Successor to Sony CD/DVD Player DVP-NS775V

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikomen

QQ Supporter
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a newer model to Sony's CD/DVD player (with multichannel RCA outputs) which plays Multichannel SACD's, DVD-A's that I have connected to my Yamaha AVR multichannel inputs? Unfortunately it doesn't play Blu-ray discs and I was hoping the successor to my player would play Blu-ray discs. Short of buying a discontinued OPPO are there other players out there that play Blu-ray, DVD-A, SACD that have multichannel outputs that I can connect to my multichannel inputs on my Yamaha AVR?

Currently I play Blu-ray Audio/Video on my Sony X-800M2, but although it will play DVD-A's and SACD's, it doesn't have multichannel outputs, so I'm assuming the surround signals are down-mixed to the HDMI ports. Since that's the case, I play SACD's on my DVP-NS775V which has multichannel outputs. Any idea if Sony ever or anyone currently makes a player that plays them all with multi outputs?

You are fine with your M2. Nothing is down-mixed over hdmi. It's capable of sending dsd over hdmi if you prefer that over decoded pcm. It's actually better using hdmi. You can use your avr's room correction on a digital signal, whereas you can't on analog (or if you can, it requires extra analog to digital and then digital to analog conversions). Also, unless you get a high end player, your avr probably has better DACs.

You are fine with your M2. Nothing is down-mixed over hdmi. It's capable of sending dsd over hdmi if you prefer that over decoded pcm. It's actually better using hdmi. You can use your avr's room correction on a digital signal, whereas you can't on analog (or if you can, it requires extra analog to digital and then digital to analog conversions). Also, unless you get a high end player, your avr probably has better DACs.
Thanks!

I guess my concern is when I play SACD's in my Blu-ray player, since it does not have discrete multichannel output like my old SACD player (RCA), then in order to send the original multichannel output signals from the SACD's to my AVR, the Blu-ray player will have to convert or mix them into some other signal type/matrix (Dolby or DTS) in order to send those over an HDMI cable to the AVR. I much prefer the way most of my multichannel SACD's sound connected to my AVR multi-inputs compared to any Dolby or DTS Blu-ray version of the same music. Please excuse my ignorance here. I'm sure I'm missing something. (A good example: comparing multichannel SACD Yes-Fragile (Steven Wilson version) to the Blu-ray Yes-Fragile (Steven Wilson mix again)

Back