Subwoofer Trials

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• _MG_5487d.jpg
    _MG_5487d.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Long story very short...a Klipsch devotee came upon hard times and we happened to cross paths. One result was the addition of 5 subs to my array including 4 each 15" beauties...now 9 total subs for my subwoofer experiement / trials...and now just my everyday operation.

It's actually pretty incredible....there could probably be a lot of discussion around the merit of this many subs. The pros and cons! But what I've found is, I am quite enjoying it.

As they say, there's no replacement for displacement...🤣😵‍💫

View attachment 91786
Death by chest compression overpressure! But at least you will be remembered as dying with the most toys!

Long story very short...a Klipsch devotee came upon hard times and we happened to cross paths. One result was the addition of 5 subs to my array including 4 each 15" beauties...now 9 total subs for my subwoofer experiement / trials...and now just my everyday operation.

It's actually pretty incredible....there could probably be a lot of discussion around the merit of this many subs. The pros and cons! But what I've found is, I am quite enjoying it.

View attachment 91786
Definately looks cool and likely sounds cool. However you could lose some of them and place diagonal apart, maybe 2 front and 2 rear, facing diagonal towards each other. You also have much flat surface, bass traps and acoustic treatment on walls is a must.
I assume your AVR or Pre/Pro has no more than two LFE outs, so this many subs must be bridged?
You can take one or two as you have so many and connect to the center channel speaker posts for a little low end at the center speaker.
The idea is to create pressure in the room as the low/bass knolls travel in waves and your seat does not want to be when the wave is on a up.
Anyway, congrats on the coolest picture I have seen in awhile.

maybe 2 front and 2 rear, facing diagonal towards each other. You also have much flat surface, bass traps and acoustic treatment on walls is a must.
Good ideas! Acoustic treatments have started to creap into my plans....something to look forward to getting done! Yes, spreading the subs would be great....but I'll have to get rid of my bed to open up the room and create the space needed. I'm very tempted to do so, but not quite sure how to manage someplace to sleep. I guess I could join the wife downstairs, but after about 18 years of solo sleeping....

I assume your AVR or Pre/Pro has no more than two LFE outs, so this many subs must be bridged?
It does, but the legacy Klipsch RSW series subs all have in and out RCA's. They are daisy chained in series.

You can take one or two as you have so many and connect to the center channel speaker posts for a little low end at the center speaker.
The idea is to create pressure in the room as the low/bass knolls travel in waves and your seat does not want to be when the wave is on a up
Thank you for the ideas to try....always game to possibly enhance things!

Anyway, congrats on the coolest picture I have seen in awhile.
It's been fun with all these subs.

Every time I drive by a certain type of construction project, I can't help but look at these & think: WOW! What a great sub-woofer enclosure!

View attachment 91926
You know, we make jokes about this kind of stuff, but the quest for full-range bass does not end with hi-fi equipment. One of the choo choo manufactures came up with a system where there is a transmitter in a model locomotive that sends a signal connected to a subwoofer:

https://www.broadway-limited.com/rollingthunder.aspx

I didn't see any need for a subwoofer until I found put that some of my recordings had too much or too little bass in the region below the low-freq cutoff of my speakers. I got one to extend the range and have it set for flat response when combined with my speakers.

I was watching Dunkirk one night and my wife stuck her head in the theater door and said "You're shaking the house!"
I said "Of course it is, there's a WAR going on in here!. Howitzers will do that"
Of course so will a pair of 18" Gauss subs in 12 cu ft bass reflexes!
Try next Fury (Brad Pitt). I didn't need a subwoofer to cause a commotion.

Every time I drive by a certain type of construction project, I can't help but look at these & think: WOW! What a great sub-woofer enclosure!
Just need a driver that large. LOL

Dr Hsu at Hsu Research used Sonotube concrete construction forms to make his subwoofers in his early days. I used 2 of the 7' tall models with 12" drivers for about 20 years. They could kick some serious bass butt!!!
IMG_0809.JPG

View attachment 91786
Are you related to Phil Spector?

Back