Subwoofer placement question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strilo

Staff member
I am starting to research and plan for adding a subwoofer to my system to make it 5.1. As I figure out where to place the sub, my media console is along a wall in my loft, with a bedroom closet on the other side of the wall. If I place a simple cable passthrough in the wall, I could technically place the sub in the closet right on the other side of a standard stud hollow wall with 1/2” drywall, no insulation.

Does anyone have experience or input on how well that would work, having the sub on the other side of a wall like that?

I am starting to research and plan for adding a subwoofer to my system to make it 5.1. As I figure out where to place the sub, my media console is along a wall in my loft, with a bedroom closet on the other side of the wall. If I place a simple cable passthrough in the wall, I could technically place the sub in the closet right on the other side of a standard stud hollow wall with 1/2” drywall, no insulation.

Does anyone have experience or input on how well that would work, having the sub on the other side of a wall like that?
The only thing that immediately comes to mind is that putting a sub woof in a closet would probably have an insane amount of unwanted bass resonance.

I doubt having a sub effectively in another room would work (I could have misread your post though!) but it all depends on the room.

In my room, near the corner works best. I can move it 4 feet to the left or right of its current corner position and it just doesn't work - the bass just disappears.

So, I can only recommend you try the sub in a bunch of different places to hear what works best in your room. Corners are a good place to start. Once you've got the position sorted, you can endlessly tweak it with a number of software applications available. For example, Audyssey has worked wonders in my room, significantly improving the bass - I've read that many people have found the opposite though. Depends on your room I guess.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is that putting a sub woof in a closet would probably have an insane amount of unwanted bass resonance.
it’s a pretty big closet. Almost a walk in size.

Anything on that wall (shelves, pictures, clocks, tv, etc) would probably vibrate and rattle annoyingly. It's bad enough in any room without having it pointed directly at the wall.

Other side of a wall?! Probably be impossible to calibrate reasonably as well as rattle all kinds of things as mentioned.

The stock advice:
1. Place subwoofer in the listening position sweet spot temporarily.
2. Walk around the room and listen for the spot the bass is the strongest.
3. Place the sub in that spot.
4. Now calibrate the system for levels and crossover point.

This avoids the scenario where you lean back or move somewhere in the room and the bass suddenly gets strong. It will instead be strongest and in calibration for the listening position.

And if you can't do some/any of that for some reason, at least calibrate the system as well as possible.

Strilo, I went through this process over the past several months and have mostly used the Audioholics website and their YouTube videos to help me along the way. Below is a link to an article on their site that hopefully will be of some use. Check out some of their videos that have Anthony Grimani as a guest, he is very knowledgeable on this topic.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/basic-subwoofer-setup

I second what others have said; don't put it in the closet or another room, every room is different so test out different spots, if you don't feel like doing that you can also use REW software to roughly model your room and check where the subwoofer should be the loudest.

Also useful info over at Audioholics on room acoustics, sub placement and bass management. Perhaps more detail than is strictly required but quite useful in helping to get it right.
Room Acoustics

The advice is sound…the resulting placement may be a surprise- these guys nailed it years ago!

As for me I have a 9.2 system with four bipolar tower speakers each with a 12 inch woofer and 12 radiator speaker with the front channels in the LFE mode and the rears set up as full range and the centre speaker is a 10” with radiator.

Goldilocks system 😳😂

Attachments

• 7B9A2AA5-8C9D-4ED2-B14F-52224BBDFAB9.jpeg
    7B9A2AA5-8C9D-4ED2-B14F-52224BBDFAB9.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 57
Other side of a wall?! Probably be impossible to calibrate reasonably as well as rattle all kinds of things as mentioned.

The stock advice:
1. Place subwoofer in the listening position sweet spot temporarily.
2. Walk around the room and listen for the spot the bass is the strongest.
3. Place the sub in that spot.
4. Now calibrate the system for levels and crossover point.

This avoids the scenario where you lean back or move somewhere in the room and the bass suddenly gets strong. It will instead be strongest and in calibration for the listening position.

And if you can't do some/any of that for some reason, at least calibrate the system as well as possible.

Good advice above. I’d add the following.

A. For point 2 above, use a frequency sweep and find most “even” spot, not necessarily loudest.
B. If you can swing it, well placed dual subs offer much more consistent bass around the room.
C. The odds of a sub sounding good through a wall are between slim and none :)

Here’s a manufacturers viewpoint on dual subs. Is it a bit self serving? Yes. But, it is generically accurate based on my personal experience (I don’t own SVS product).

Why Go Dual Subwoofers?

I appreciate all the advice and I will definitely check out that subwoofer setup guide! I COULD place it right in the corner of the room, exterior wall of the house, behind my left main speaker. I think the suggestion to try it in different places is a good one and I will likely do that.

I have 3 subs in a room that is 12' wide (the wall I look at) X 14' long. I am not saying for you to do what I did, but 1 sub is a must.
My viewpoint on subs is to completely fill the bottom end and you get that cool LFE that I notice in QQ some people like and some people don't, I very much like it.
When I added GKI Acoustic bass traps in two front corners that was a big noticeable difference.
I have had basically one sub for years, probably 1992 or so. I with only one sub have picked a corner of room, most of time a front corner. Then I play with crossovers, volume, etc.
If you have an AVR with a type of room correction like Audessy that at least is a very good start.
The You Tubes, putting sub on listening position all good points, but as others have said you have to play with it.
I agree with others putting it in a closet is not a good idea. Look at REL subs they are producing some very small and real nice subs if you thinking about subs. Getting a bigger sub, putting it in closet, turning it up to compensate for closet, don't do it.

Speaker placement in a room carries a lot of weight. Almost more than anything else. The room itself a very close 2nd. (Sometimes dominant in gross cases of reflections and standing waves though.)

You can alter the distance from walls and corners while keeping the proper array angles and orientation between speakers. And then the sub calibration as mentioned. Do any and all of that before touching any eq!

You can spend stupid money on all kinds of things with not much to show for the results. Moving a couple speakers 12" could solve all kinds of issues and make a big impact.

I know this was supposed to be about the sub. Just sayin.

Back