Suede "Suede" (SDE Blu-Ray #11 with Steven Wilson stereo, 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another instant buy from me in the SDE surround series. I swear each month I'm always eagerly waiting to see what's next in this series. These last couple releases especially damn... Thank you so much paul.

Okay, to put things in perspective, at least what we were experiencing in the San Francisco Bay Area in the late 1980s and early 90s, was that music was going in different directions, yet again. Gone was the era when you put on the AM radio and you got all the popular songs of the day from many genre’s in one place. Bands were experimenting and going off in many directions. It started in the late 70s with stuff like Punk and New Wave and turned into a bunch sub genres that divided into even more. Not to forget the Reggae revolution that Bob Marley made popular. Bands like “The Damned” went from fast punk songs to more Goth type music. But the result was different music for multiple audiences that came together in some ways, but kept going off in another way. You also had MTV playing The Cure and Run DMC and Page/Plant reunion doing Led Zeppelin songs there as well. You get the idea here.

So, with all this and the rise of FM radio stations with stronger broadcast signals, one genre of music that included Punk, British Pop and Industrial bands like Ministry and NIN was called “Modern Rock.” Commercial radio station Live 105 would play Sex Pistols, The Cure, U2 and a million other bands that ended up being one hit wonders here in the long run of history. But man, there was a Hell of a lot of good music going on in the early 90s and throughout the decade. Nirvana went from a band I saw in small venue as an opening act, to hitting the big time with “Never Mind.” College radio helped fuel this, but commercial Modern Rock radio stations like Live 105 helped bring bands like Nirvana and Green Day over into the mainstream. It was Live 105 that pushed an unknown band called “Radiohead” with their 4 song CD EP that had “Creep” on it into the mainstream by getting them signed with a major label here. It happened because people discovered that EP themselves as a British import, and then whenever “Creep” got played on Live 105, people requested the the hell out of the song, and everything took on a life of its own. It was from a broad cross section of music that had been bubbling for years in the underground music scenes.

Anyway, this is just a taste of the context of the time. So, yes “Animal Nitrate” and “The Drowned” by Suede got a lot of airplay when they came out in the early 90s. The songs were also played along with the top 105 songs of the year, when Live 105 would play all 105 songs on New Year’s Eve. Damn, it took a lot of words to get to this point. But, that’s part of what happened here as I remember it.

I would just add that a lot of the music from all those “Modern Rock” groups was very ethereal and atmospheric. So, there’s a hell of a lot of Surround gold to be remixed from the era. I liked “Animal Nitrate” and “The Drowners.” It brings back memories, but I didn’t buy them at the time. Too many bands at the time to buy everything. This release does give us another opportunity to look back and take everything in as a whole.

But during the time you described......we were not hearing the music
I was/am in Florida and none of the big stations played any new wave of the time. It was all hair bands until Nirvana shook things up with Nevermind. Thankfully we did have one community radio station that had some great DJ's, mostly in the middle of the night. Also a lot of my high school friends, and one next door neighbor, from Canada, were into all the good New Wave.

Cool. I pre-ordered it. Hope Dog Man Star and Coming Up get a similar release too.

And for the record, Suede pre-dated the Britpop invasion by a bit. Think of them as a bridge between The Stone Roses/Happy Mondays and the avalanche of garbage that came after (Blur were good though). Seems like splitting hairs, and it might be, but Suede don't fall into the Britpop bucket for moi.
If they’re anything like Happy Mondays I’d be all in.

this kinda stuff makes me remember stuff that basically paid a lot of payola to get airplay cause I find it totally uninspired and annoying...it seems SW was going through some phase in his life when this came out cause not even with his involvement would I buy this shit!
Yeah, while that drivel was being shoveled down the populace's throat, beautiful, inspired and brilliant stuff like THIS was selling a small fraction of what this was...now, WHY CAN'T WE GET THIS INSTEAD????
LmpwZWc.jpeg

this kinda stuff makes me remember stuff that basically paid a lot of payola to get airplay cause I find it totally uninspired and annoying...it seems SW was going through some phase in his life when this came out cause not even with his involvement would I buy this shit!
Yeah, while that drivel was being shoveled down the populace's throat, beautiful, inspired and brilliant stuff like THIS was selling a small fraction of what this was...now, WHY CAN'T WE GET THIS INSTEAD????
LmpwZWc.jpeg
ah i dunno what da fook you're on about kap?! 😂 💋

it wouldn't only be SW loving this band and this album, it was at one point the quickest selling debut of all time, went straight in at Number 1 (in the UK), it won the Mercury Prize, is often referred to as one of the first Britpop records, musically and lyrically compared to The Smiths and early Bowie and it frequently comes up on "best of all time" type lists.

it's a cherished album of its time and although i personally prefer their later more commercial stuff ("Coming Up" & "Head Music" in particular) it's obvious why SW would go for this, it's another inspired Surround release for SDE. well done them and i look forward to hearing what SW's done with this music in Atmos! 😋🥳

I'd love more Britpop mixes! I know that blur, Elastica, Oasis, The Stone Roses, and Supergrass are great candidates for surround sound.

Oasis's (What's the Story) Morning Glory? was already mixed for surround sound about 20 years back (erroneously, I may add; I have full detailing of it here) and I know fans have been clamoring for a new stereo mix of the band's Be Here Now album, which would probably pair well with a surround sound mix (though it's probably not gonna be the next surround sound mixing of the band... Definitely Maybe and another mix of (What's the Story) Morning Glory? would probably come first, due to sales and whatnot.

Supergrass is probably unlikely for quite a few years, as they seem to be currently going through a series of 2-CD reissues of their discography (including newly-created mixes of many of their singles on their self-titled album).

The Stone Roses' debut affair is approaching its 35th anniversary in 2024, so it is a possible candidate, as they had reissues of that album for its 10th and 20th anniversaries and a recent reunion.

Elastica's self-titled album has hardly received any reissue treatment apart from two LP reissues, interestingly enough. Curious if the members of the band were approached with ideas on how to repackage their debut as a "deluxe edition", and if they declined such offers.

blur is certainly possible candidate, but I have no idea how the band members feel about surround sound. Damon Albarn's side-project Gorillaz has received an Atmos mix of Cracker Island, but I attribute that moreso to the recent penchant to create Atmos mixes for anything and everything, rather than him actually caring about the format. The excellent Blur 21 box set/reissue campaign may stand as the band's definitive series of reissues though.

Honestly, Suede's own Dog Man Star may be the next album of this lot to receive surround sound treatment. The band has this odd habit of continually re-releasing their albums in pointless, similarly-packaged deluxe editions, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they release Dog Man Star in surround sound next year for its 30th anniversary as well.

Last edited:
I just pre-ordered the title. Not my type of music; far, far away from it. To me, all the songs on this album sound the same. It has happened with almost half of the SDE exclusive titles on the series so far. My reason for buying it? support SDE.

Sometimes I get a title that I want to enjoy in surround sound. Of course, I will resell in the future the titles that I don't care about for a good profit when the release of the series is over. Remember, physical media will die eventually.

My advice to everybody is to do the same.

Regards,

Back