUTTERFLIES thread. Would be an understatement to call this kinda thing an acquired taste. My idea of TOUCH is John Klemmer, even if it's at times syrupy.

Touch was commissioned by Columbia Records for the introduction of their first 'quad' product and it does not dissapoint. This work by avante-garde electronic composer Morton Subotnick is definitely aptly titled as he certainly has just the right touch when it comes it experimental works utilizing the Buchla Modular system. What really surprised me about this work was his usage of rhythm. A lot of the time with this sort of note cluster generation it can end up sounding more academic than musical (ala Milton Babbit's Maximalist approach). However, Subotnick has just the right touch (even as far back as Silver Apples of the Moon 1967 displays this prowess and control) to breath life into such a robotic and chaotic approach to composition. The mix is very good, utilizing all four corners very significantly. We see much more panning in the second half, which is a bit of a relief from the four corner onslaught of the first. A beautiful composition which fully utilizes the quadraphonic format. 10

Also the Q8 sounds great.

Last edited:
I believe some (or all) of Subotnick's quads were released on either DVD-V or DVD-A discs in the past. I haven't heard them but ArmyOfQuad says that they are the quad mixes - the series was called 'Electronic Works' Volumes 1-3.

I believe some (or all) of Subotnick's quads were released on either DVD-V or DVD-A discs in the past. I haven't heard them but ArmyOfQuad says that they are the quad mixes - the series was called 'Electronic Works' Volumes 1-3.

ah yes, have all 3 of those DVD sets. i think Set 1 was DVD-A/V., 2 & 3 DVD-V.
they were all cool from what i can remember but its been a while, need to refresh the memory.

I would imagine that the 2 rating on this one was based on the reviewer's opinion on the content alone and not the mix, because this mix is quad heaven! Synth sounds coming from all corners and panning all over the place, but never feels forced or gimmicky. As QuantumGuitar said, this mix was commissioned by Columbia to showcase their SQ decoding technology, and it shows. If you were looking for an album to put on to make sure your quad system is calibrated correctly, this would be a fine choice for that, especially in the Q8 format. In fact, fidelity-wise, this might be one of the best sounding Q8s I have heard.

I would also like to comment on the musical content of this release, as I feel that this is being misrepresented. Electronic experimental works by composers such as Stockhausen and Subotnick are definitely acquired tastes, and anyone diving into music like this without context will certainly be taken off guard at first. They were concerned with exploring the possibilities of music in the electronic medium rather than putting together a catchy tune. On paper, this would sound like it is of purely academic interest rather than musical interest. However, Subotnick succeeds here in creating a work that is both experimental and musically appealing: his seemingly-random note clusters will coalesce into rhythmic structures that sound like the prototype of modern electronic music. The piece as a flow and continuity that the listener grows to appreciate as they become more familiar with it.

In all, if you like your music with structure and melody, this album is certainly not for you. However, if you are curious as to the possibilities of both electronic and quadraphonic sound, I would highly recommend giving this a try. I give it a 10 all around.

Last edited:
I would say to anyone having trouble with Subotnick’s work to go back and first listen to Silver Apples of the Moon (1967). This release may only be in stereo, but it really sets the stage for what subotnick could and would do utilizing the Buchla Modular system. He really is able to breath life into this chaotic and robotic equipment and SAotM really illustrates this quite well. I think having sat back and learned the language used so effectively in SAotM really facilitated my deeper understanding of his later work which, utilizing quadraphonic technology, may in some ways be more overwhelming and harder to immediately digest. Anyway, I have quite enjoyed these works alongside the works of engineers and composers such as Stockhausen and Partch and would again recommend them fully to fans of the early electronic and the avante-garde.

Very cool. I’m still kind of new to quad so I don’t have a disc player yet. Just using vinyl at the moment. Once I get one though that’ll be near the top of my list

Happy to see this thread on Subotnick revived.
Having been lucky to attend one of his performances he really brought the music alive it was wonderful. The three DVD collections and I think vol 3 was only dvd not DVDA are worth tracking down.
There is a CD that has both of Subotnicks Nonesuch commissioned compositions together, Silver Apples and The Wild Bull which evokes an ancient Sumerian poem on loss.
Yup not music to listen to while driving your car........but it has a place.

I didn’t know there was a poll for “Touch.” It was one of my first quad LPs, and I thought its surround work was amazing.

I have all three od his quad LPS, and he signed them at a performance at the U of Maryland in 2012 or so. That’s when I heard that he had more stuff in surround on DVD, and I immediately snagged them off ebey.

I don’t know if everyone would call his work “music,” but it is certainly sonic entertainment, and I’m a big fan.

@barfle you are lucky I also got some of my Subotnick albums signed by him when I saw him. I had an interesting conversation with him regarding the albums. He did not know that the 4 Butterflies album was released in quad as he signed it.

Back